Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

    I reopen the thread : (Original author : Archmage Joda)

    To restart :

    Q1 : Camelot was created by Imperium Rite or Practice ?

  • #2
    I'm admittedly bad at this, but... Neither? Camelot was created mundanely but with the guidance and help of Merlin who used its rise and fall to "seal his last omen* " or "exalt his flimflam* " and ascend past archmastery. Infuriated, The Ruin (exarch of fate) removed Camelot from the timeline making it so Camelot never happened. Due to the way these rewrites work, there are hints and leftovers that time missed and left in place.

    * I can never keep the technical terms involved with archmastery ascension straight. Hopefully my error will incite corrections for you


    Continuing to look for a nWoD group in Pennsylvania along 81 near Carlisle.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm brand new to Mage : the Awakening, but I enjoyed the core book so much that I want to pick up a second. But... there are a lot of them. Any recommendations on what to get next?

      Also, are Chronicles where the PCs are Seers a thing, or are they just not done?


      My W20 Play-by-Post Game

      Comment


      • #4
        Q2A) Buy them all. (MORE : buy all the White Wolf/Onyx Path books; from all gamelines)
        Q2B)If you want to play the Seers; "The Seers of the Throne book" of course (Personally I think it is better for a seer chronic to put the players in a place where Seers are not too dominant); That’s fortunate since you are going to buy them all.
        Last edited by Suleri Drals; 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Formosus View Post
          I'm brand new to Mage : the Awakening, but I enjoyed the core book so much that I want to pick up a second. But... there are a lot of them. Any recommendations on what to get next?

          Also, are Chronicles where the PCs are Seers a thing, or are they just not done?
          There's a new corebook coming out near this November. Might not want to buy the whole line yet until we see what is still compatible. I suspect that Intruders, Imperial Mysteries, Left Hand Path, and Seers of the Throne will remain useful, tho not totally compatible.


          Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

          Comment


          • #6
            C'mon; I doubt that many will become incompatible ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Formosus View Post
              I'm brand new to Mage : the Awakening, but I enjoyed the core book so much that I want to pick up a second. But... there are a lot of them. Any recommendations on what to get next?

              Also, are Chronicles where the PCs are Seers a thing, or are they just not done?
              Tome of the Mysteries is pretty much Core Book vol. 2. It's all but required. But as Octavo says, a new core book is coming out in November.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Strill View Post
                Tome of the Mysteries is pretty much Core Book vol. 2. It's all but required. But as Octavo says, a new core book is coming out in November.
                Agreed. Tome of the Mysteries doesn't do much in the way of providing story ideas, but it does offer additional explanations on the magic system, which for me was the hardest thing to understand about Mage.

                After that, I think Banishers and Astral Realms were the strongest books I've read so far. I'm pouring through Left-Hand Path right now and it looks to be just as good.

                Both Banishers and Left-Hand Path both expand on Mage's in-house antagonists in creative and insightful ways. The core book wasn't able to devote enough attention to antagonists because of page count. Both books were so good that by the end I wanted to play a character drawn from them.

                Astral Realms expands the Mage cosmology. I admit I originally wasn't impressed with it's theme and left it 'till last to read. Big Mistake! It is an A+ book of ideas that were new to me. It intorduced concepts that I hadn't considered and largely expanded the area mages can operate in. In the mage line, this is my second favorite book.

                Once you think you fully understand what magic is and how it works, pickup Imperial Mysteries. It will blow your mind. This is my single most favorite RPG Book ever. It takes everything you know about mage and expands it to a cosmic muilti-timeline spanning scale. The book includes things like spells with the ability to think and adapt after being cast, contagious spells, and spells that affect reality retroactively (meaning once the spell has been cast, then the entire world's timeline adapts to it. This effect has ALWAYS been inplace.) It's heady stuff and requires a good grasp on the system to get through, but it's worth it!


                New Question: I was considering how various mutant powers can be be replicated in Mage. Most are fairly straightforward, but I ran into one that I couldn't elegantly fit in system: Phasing. Does anyone have any ideas on how you would structure a spell that allows you to walk through walls?


                Continuing to look for a nWoD group in Pennsylvania along 81 near Carlisle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lunavoco View Post
                  New Question: I was considering how various mutant powers can be be replicated in Mage. Most are fairly straightforward, but I ran into one that I couldn't elegantly fit in system: Phasing. Does anyone have any ideas on how you would structure a spell that allows you to walk through walls?

                  Most phasing powers in World of Darkness simply shift you into twilight. So Death 4 Twilight Shift?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Penta View Post
                    Most phasing powers in World of Darkness simply shift you into twilight. So Death 4 Twilight Shift?
                    That's where I started too, but i didn't like the inclusion of going to twilight since Twilight has it's own set of things present.

                    If Death can be used to grant yourself properties of vampiric undeath, can we do the same for ghostly undeath? Perhaps Death 4 Life 4 to grant insubstantiality like a non-manifest ghost? Or maybe a Space effect to affect collision on your person?


                    Continuing to look for a nWoD group in Pennsylvania along 81 near Carlisle.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If Death can be used to grant yourself properties of vampiric undeath, can we do the same for ghostly undeath? Perhaps Death 4 Life 4 to grant insubstantiality like a non-manifest ghost?
                      You only need Death 4 - Twilight Shift. Ghosts are insubstantial exactly because they are in Twilight. Twilight is not another world like the Shadow but a state of being, namely being ephemeral.


                      "...and then we discovered it wasn't the Robot King after all, it was the real one. Fortunately I was able to reattach the head."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Penta View Post
                        Most phasing powers in World of Darkness simply shift you into twilight. So Death 4 Twilight Shift?
                        If you don't want to go into Twilight, use Space. It lets you cause two objects to occupy the same space without interacting with one another, or with interacting with one another destructively as the mage chooses. That seems pretty close to what you're aiming for with phasing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cesario View Post

                          If you don't want to go into Twilight, use Space. It lets you cause two objects to occupy the same space without interacting with one another, or with interacting with one another destructively as the mage chooses. That seems pretty close to what you're aiming for with phasing.
                          That requires Space 5, and has to be cast on every object you want to pass through. By the time you have Space 5, you're better off just teleporting everywhere you go.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lunavoco View Post
                            I'm admittedly bad at this, but... Neither? Camelot was created mundanely but with the guidance and help of Merlin who used its rise and fall to "seal his last omen* " or "exalt his flimflam* " and ascend past archmastery. Infuriated, The Ruin (exarch of fate) removed Camelot from the timeline making it so Camelot never happened. Due to the way these rewrites work, there are hints and leftovers that time missed and left in place.

                            * I can never keep the technical terms involved with archmastery ascension straight. Hopefully my error will incite corrections for you
                            Thank you for the answer but I do not understand; finally Camelot was created thanks to the mundanely or by omens ? is he broke the Pax Arcanum or not ? this is the generaly result of this kind of omen ?





                            Comment


                            • #15
                              New Q : A ghost-mage can have Numinas based on his Legacy ?
                              Last edited by Suleri Drals; 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X