Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
    Are the effects of Life 2's Purge Illness inherently Lasting? If so, is it possible to have a Mind 2 version of the spell that can rid someone of their addictions?
    Given that resolving mental Conditions already has a spell, Clear Thoughts (Mind 3), I don't think so.

Comment

• And so it does, thank you.

Comment

• Spirits and goetia has Influences relating to their natures, meaning often types of objects, forces, feelings and abstract concepts. It seems to me that souls would hit both the object and abstract concept categories. Is it possible to have Influence: Souls? And, in that case, does that mean that they would be able to create souls with Create and Mass Create when regular mages can't?

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          Spirits and goetia has Influences relating to their natures, meaning often types of objects, forces, feelings and abstract concepts. It seems to me that souls would hit both the object and abstract concept categories. Is it possible to have Influence: Souls? And, in that case, does that mean that they would be able to create souls with Create and Mass Create when regular mages can't?
          Theoretically yes, but I'd be very interested in how the spirit or Goetia got that Influence in the first place.

And by interested I mean, "How the hell are you justifying it within the narrative?!" There being no spiritual reflection of humans, the only creatures who naturally possess souls, seem to imply that souls are not the usual stuff the Shadow interacts with. And since the Oneiros and the Temenos are inside/ made of souls, I doubt Goetia of there having Influence over souls (it'd be like a spirit having Influence over Ephemera, or the Shadow)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Perhaps a Reaper stored enough stolen souls in soul jars to create the Resonant Condition for souls?

Edit: Or, perhaps, a Reaper with Spirit just created or gave a spirit Influence: Souls just because they wanted the spirit to create souls for them?
            Last edited by Tessie; 03-19-2017, 09:58 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• The problem with Resonance and souls is that no mattet how much souls there are and active they are, souls don't seem to produce Soul-Resonance. Otherwise, we'd already be producing soul-spirits by just living, and a city would be a maelstrom of soul-spirits.

Hmm... maybe artificially synthesizing Resonance could work.

Comment

• Do you think a modern version of the old Mind 3 spell Eternal Now would still be possible? If so, do you think it would still be a Fraying spell or something else?

Edit: For those who don't know/remember what the spell did, it suppressed the ability for the target to form new memories for the duration of the spell. It would obviously need to be modernized, for example, Withstood by either Resolve or Composure, but is the basic concept still sound and appropriately assigned Practice-wise?
                Last edited by Ashenrogue; 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Is there any room or precedent in the CofD combat system for making split attacks, hitting multiple targets at once?
                  I primarily ask because I've been wanting for a while for a Fate legacy of mine to be able to "fan the hammer" and take a few people out of the fight (assuming Beaten Down is in effect).
                  Would it be something like a negative dice penalty equal to the number of targets, then having to divide any successes as equally as possible between them?

So say for instance you wanted to cause some painful but not life-threatening wounds to take 3 goons out of the fight, you could suffer a -3 to your attack roll, and with 3 successes would deal 2 damage (light revolver, 1 damage + 1 success each) to each of the individuals. Hopefully enough to deal the single point of lethal needed to hopefully dissuade them from violent action.

Or alternatively, if you're a Mage and a lucky son of a gun, you could potentially suffer as high as a -5 penalty and get really lucky with 5 successes, and people thinking twice about taking you on.

Not quite a "mage" question, but perhaps only feasible for the most skilled and lucky of mortals, or a reasonably prepared Mage.

Comment

• Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
                    Is there any room or precedent in the CofD combat system for making split attacks, hitting multiple targets at once?
                    I primarily ask because I've been wanting for a while for a Fate legacy of mine to be able to "fan the hammer" and take a few people out of the fight (assuming Beaten Down is in effect).
                    Would it be something like a negative dice penalty equal to the number of targets, then having to divide any successes as equally as possible between them?

So say for instance you wanted to cause some painful but not life-threatening wounds to take 3 goons out of the fight, you could suffer a -3 to your attack roll, and with 3 successes would deal 2 damage (light revolver, 1 damage + 1 success each) to each of the individuals. Hopefully enough to deal the single point of lethal needed to hopefully dissuade them from violent action.

Or alternatively, if you're a Mage and a lucky son of a gun, you could potentially suffer as high as a -5 penalty and get really lucky with 5 successes, and people thinking twice about taking you on.

Not quite a "mage" question, but perhaps only feasible for the most skilled and lucky of mortals, or a reasonably prepared Mage.
                    For spellasting attacks, you need only increase the Spell Factor for Scale - Number of Subjects.

For basic combat, you generally cannot hit multiple targets except using automatic firearms with the autofire rules or possessing an applicable Merit (e.g., Martial Arts 3 (Whirlwind Strike), Staff Fighting 4 (Tornado Strike - Hurt Locker) or Two Weapons Fighting 4 (Double Strike - Hurt Locker)).

Comment

• You could probably get away with a spell that enforces Down and Dirty Combat on the targets.

Comment

• For firearms, use Covering Fire.

Comment

• Hey quick question, shouldn't the damage from Devour the Slain spell be Resistant Damage since it's Scouring?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
                            Hey quick question, shouldn't the damage from Devour the Slain spell be Resistant Damage since it's Scouring?
                            It is.

There's been a debate over how whether this makes Death better at inflicting damage, and the Scouring rules and damage-from-spells rules in general. What I remember of the consensus is that yes, inflicting resistant damage and gaining Mana while doing it is awesome, but not that overwhelmingly so.

Comment

• But the spell itself doesn't say it is resistant damage. Do you have a source that says it is?

Comment

• Just inferring it, since the spell is still a variant of Scouring without saying anything about the resistant bit being altered, and how Dave never bothered to correct people assuming the spell inflicting resistant damage in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X