Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by WHW View Post
    We specifically don't want to go for Windstrike, because it's a Direct Damage spell, and thus deals only Bashing, can't be "combined" with a similar spell, and in general, the player in question want to create an effect where damage is a side-effect and a consequence of "physics" kicking in. Kind of like how controlling electricity to apply environmental rules using Forces isn't a Direct Damage spell
    Perhaps you could use weaving to increase the reactivity of the air within the spells area and wait for someone to light up a cigarette?

    Comment


    • I like the imagery of the mage throwing a cigarette into the "charged zone" to explode it, yes, hmm.

      Comment


      • A reason to play a chain smoking John Constantine direct from the comics? Hell yeah!


        Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post
          Perhaps you could use weaving to increase the reactivity of the air within the spells area and wait for someone to light up a cigarette?

          Edit: The reference might not be obvious to everyone - Roy can change the oxygen content of an area at-will, and his gloves produce sparks. Oxygen-rich environment + ignition source == boom.

          Comment


          • Generally this would still be better covered by a damage spell mechanic, though.
            Considering lethal damage via "this is now explosive" will usually be patterning, you'll need Matter 4 just the same.
            So you can go roy mustang with matter just fine.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Synapse View Post
              Generally this would still be better covered by a damage spell mechanic, though.
              Considering lethal damage via "this is now explosive" will usually be patterning, you'll need Matter 4 just the same.
              So you can go roy mustang with matter just fine.

              Not really, honestly. We avoid direct damage spells because they are very lackluster when compared to indirect "damage as a consequence of consequences" spells - stuff like Forces ruling, Poison/Sick/Grave Misfortune loops, Shifting-Sands-Into-Unavoidable-Damage loops, "game over" tilts/conditions etc. That, and we play at Arcana hard locked at 3, with 4 being rare mastery.
              As for Roy Mustang, I honestly didn't recognize it, because I haven't actually read or watch FMA yet.

              Comment


              • He snaps fingers and stuff blows up. Nothing too deep for this discussion.

                Why is the damage spell lackluster?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                  He snaps fingers and stuff blows up. Nothing too deep for this discussion.

                  Why is the damage spell lackluster?
                  It doesn't do enough damage. It's just plain better to drop someone into a lava pit or blind and suffocate him.


                  [2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                    He snaps fingers and stuff blows up. Nothing too deep for this discussion.

                    Why is the damage spell lackluster?

                    As Moinen said. 3-8 bashing damage isn't that big of a deal unless you can a) deal it multiple times in a short window (and you can't because they are banned from being Combined, b) people start doing the Wyrdhamster's Players Godkilling Stratagem of going "all four of us casts damaging spell at the same target in the same turn", especially when compared to damage potential of things like Control Electricity/Heat/Fire, or the power of things like "I Shield you from Oxygen, go suffocate" or other ways to simply manipulate the environment/physics in a way that do the desired amount of disabling and harm.
                    I mean, why bother casting Windstrike if I can turn all of the oxygen around (and in) you into a solid, probably disabling you outright (as a bonus, I don't even have to care about any kind of Withstand)

                    Comment


                    • Also, because using the freeform casting system of Mage to do interesting things by interacting with the environment rather than just direct damage like a DnD Wizard casting fireball is cool.


                      Comment


                      • I need some clarification on the Gnosis Chart on page 86, and unfortunately the text that describes the fields isn't much better. The first column labeled as Max, can you only have on Arcanum at that level? and all other Arcanum is limited to the Second Max Column? or is the First Max Column the Max of your ruling Arcanum and all other are limited to the second Column? If it is the first way then there is no 5 Gnosis Double Masters correct?

                        Gnosis Max Max Other
                        1 3 2
                        2 3 3
                        3 4 3
                        4 4 4
                        5 5 4
                        6 5 5

                        Comment


                        • It's as your first interpretation. The "Max" column is the maximum for your highest Arcanum. The "Max Other" column is the maximum for all other Arcana your character knows. So you're correct about there not being any Gnosis 5 Second-degree Masters. Well, unless they manage to drop in Gnosis somehow while still being able to retain their Arcana.


                          Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                          Comment


                          • Ok Thank you for the response.

                            Comment


                            • Let's talk a little about Legacies.
                              Since if a Legacy Attainment would require a measurement of its successes, it automatically scores a number of successes equal to the mage’s dots in the highest prerequisite Arcanum.

                              If I'm creating a Attainment and decide to use it as an Aimed spell, I would get some automatic success or would need to roll it?
                              I know that even 5 sucesses can be evaded with Dodge actions, but for some social Attainments this would be really great.


                              Check my homebrews:
                              Vampire Bloodlines: Kiasyd
                              Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
                                Let's talk a little about Legacies.
                                Since if a Legacy Attainment would require a measurement of its successes, it automatically scores a number of successes equal to the mage’s dots in the highest prerequisite Arcanum.

                                If I'm creating a Attainment and decide to use it as an Aimed spell, I would get some automatic success or would need to roll it?
                                I know that even 5 sucesses can be evaded with Dodge actions, but for some social Attainments this would be really great.
                                You'd have to roll, throwing a spell isn't a part of casting it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X