Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Artifacts also act as a DMT.

Comment

• I don't know if this has been asked already, but can you spend a Willpower to bolster spellcasting? Like, when I'm determining Gnosis+ Arcana+Yantras etc,etc, can Willpower be spent to increase your chances of succeeding in casting that spell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rahuman101 View Post
        I don't know if this has been asked already, but can you spend a Willpower to bolster spellcasting? Like, when I'm determining Gnosis+ Arcana+Yantras etc,etc, can Willpower be spent to increase your chances of succeeding in casting that spell?
        Yes, it certainly can.

Comment

• If souls are part of Death's purview, why can't you just create them with Death 5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
            If souls are part of Death's purview, why can't you just create them with Death 5?
            Same reason you can't just create a Specter out of whole cloth at Death 5 — some things are outside the purview of Travelers' Arcana regardless of semantics.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Specters aren't part of Death's purview though. Souls are. Find me one purview in the book that can't be created, other than realms and souls.
              Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 10-02-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Specters aren't part of Death's purview though.
                The Arcanum is literally used to summon them in their capacity as symbols of Death.

Souls are.
                They're also a finite resource that stops mortal Integrity from falling out, provides benefits to half the Arcana including Death, and makes Awakened magic work without constant Paradox. If anything was going to provide an exception to the soft rules for what magic can and can't do, souls would be fairly high on the list.

Find me one purview in the book that can't be created, other than realms and souls.
                I can find several, as a matter of fact, and while I recognize that the spirit of your request means "evolution, crafting, conjuration, etc" isn't what you meant, skating past "regardless of semantics" in the name of making it clear your original question was not remotely sincere means it's hard for me to care less.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

If souls are part of Death's purview, why can't you just create them with Death 5?

Slighty more helpful that Satchel:

Some discussion about needing all 5 subtle Arcana and then this:

Last edited by totalgit; 10-03-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Another example for something that would need the practice of Entities (Arcanum 7) instead of a simple making spell would be directly awakening another person. Even masters of Prime can't do it, doesn't matter that Magic and the Supernal Realms are in the purview of the Prime Arcanum. Prime 7 on the other side can slap an awakening onto someone else.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Souls can't be created with magic because the developers want them to be a limited and morally complicated resource. Whether or not there's precedent for that is irrelevant, because it is a deliberate and explicit departure from usual way of things. It is a decision made on mechanical and storytelling grounds, where the worldbuilding justification basically amounts to "it is a mystery".

Asking why you can't make souls with Death 5 is like asking why you can't alter existing spells - the answer is "because that's how magic works in this setting".

Comment

• Originally posted by totalgit View Post

Slighty more helpful that Satchel:

Some discussion about needing all 5 subtle Arcana and then this:

Thanks for the helpful answer. That makes sense.

Comment

• "System: Counterspell is a Clash of Wills (see p. 117), pitting the acting mage’s Gnosis + Arcanum against the countering mage’s Gnosis + Arcanum. A mage can attempt to counter any spell that uses the Arcanum, even if it uses other Arcana as well, but always counters the highest Arcanum of a target spell. The comparative ratings of the two mages’ Arcana are irrelevant; an Initiate can, in theory, counter the spell of a Master. Countering the spell of a mage with a higher rating in the target Arcanum, however, requires that the player spend a point of Mana. Counterspell requires an instant action. If the mage is employing Active Mage Sight (see p. 90), she can attempt to counter a spell of the appropriate Arcanum in combat, regardless of her position in the Initiative order, provided she has not used her action yet."

Question, for this. Looking at it, it felt as if this highlighted portion here meant the Arcanum of the spell.

IE: A Master of Mind using a Mind 1 spell with a Gnosis of 5 would roll 5+1, not 5+5 vs the attempt to counter it. That kinda makes sense, because no matter how well done, a 'Knowing' spell is a Knowing spell. But I just want to check that I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Laurent View Post

IE: A Master of Mind using a Mind 1 spell with a Gnosis of 5 would roll 5+1, not 5+5 vs the attempt to counter it. That kinda makes sense, because no matter how well done, a 'Knowing' spell is a Knowing spell. But I just want to check that I'm not barking up the wrong tree.
                            No, the acting mage's Gnosis + Arcanum would be his Gnosis + his rating in the Arcanum he uses for the spell. So a Master of Mind would add 5 for the Arcanum, wether he casts a Knowing, Fraying or Making spell. At least that's how I understand it. Knowing spells are not inherently easier to counter than Making spells. Iirc when you use counterspell you mess up the imago as it is forming, not the spell itself.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Clashes of Wills always use the characters' ratings, not the spells'.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Laurent View Post
                                "System: Counterspell is a Clash of Wills (see p. 117), pitting the acting mage’s Gnosis + Arcanum against the countering mage’s Gnosis + Arcanum. A mage can attempt to counter any spell that uses the Arcanum, even if it uses other Arcana as well, but always counters the highest Arcanum of a target spell. The comparative ratings of the two mages’ Arcana are irrelevant; an Initiate can, in theory, counter the spell of a Master. Countering the spell of a mage with a higher rating in the target Arcanum, however, requires that the player spend a point of Mana. Counterspell requires an instant action. If the mage is employing Active Mage Sight (see p. 90), she can attempt to counter a spell of the appropriate Arcanum in combat, regardless of her position in the Initiative order, provided she has not used her action yet."

It doesnt mention it under counterspell but does the spell being countered gain bonus dice from advanced duration + potency? I assume it does since it refers to the clash of wills rules and that they are just not repeating text to save space?

Comment

Working...
                                X