Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by totalgit View Post
    It doesnt mention it under counterspell but does the spell being countered gain bonus dice from advanced duration + potency? I assume it does since it refers to the clash of wills rules and that they are just not repeating text to save space?
    Almost certainly.

Does the Withstand bonus from Advanced Potency apply to Dissonance checks? The rating otherwise has no way of getting better due to being keyed off of the spell's Arcanum rating rather than the caster's, which makes me inclined to guess that it does, but Advanced Potency isn't directly mentioned in the section on Dissonance at all.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by totalgit View Post

It doesnt mention it under counterspell but does the spell being countered gain bonus dice from advanced duration + potency? I assume it does since it refers to the clash of wills rules and that they are just not repeating text to save space?
      I personally rule no for the simple reason that duration and advanced potency are properties of the spell. Counterspelling messes with the imago before it is finalized, preventing the spell from coming into existence in the first place. The imago itself does have neither advanced potency nor a duration beyond instant.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Counterspelling isn't dispellation. You're not fighting the spell, you're fighting the mage. I don't see any reason that any of the methods of bolstering the spell would affect it.

One more reason to prep stuff in private. I guess.

Comment

• A question on spell damage and potency. Is the potency of the spell added to the number of successes similar to weapon damage? A mage with gnosis 2 forces 3 casts a ephemeral fireball that does bashing damage. So the base damage is 3 for potency if the mage rolls one success than it's 4 bashing or 3? and if that's the case the max potency that can be done is 5?

Comment

• No. Spells are all or nothing. Damage spells will only do damage equal to the levels of potency you give them. There's no limit to how high this can go though, as long as you have enough dice to spend.

Comment

• 5 would be the max for free potency, not the max for total potency.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

• got it thanks!

Comment

• What's the practical limit?

I figure Gnosis 5 + Arcana 5 + 5 Mudra + 3 Willpower - 14 (+7 Potency) = 4 dice to roll. 12 Aggravated for a one turn instant spell is quite a bit of damage.

Comment

• Yeah, so what?

Comment

• So that's probably enough to kill something

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                        So that's probably enough to kill something
                        For something that costs Mana and Willpower, risks Paradox, and requires borderline superhuman Skill and Gnosis, sure. At the same level a Master can very likely just instantly kill the average mortal without even bothering with damage numbers. Where is the question here?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Yeah, an unmaking spell with half that much potency is going to get past the withstand of most things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            For something that costs Mana and Willpower, risks Paradox, and requires borderline superhuman Skill and Gnosis, sure. At the same level a Master can very likely just instantly kill the average mortal without even bothering with damage numbers. Where is the question here?
                            It wasn't a question. It was an observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                              It wasn't a question. It was an observation.
                              You started out by asking what the practical limit was, and then followed it with what in hindsight with further elaboration is your observation of a possible damage output equation, which isn’t tied to your question.

Basically, you managed to create some communication confusion by asking a rhetorical question in a non-rhetorical question thread.

Comment

• *Enters the thread*
                                "This seems like a job for Distraction-Man!"

Hey Johnny Awesome, did your game reach the Acamoth yet? I'm as curious as I am needy for feedback.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Working...
                                X