No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hence the value of becoming a master of an arcanum and creating your own rotes. But honestly, you don't need more than 5-7 dice to be regularly succeeding on your spell casting rolls. Any dice above that can be used towards powering the spell, which comes back to the point of looking for an alternative solution to your problem if you can't get enough power into your spell.

Comment

• I feel bad for asking this.

If a spell’s duration is measured in turns (let’s say, 3), does it take effect the turn is is cast then last for 3 *more* turns? Or 3 turns total including the turn it is cast?

I’m assuming the latter, I just wanted to be certain. Thanks!

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

• Three turns starting with, and including, the one in which it was cast.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• The Space spell "Create Sympathy" has been bugging my mind for a little while. The spell is still subject to casting range, right? Like, if I were a master of Space I would not be able to just create a connection between a famous person and a place without having both subjects of the spell (or both ends) to be within range, right? Or is it based off of the fact that I'm targeting a sympathetic connection that doesn't yet exist, thus distance doesn't matter?

Comment

• I think you need one of them in range.

Comment

• You can't target something that doesn't exist, both targets to be connected via sympathy have to be targeted, which includes range (though this can be sympathetic range using an allready existing sympathy) and scale.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
                The Space spell "Create Sympathy" has been bugging my mind for a little while. The spell is still subject to casting range, right? Like, if I were a master of Space I would not be able to just create a connection between a famous person and a place without having both subjects of the spell (or both ends) to be within range, right? Or is it based off of the fact that I'm targeting a sympathetic connection that doesn't yet exist, thus distance doesn't matter?

You need both of them in range. This can mean that you cast it by seeing or touching the unknown "end" and use sympathetic range to target someone you know without their presence being necessary. You can't cast it on your friend and make a connection to a person you've never met and who isn't there.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

• Since Rewrite History allows you to temporarily remove a template from a character then couldn’t you also use it to change or add a template?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    Since Rewrite History allows you to temporarily remove a template from a character then couldn’t you also use it to change or add a template?
                    Dont see why not assuming having the temportal sympathy for the point of divergence then for the duration of the spell the targets entire history has been to be that other template if possible.

I would keep the "cannot change the if born/made as the template" part and only allow templates one can become/transform to during their lives.
                    Last edited by totalgit; 10-19-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Since Rewrite History allows you to temporarily remove a template from a character then couldn’t you also use it to change or add a template?
                      While I wouldn't say "no," I'd almost certainly have that be another/more expensive Reach effect, given that even without a limitation of "only for templates the character is personally and intimately familiar with" we're talking about altering the history of a monster than may be part of one of the many secretive stretches of the cosmology — making it so that a changeling never encountered their Keeper is one thing, but contriving the presence of a Stranger you've never met is a whole different bag of chips that may get into multiple targets.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• This is something I could see being one of those things that should work but doesn't, like soul creation.

Comment

• Wow, 1E legacies were really weird! Between Blank Badges using Occultation instead of arcana, Legions sheer weirdness, and some other stuff, I don't know how to think about a 2E rendition of Scions of God.

So here's a question, Scions of God seem to flipflop on the use of optional effects on attainments, and flipflop on using space or prime for additional bonuses to the main attainments. What do you all think about that? Does it make sense for a legacy to use multiple or different arcana for their optional effects if the legacy accepts comers from all paths?

Comment

• Nah, Scions of God was a mess.

It seems like it'd be a fairly straightforward Spirit/Space legacy, Prime doesn't actually do anything for it except allow you to use Essence and Mana interchangeably, and you might be able to get away with that as a 4th or 5th attainment if you really felt that you had to have that as a power (I wouldn't).

Pretty much all legacies accept comers from all Paths if they want in, usually by belonging to an Order the Legacy associates with.
                            Last edited by Mrmdubois; 10-20-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Legacy attainments can explicitly be weird, so asking whether or not something "makes sense" for legacy attainments would depend entirely on the individual legacy.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Nah, Scions of God was a mess.

It seems like it'd be a fairly straightforward Spirit/Space legacy, Prime doesn't actually do anything for it except allow you to use Essence and Mana interchangeably, and you might be able to get away with that as a 4th or 5th attainment if you really felt that you had to have that as a power (I wouldn't).

Pretty much all legacies accept comers from all Paths if they want in, usually by belonging to an Order the Legacy associates with.
                                Well I meant more that Scions are more open about it. I'm glad you agree that it was a bit of a mess. It went from no optional effect, to a space optional, to suddenly a prime optional. It's just weird. I wanted to narrow it down and think about it because if it were allowed, then a 2E homebrew might, within the internal logic of "becoming a holy angel", include a scary-good words-and-signs optional effect, and a co-location optional effect geared toward being summoned, as in its limited to only allowing you to co-locate if someone wants your presence, but once they summon you, you can co-locate paradox-free (which sounds really good). It could get even weirder by possibly making it a projection instead of an actual teleport, sort of like sending a royal avatar to whoever summoned you.

And when I thought about that stuff I realized it could make other legacies, especially small uncanon ones, or self-made ones for antagonists or player characters, ridiculously flexible and strong. So even though examples like that of a 2E Scions with swapping space/prime optional effects could make a cool-looking legacy about approaching the powers of the Celestines/ilusahim , and were allowed for that legacy, I can't help but think about what other npc's would think about the legacy, what they'd cook up.

I could kind of see it better if the optional effects at least stayed on the same path, but for Scions it does not.

Mrmdubois thanks again for your reply, because I was stuck between picking space or prime for their secondary effects, and this helps me narrow it down if it seems that Scions prefer space over prime. I personally couldn't tell, prime fits the holy theme, but space seemed to be more conducive to being "more than human". And my aforementioned co-location as a form of being summoned, not unlike another spirit, just sounds so useful and so-in-theme for the Scions. Having trouble? Call on your archangel!

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
                                Legacy attainments can explicitly be weird, so asking whether or not something "makes sense" for legacy attainments would depend entirely on the individual legacy.
                                I suppose but, I do like consistency with legacies because it helps paint the idea that soul-shaping is a known process that calls on specific talents to allow it to happen. If the optional effects for a legacy can be whatever, and that was known to magic-at-large, then any mad-genius who wanted to make their own legacy and pushed themselves to do it could make incredibly potent attainments. I feel that creates a conundrum for world-building, for npc's and for player characters. I like weird if it involved weird extremes, like how Legion's Ruling Arcanum is Life, but that doesnt' affect the powers the attainment gives, it just allows the body to harbor a gulmoth that acts as the actual power.

The weirdness of Scions felt a bit arbitrary to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X