Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post
    If there is an old picture or video recording of something being concealed with magic how would that interact with Mage sight? It should cause a clash when viewed with active mage sight right? But, is there anyway it could trigger peripheral mage sight? I'm trying to lay some breadcrumbs for my players.
    It wouldn't reveal anything actually, it might reveal something if it was recorded via that Prime spell in the SoS spoilers. The exception would probably be if there was a Veiling spell cast on the medium that portrayed a supernatural event itself, if the proper Mage Sight was applied.

So, I think you'll either have to make the supernal event more obvious (Hidden only by Quiesence from Sleepers), or under the direct influence of a spell of some sort.

In either case, unless there's an actual supernatural event happening via viewing the medium, I don't think PMS would trigger.

Comment

• Another thought. You could say the photograph/recording itself picked up some residual mojo from what-ever-it-was, and that's what's pining their Sight. Like, if the picture is of a ghost, the camera happened to get some ectoplasm or whatever smudged on it.

I have to disappear for a while. Read this fanfiction while I'm gone.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• I don't know if this counts as a simple question, but. . .

I have this fragment of a memory of living spells: essentially spells that had taken on a life and even sentience of their own, and like float around and affect hapless passers-by with whatever piece of magic they represent. Does anyone know what book that's from? Or did I just completely make it up just think it's part of the Mage setting?

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
          I don't know if this counts as a simple question, but. . .

I have this fragment of a memory of living spells: essentially spells that had taken on a life and even sentience of their own, and like float around and affect hapless passers-by with whatever piece of magic they represent. Does anyone know what book that's from? Or did I just completely make it up just think it's part of the Mage setting?
          That sounds like a synthesis of self-sustaining spells from Dynamics and the Tulpas of Mad Ones, but otherwise I don't recall anything in that vein.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            That sounds like a synthesis of self-sustaining spells from Dynamics and the Tulpas of Mad Ones, but otherwise I don't recall anything in that vein.
            That's fair. I did a bit of research, and I think what I was actually thinking of was something from D&D. Ah well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomaz View Post
              For space mage armor "if the character successfully dodges an attack the player can spend one point of mana to redirect the attack to another applicable target. The attack hits with successes equal to the mages space arcanum rating"

5) In the case of some fisticuffs someone tries to attack the mage are they a valid target for having their fist redirected back to themselves?
              This is plausible without magic, so why not when bending space?

(ed. note: The damage inflicted is mostly conserved if you simply dodge unexpectedly. This doesn't lead to a punch landing a punch, necessarily, but it does deliver a similar jolt to the body due to momentum and impulse. Generally, jabs and crosses won't redirect to jabs and crosses, but uppercuts and roundhouses might by simply extending the arcs. Stabs and slashes more frequently result in stabs and slashes.)
              Last edited by thenate; 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

• Well, here's a couple questions that will make it obvious which supplement I just read:

1) Do Pangeans trigger Paradox normaly when they use their Arcana?

2) And/or do they get unlimited reach like a Supernal entity?

3) Also, is there any particular reason why a Pangean's casting pool is Rank + Arcana? That's going to be a much smaller pool than an equivalent Supernal entity's Power+Finesse. *confused face*

4) Would this post be better if I let my computer auto-correct "Pangeans" to "Penguins"?

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
                  Well, here's a couple questions that will make it obvious which supplement I just read:

1) Do Pangeans trigger Paradox normaly when they use their Arcana?

2) And/or do they get unlimited reach like a Supernal entity?

3) Also, is there any particular reason why a Pangean's casting pool is Rank + Arcana? That's going to be a much smaller pool than an equivalent Supernal entity's Power+Finesse. *confused face*

4) Would this post be better if I let my computer auto-correct "Pangeans" to "Penguins"?

1 & 2 are directly related concepts. There is no mention of a different system for Pangean Arcana use and they are not supernal entities, so the normal casting rules seem to apply. (At absurd ranks, they might start to use the same sort of crazy rules that spirits do.)

3: They still get their full dose of Numina and Influence. Pangeans aren't hurting for power.
                  4: Yes.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

• I know that any Major Template doesn't play well with any other supernatural source of power, but is it possible to stack Minor Templates? For instance, is it possible for someone to simultaneously be a Proximus, a Wolf-Blooded and a Stigmatic?

Comment

• I don't think there's anything officially ruling it out. Personally, I'd Rule of Cool it. If the character concept and backstory worked, I'd let a player stack minor templates. That said, I know from personal experience that crossing gamelines in play can be tricky (corruption of themes and all that). Also, more than two templates does seem to be getting a little silly.

Concerning Proximus and Wolf-blooded specifically, an idea crossed my mind for a Proximus Dynasty that was also an entire family of wolf-bloods. Mechanically, I'd roll their Tell into the family curse for simplicity.

Comment

• Originally posted by zinay View Post
                        I know that any Major Template doesn't play well with any other supernatural source of power, but is it possible to stack Minor Templates? For instance, is it possible for someone to simultaneously be a Proximus, a Wolf-Blooded and a Stigmatic?
                        The writers expressed that templates aren’t an in-universe thing. Just something for convenience of writing and playing the games. Which means there’s no real ban on template stacking.

But the trick lies in making the stacking look at least plausible, which is where I believe most ideas get sunk. If you can get past that, then great.

Oh, and a lot of the semi-official template stacking seems to spawn things that are markedly different from both ‘ingredients,’ or add one’s elements to the another, instead of straight-up combining them. Like the infamous Admonitoria, or possibly the Tremere Liches.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• It all depends on the purpose of stacking templates. If a ST wants to throw a curve ball at some PC's who think they know it all then sure i can see a hybrid template doing that. But if its a PC just wanting to stack templates for power sthen that is for me is a huge red flag and i probably shouldnt allow it.

Comment

• Originally posted by zinay View Post
                            I know that any Major Template doesn't play well with any other supernatural source of power
                            Explicitly not the case any longer in 2E per Word of God

Comment

• If someone uses Sever Oath to alter (but not destroy) a magical oath that another person has taken, does this trigger a Clash of Wills against the original caster of Sworn Oaths? Further, does the mage who originally cast Sworn Oaths know that the oath was altered?

Comment

• Yes and Yes.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
                                X