Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1. For what can mages use ectoplasm created by death arcana ?
    2. In a combat situation how can a mage defend against a Forces 4 Thunderbolt spell with potency 7 ?

    Comment


    • For question 2:

      Alter Conductivity (Matter 3) can make a mage resistant to electric damage up to Potency (maybe Potency 7?). Forces Mage Armor would do the same. There are a million spells to make one intangible (Death 3, Ghost Gate), or to jump to another realm (Spirit), or to create a Space separate from the chaos outside world (Space, Ban, etc.) or to allow mages to pre-empt or reverse other actions (Time). Counter Spell would also work, as would any spells to remove Clouds from the sky by altering the weather.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Stralos View Post
        1. For what can mages use ectoplasm created by death arcana ?
        2. In a combat situation how can a mage defend against a Forces 4 Thunderbolt spell with potency 7 ?
        1) It can be used for what the Ectoplasmic shaping spell uses it for. A mirror to see ghosts/twilight things and create the open condition for ghosts on. He can create it himself with the ectoplasm spell (before this he needs to find it another way) and then he can also then use shape epherera to make it into a rating 2 weapon or 2 points or armor, only useful vs twilight things though but still handy sometimes.

        2) Amravanti Thunderbolt channels ambient energies and doesnt require a cloud or to be outside to work.(your thinking of the call lightning spell), Alter Conductivity reduces electrical damage by 2 per potency, so 4 should be enough to reduce thunderbolt, however the spell is only called thunderbolt but describes it as ambient energy so might not be electrical, however the reach for AC makes it include all energy so i think that would definitely work.


        I find the best way to avoid everything is colocate with the +2 reach for 2 reflexive moves, also keyed to only yourself or allies. Its alot of extra reach but being able to reflexively pop up, smack somebody then reflexively pop away and your opponent not being able to do anything is highly frustrating,bonus points if you make yourself visible from either location so your opponents can see their attacks pass right through you. This requires being prepped beforehand though..

        Counterspell will also potentially work, either with prime or forces. Here the potency of the spell doesnt matter its just a gnosis + arcana vs gnosis + arcana.

        The problem with being in twilight/ jumping into the spirit realm etc is that you'd have to win init and do it before he gets his spell off.

        He cant cast on you if he cant see/sense you (barring space 2 etc), so anything that can create a opaque barrier between you and him would also potentually work,Ban, creating/shaping/moving a wall/object with matter? Making it dark, blinding him (though he can prob still use other senses maybe) but again these all require acting before him and setting stuff up again.

        Really the best chance if not able to have things prepared before he casts is counterspell. Its here that N+1 obv becomes useful. Counterspell uses your action too, but if you have another mage with you then one can counter and the other can cast offensive things and obv 2 v 1 its highly likely the 2 will win.
        Last edited by totalgit; 02-10-2018, 09:31 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by projectmoon View Post
          If someone uses Sever Oath to alter (but not destroy) a magical oath that another person has taken, does this trigger a Clash of Wills against the original caster of Sworn Oaths? Further, does the mage who originally cast Sworn Oaths know that the oath was altered?
          Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
          Yes and Yes.
          Weirdly negating the oath via Sever Oath wouldnt trigger a CoW's though right, the only reason it triggers one when you try to change it is because of two effects trying to do the same thing and only one can be in place?
          Last edited by totalgit; 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM.

          Comment


          • That was my reasoning, and given that a mage always knows when their spells are being Clashed with, they would know something is up. Good point on the negation thing, I really didn't consider it.


            I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
              That was my reasoning, and given that a mage always knows when their spells are being Clashed with, they would know something is up. Good point on the negation thing, I really didn't consider it.
              Probably better to negate it then put your own on after then rather than alter somebody elses. Though A mage can detect when one of his spells is dispelled right so probably can sense when its severed. His spell control will return at least so i assume mages at least sense that?
              Last edited by totalgit; 02-10-2018, 10:18 PM.

              Comment


              • My mistake. You're right, I thought he was referring to Call Lightning.
                Last edited by Amravanti; 02-12-2018, 12:29 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by totalgit View Post

                  Probably better to negate it then put your own on after then rather than alter somebody elses. Though A mage can detect when one of his spells is dispelled right so probably can sense when its severed. His spell control will return at least so i assume mages at least sense that?
                  Unless they had relinquished it, yeah, you are right. I can't remember if is actually stated as plainly as the thing about the spells clashing, but I assume a mage does have an instinctual knowledge of their Spell Control limits, so they know when they are going to push past its limits or when they are no longer sustaining a spell that's been dispelled.


                  I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

                  Comment


                  • How does healing magic interact with sleepers in regards to paradox? I assume you might be able to skirt around it with a clever 2 or 1 dot effect, but I'm assuming all 3 dot or greater practices will probably cause it.

                    Similarly curing something dramatic like cancer or ebola with magic might be very likely to cause paradox.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post
                      How does healing magic interact with sleepers in regards to paradox? I assume you might be able to skirt around it with a clever 2 or 1 dot effect, but I'm assuming all 3 dot or greater practices will probably cause it.

                      Similarly curing something dramatic like cancer or ebola with magic might be very likely to cause paradox.
                      They might risk (not cause) Paradox, but once the cure is in there’s nothing there for Dissonance to unravel unless you’ve done something like Regeneration.

                      Comment


                      • If the spell introduces a mundane cure it won't cause paradox. If the spell itself is a cure that works over time you might encounter some Quiescence IF you can't pass it of as mundane medication or treatment. If the cure is instantaneous you'll encounter Paradox.


                        Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                        Comment


                        • Fortunately, most healing effects of the "no, you didn't take three lethal" variety are lasting, so Dissonance won't undo them. But you will roll Paradox, and the Sleeper you healed will experience a Breaking Point and Quiescence.


                          Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                            Fortunately, most healing effects of the "no, you didn't take three lethal" variety are lasting, so Dissonance won't undo them. But you will roll Paradox, and the Sleeper you healed will experience a Breaking Point and Quiescence.
                            Interesting, this gives me an idea for a future story arc. Stories will come filtering in of a 'miracle worker' going around healing the blind and such.
                            Last edited by Enlightened_Milkman; 02-12-2018, 05:56 PM. Reason: Grammar is hard.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post

                              Interesting, this gives me an idea for a future story arc. Stories will come filtering in of a 'miracle worker' going around healing the blind and such.
                              Hmm, If its obvious magic and quiescence is involved then all sleeper parties will forget and not be able to spread stories? Sleepwalkers are gossips!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by totalgit View Post

                                Hmm, If its obvious magic and quiescence is involved then all sleeper parties will forget and not be able to spread stories? Sleepwalkers are gossips!!!

                                Pentacle Magicians are always afraid of those who speak of "creating" Sleepwalkers, because you never really know what will drive them over the edge of Sleeperdom, of or sanity.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X