No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has probably been asked before, but I cannot find it anywhere.

How do AOE spells interact with touch/self range? I've always played it such that the origin point for the AOE must be yourself or somewhere within arm's reach (which will probably still include you in the area of the spell anyway). But could you, for example, originate the edge of your area at your fingertip, thus excluding yourself from the area of the spell?

Comment

• Originally posted by projectmoon View Post
      This has probably been asked before, but I cannot find it anywhere.

How do AOE spells interact with touch/self range? I've always played it such that the origin point for the AOE must be yourself or somewhere within arm's reach (which will probably still include you in the area of the spell anyway). But could you, for example, originate the edge of your area at your fingertip, thus excluding yourself from the area of the spell?
      I don’t see why not.

Comment

• Are a Mage's attempts to teleport a target rendered ineffective if the target exists in multiple planes simultaneously?

Comment

• Originally posted by TriCitiesLodge View Post
          Are a Mage's attempts to teleport a target rendered ineffective if the target exists in multiple planes simultaneously?
          No, though depending on how that works you might only move one part of their existence. For instance if a Mage is in the Astral and you teleport their body it won’t move their dream form.

Comment

Are a Mage's attempts to teleport a target rendered ineffective if the target exists in multiple planes simultaneously?
            In what way do you mean "exist in multiple planes simultaneously"? An example would both be useful and interesting.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by projectmoon View Post
              This has probably been asked before, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Covered way back in the day:
              Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
              Any part of the area has to be within touch / sensory range, not all of it. You can make D&D like cones if you want to.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I figured it had been addressed somewhere, thanks.

Comment

• Question: What type of Demesne is formed when Mages from multiple different paths work together to make a larger Demesne? Which Supernal Realm should it be symbolically linked to, if any? If the Demesne is big enough, could they in theory deck out individual rooms to their tastes in order to make them semiotically suitable for all the different types of spell they would want to cast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

In what way do you mean "exist in multiple planes simultaneously"? An example would both be useful and interesting.
                    Something or someone that is bleeding through or traveling from one realm to another. Or someone in their dream realm while their body is in the physical realm.

Comment

Something or someone that is bleeding through or traveling from one realm to another. Or someone in their dream realm while their body is in the physical realm.
                      Well, I answered the question of a dream body, results might differ depending on the state of the subject and other realm interactions though or the arcana of the Mage attempting the transportation though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
                        Question: What type of Demesne is formed when Mages from multiple different paths work together to make a larger Demesne? Which Supernal Realm should it be symbolically linked to, if any? If the Demesne is big enough, could they in theory deck out individual rooms to their tastes in order to make them semiotically suitable for all the different types of spell they would want to cast.
                        It’s kind of up to the ST. Presumably, though you could create a Demesne with varying areas amenable to Mages of multiple Paths.

Comment

The fun part about mage is that I still have three different answers depending on the way this travelling works. I'm assuming that it can't
                          If it's through a portal (or through two geographically connected locations) then it depends on whether the teleport spell would be able to affect both sides of the portal. If a spirit is partway through the gauntlet it should be no problem teleporting the entire spirit to your target location. However, a Supernal entity that's in the process of being summoned is partway in a realm (or "realm") that can't normally be affected or reached by non-Imperial magic, and probably can't be teleported since you shouldn't be able to teleport Supernal entities directly from the Supernal Realms.
                          But there could also be a fringe cases where you can't affect one end of the entity but the other is not geographically tied to any location. Perhaps an entity from a Lower Depth that is in the process of clawing its way through to the Fallen at a random location. In that case you could rule that a teleport spell would teleport the part of the entity that's already in the Fallen, but doing so wouldn't literally or metaphysically bisect the entity so it would just resume its efforts at the new location.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            In that case you could rule that a teleport spell would teleport the part of the entity that's already in the Fallen, but doing so wouldn't literally or metaphysically bisect the entity so it would just resume its efforts at the new location.
                            If it did literally or metaphysically bisect an entity, teleport would be so nerfworthy.

Comment

• The answers I come up with for interpreting the multiple locations is essentially this: (Sorry if it's off. I'm sleepy)

A. Anything not covered by the cope of the spell cast isn't affected. You'd need Mind and Reach, at least, to move an astral entity as part of a teleport spell. (probably better as a Combined Spell) Similarly, if the mage can't reach past the Gauntlet, grabbing any pieces out there shouldn't work very well. It might, though, move them if physical location is meaningful to both the state that they are in and the spell as cast.

B. Related to scope: You'd need to target each piece. If you can, since they are one entity, that would mostly mean that you'd normally need Sympathy to target all the parts. If you did, you should be able to define their location in the singular, pulling them back together.

C. If you don't target multiple parts, the targeted part is the only part moved. If you do, the penalty should build from the most difficult and build from there.

That's how I'd handle it.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

• Does Withstanding a spell require a roll or the Withstanding rating acts as a constant ?

For example if spell with withstand composure is cast with Potency 3 and the target has Composure 2. Does the target roll his composure or just removes 2 potency from the spell ?
                                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do all spells start at standard spell casting (ritual) ? Meaning if you want to cast a spell as instant you always have to spend reach ?
                                Last edited by Stralos; 02-18-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X