Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
    but Shouldn’t the General by referred to as male as warfare has been historically dominated by men?
    No, the involvement of women in war has been historically removed by men in power. Women have always fought in wars, and the meaning of that varies from culture to culture, but the general forces in the world tends to result in war being too big of a deal for women to not fight in them. Something Important Enough is at stake that gender lines get challenged at the least. The General also needs to expand the "frontlines" to as many spaces as they can to get the full impact of war-as-a-divisive-and-means-of-dragging-eyes-down-to-earth, so the oscillating relationship of gender to soldier expression across time and space is just pumping the gas and brakes to keep that going as long and deep as it goes.

The Father being identified as Male is more complicated than I can answer at work.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

• Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
      Which I find weirdly sexist.
      "The Paternoster" is an organization that exists in a historical context within the Chronicles of Darkness. Its name is literally derived from the first two words of the Lord's Prayer. Its Exarch is associated with the number three and is not only consistently depicted as male but often depicted in human form. It was born during the Fourth Crusade. The Supernal Realm that most strongly reflects the Arcanum with which its Archigenitor is aligned is the one full of thunder and angels and revelation.

What I'm getting at is that there is a very specific cultural and symbolic portfolio that this particular group evokes the magical underpinnings of, which it has served to elevate to one of the highest seats of power over reality that exists in the setting. "Older man in authority who decides what you can and can't know or do and when" has had hundreds of years of symbolic groundwork laid for it in a more oppressive form than that same descriptor with the gender switched.

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
      but Shouldn’t the General by referred to as male as warfare has been historically dominated by men?
      The General is the Exarch of violence as a means of subjugation. Being conventionally referred to with a military title doesn't change the fact that technically speaking a mage reifies Her power every time he resolves a dispute with the Duel Arcane.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Actually looking back over the Seer book, and assuming that it is unchanged in 2e, the Father is always Patriarchal regardless of whether the native culture is Matriarchal.
        To my knowledge, there is not a single culture that historians or anthropologists identify as definitively meeting the criteria of being "matriarchal." Which I think is sort of the point, vis a vis The Father.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology; Priests of the Watchful Eternity - a 2e Silver Ladder Moros Legacy (Life/Death) of Mages that enhance Mortals to fight strange entities

Comment

• What does timesight mean with

"When a character is about to act, even with a reflexive action, a mage watching with Time Sight is aware of it (if not what that action will be), and may preempt it if he is able."

What does it mean to preempt an action in this case?

Is it
          1. Take any reflexive actions available (for example decide to dodge) but can't otherwise act outside of regular initiative
          2. Can always choose to act first taking his turn at the start regardless of initiative
          3. Always act during surprise rounds
          4. Something completely different?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomaz View Post
            "When a character is about to act, even with a reflexive action, a mage watching with Time Sight is aware of it (if not what that action will be), and may preempt it if he is able."

What does it mean to preempt an action in this case?
            A character with Active Time Sight can act before another character with the means at their disposal. Of your examples, 1 is the closest, but "acting outside of regular Initiative" is within the scope of the Dodge action as well as the Counterspell Attainments provided the character hasn't already acted in a given run through the turn order.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Actually looking back over the Seer book, and assuming that it is unchanged in 2e, the Father is always Patriarchal regardless of whether the native culture is Matriarchal.
              Which is what you were referring to.
              Which I find weirdly sexist.
              Though I guess a little weirdness can work with the Exarchs.

Unless it's changed in 2e, disregard my previous statement about it being mere interpretation.
              The Father seems to have always had a penchant for the Patriarchy.
              The Exarchs are the Supernal Symbolism of Tyranny (in both editions).Tyranny includes many things, including discrimination of others and ignoring actual traditions and supplanting them with your own. Given that the Paternoster and Father are a reflection of the Tyranical aspects of religion, not religion itself, it would make sense that:
              1) Such a symbol would focus on ignoring any other interpretation of religion (not just matriarchal, but animistic, true polytheism, etc.)
              2) Would manifest sexist components (because this furthers the nature of suppressing humanity by elevating one gender arbitrarily over another).
              3) It would manifest as the head of a rigid religious hierarchy, with itself at the top

If you look at the Diamond and Free Council, the also will draw on religious symbolism, and in the case of the Free Council, religions themselves as they draw on the symbolism that arise from humanity. The Seers are not supposed to be reflecting the entirety of concepts of our reality (including religion), just the aspects that foster humanity's oppression of man. What really makes the Exarchs terrifying is that the they are insidious; it is possible for much of reality and the corresponding Symbols to help them further their cause. For example, a member of the Free Council and Seer could both look at Capitalism in a positive light; the Free Council though sees it in how it encourages the movement away from centralized authorities controlling the economy (such as in Feudalism or Mercantilism) and inspiring innovation within humanity, while the Seer embraces its attempt to reduce everything (including humans) to commodities and services that can be bought and sold.

Tl;DNR- If the Exarch of Prime, a symbol of the Tyranny, is manifesting as the sexist, authoritarian, monotheistic being at the head of hierarchical Paternoster, it is because he is reflecting (or conversely, reality is reflecting) symbols of how religion can/has created and enforced Tyranny.

Comment

• Anyone got any ideas what inscribing runes actually involves? Like, what does a mage actually do for a ritual interval? Does a mage spend most of their time thinking about what rune to use before inscribing it?

Or is it that a novice mage actually needs to use more runes maybe? It's takes a gnosis 1 mage 3 hours because they need to write so many runes, and a gnosis 9 mage a minute because they only need one?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if those are mutually exclusive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Anyone got any ideas what inscribing runes actually involves? Like, what does a mage actually do for a ritual interval? Does a mage spend most of their time thinking about what rune to use before inscribing it?

Or is it that a novice mage actually needs to use more runes maybe? It's takes a gnosis 1 mage 3 hours because they need to write so many runes, and a gnosis 9 mage a minute because they only need one?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if those are mutually exclusive.
                  I think that awakened runes are like very complex ideograms (more complex than japanese), so it takes a Lot of time to inscribe them properly.
                  But an higer Gnosis mage became more familiar with that language, so it takes lesser time to inscribe the same runes.
                  It s like me drawing a portrait (1 hour, lot of sweat) and leonardo da vinci with the same portrait (1 minute, blindfolded)

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    This is generally the interpretation I go for. Higher Gnosis mages are more familiar with the language of the supernal.
                    It takes a long time to say something useful when your vocabulary is limited.

Comment

• Is it just my but does Feferi Peixes from Homestuck make a Great Thyrsus Mage. Given Her Culling of Cuttlefish and relations and commune to Eldritch creatures beyond the human mind

Comment

• A player wants to cast a aimed spell using his blade to do a range slashing attack would it be broken to allow him to make the roll with gnosis+weaponry instead of the normal firearms or athletics?

Comment

• Probably not.
                          Should probably still be Athletics though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                            A player wants to cast a aimed spell using his blade to do a range slashing attack would it be broken to allow him to make the roll with gnosis+weaponry instead of the normal firearms or athletics?

I'm generally a fan of rule of cool so I'd allow it, though I would also suggest making it a defining character point and say that ALL thrown spells require the sword and Weaponry for them (the idea being they never learned how to do it without the sword)

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                              A player wants to cast a aimed spell using his blade to do a range slashing attack would it be broken to allow him to make the roll with gnosis+weaponry instead of the normal firearms or athletics?
                              I would require the adamant hand merit as a prerequisite

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                                I would require the adamant hand merit as a prerequisite
                                Why? That has literally nothing to do with throwing spells, and slashing a blade to project a spell is only cosmetically different than just underhanding it.

Comment

Working...
                                X