Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
    Does peripheral mage sight pick up on ongoing effects like an active spell, or only when a spell is being cast?
    Only when something happens. Ongoing effects will not be noticed until you use active mage sight. The peripheral is very powerful but like some animals, "if it aint moving you dont see it" so to speak.
    (can you guess my path?)

edit: woops I was wrong!
    Last edited by Scarlet Witch; 08-09-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Does peripheral mage sight pick up on ongoing effects like an active spell, or only when a spell is being cast?
      Unless this has been clarified in a devquote elsewhere, Peripheral Sight picks up active supernatural effects that are not concealed or are not concealing in nature. So the halo of spells you've got hanging around you will probably ping, If you have Supernal Veil up on those spells, though, you'll be fine (this is, in fact, one of the purposes of the spell). If you've cast Invisibility on yourself, that won't ping either, since its whole point is to not be noticed (outside of weird ST things).

There's been some argument over whether casting a concealing spell itself can trigger Peripheral Sight. I fall on the side of it would, but that's presently a table consideration unless there's been a statement I've not read.

Edit: There's also an entire line of debate which could be had on whether casting Invisibility on your Flaming Sword of Fire would render it undetectable to Peripheral Sight. Go with what is best for your game on that.
      Last edited by Biston; 05-03-2019, 06:07 PM.

Come visit our unofficial Mage: the Awakening Discord Server!
      https://discord.gg/Z42DJ9h

Comment

Any active supernatural effect, whether instantaneous or ongoing, that is not a concealment effect, pings peripheral mage sight. It is not limited to spells.

A Vampire just chilling would not trigger peripheral mage sight, a Vampire using Dominate would, an extant Lord of the Land (Animalism 5) effect would, Obfuscate would not.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• A simple way to check is to ask:

1- Are they actively using their powers ?

2- Whether its a mage power or not, does it fall under the general Practice of Veiling ?

If the answer to 1 is yes and the answer of 2 is no, the Peripheral Mage Sight triggers if the source is within sensory range. So this means using Active Mage Sight and most Legacy Achievements make it ping.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

A question for the ages. As you can see above there's no consensus, and afaik there hasn't been any dev clarification on the matter.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

A question for the ages. As you can see above there's no consensus, and afaik there hasn't been any dev clarification on the matter.
              The base is clear enough. It specifies it notices active supernatural effects, and Supernal Veil clearly states it exists for covering those up to avoid detection. And it's been clarified further on these forums that active supernatural concealing effects don't show up to Peripheral Sight.

Where it hangs up is in the small details; do concealing effects, at the moment of casting, ping it? Do all Veiling spells impart this benefit, like casting Invisibility on a magic sword? These are the bits you're going to have to decide what works best for your game and the circumstances you want to evoke.

Come visit our unofficial Mage: the Awakening Discord Server!
              https://discord.gg/Z42DJ9h

Comment

• Here’s a weird one: Turn Momentum is fairly clear about how it works but why it works like that is a little hard for me to wrap my head around based on most other spells. A player was trying to cast it on the whole cabal but it basically says the subject of the spell are the objects moving. But then it seems like it can only be objects moving towards the mage casting the spell. Does anyone have a good explanation of what this spell is actually doing?

Comment

Here’s a weird one: Turn Momentum is fairly clear about how it works but why it works like that is a little hard for me to wrap my head around based on most other spells. A player was trying to cast it on the whole cabal but it basically says the subject of the spell are the objects moving. But then it seems like it can only be objects moving towards the mage casting the spell. Does anyone have a good explanation of what this spell is actually doing?
                  OH! See the spell uses the words "targets" and "objects" to refer to the things you want to have turned, but, not the word "subject" which is the important part.
                  Its like how red light green light affects traffic lights and other timing based events but the *subject* only needs to be the *mage* or her *cabal*

the subject CAN be the target, OR, you can have the subject generate a ... we'll call it a Mass Effect field that turns momentum on objects traveling too fast.

If the object is HUGE you'll need to use it as the subject though, like a car. But if theyre small like bullets, then your the subject, and the potency will equal the number of bullets rocks spells darts etc you can turn.

EDIT: tl dr the bullets *arent* the subject afterall, is the point. The benefactor of the spell is the subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

OH! See the spell uses the words "targets" and "objects" to refer to the things you want to have turned, but, not the word "subject" which is the important part.
                    Its like how red light green light affects traffic lights and other timing based events but the *subject* only needs to be the *mage* or her *cabal*

the subject CAN be the target, OR, you can have the subject generate a ... we'll call it a Mass Effect field that turns momentum on objects traveling too fast.

If the object is HUGE you'll need to use it as the subject though, like a car. But if theyre small like bullets, then your the subject, and the potency will equal the number of bullets rocks spells darts etc you can turn.

EDIT: tl dr the bullets *arent* the subject afterall, is the point. The benefactor of the spell is the subject.
                    So is it always tied to defense? And does the fact that Time is necessary for really fast objects mean something about the control? And the scale effects the object as well as the amount of subjects you can give the ability to? I guess I’m still a little puzzled. I wish the actual term subject was in there instead of mage.

Comment

So is it always tied to defense? And does the fact that Time is necessary for really fast objects mean something about the control? And the scale effects the object as well as the amount of subjects you can give the ability to? I guess I’m still a little puzzled. I wish the actual term subject was in there instead of mage.
                      I can discuss it with you with a pm sometime if no one else answers your question.

I have a hotfix for you that might help though. This is a perfect example of a "word-limit" spell. I got into the habit of solving my own issues with some spells by reminding myself of Daves very resteicted word count, as even a few more pages would have a deceptive impact on the cost to make the book.

Spells like these, do what makes sense by imagining if you were the writer and knew you had to take a spell that could be its own page and HAVE to squish it down to a paragraph, and look for keywords that look like they're trying to cover for all the scrapped text. Like how they assume the subject will be a Mage (cuz it saves space than to elaborate).

They accomplished a lot with so few words but some spells definitely feel like they were condensed haaard and used to be a lot longer.

Comment

• The "Withstanding Magic" subsection on page 114 reads: "Before dice are rolled for spellcasting, the caster must consider if her subject can Withstand her magic, as it could affect the dice pool and outcome of the casting." The section then goes on to explain that Withstand reduces Potency... and does not explain mechanics for anything else related. So, does Withstand affect the spellcasting dice pool, as it implies in the header, or not? How so? This seems like one of the most important mechanics in the entire book but it's just kind of vaguely implied.

Comment

• Only indirectly: you will want to increase Potency if you know your spell will be Withstood, which involves a dice penalty.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• Involves a dice penalty how?

Comment

• Go back a page.

EDIT - not a page here, a page in the book. Potency is the page before the bit you quoted saying the book was vague.
                              Last edited by Dave Brookshaw; 05-05-2019, 02:38 PM.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluespade View Post
                                Involves a dice penalty how?
                                After you cast the spell at the target, the potency of the spell is automatically reduced by the withstand. So if your spell has only 1 in potency, then a withstand of 2 means the spell gets dropped to -1 potency (ie. it doesn't do anything anymore).

Therefore, you have to guess beforehand at what the targets withstand will be and adjust the potency of the spell accordingly. So in my example, if you think someone will have a withstand of 2, you'll need a potency of 3 (ie. you give your spell two extra potency, taking a penalty of -4)

Comment

Working...
                                X