Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Right. So, Withstand never actually affects the dicepool of the spell. Only the caster's decision to increase Potency affects the dicepool. Correct?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bluespade View Post
      Right. So, Withstand never actually affects the dicepool of the spell. Only the caster's decision to increase Potency affects the dicepool. Correct?
      Typically? In 1E there were penalties for profusely complicated imagos, and sometimes I still use that, or other times I'll have a character roll a skill-check of some kind to see if they can even formulate the imago. Most of the time your knowledge of the arcana fills in gaps in scientific knowledge on a subject, and only the first time. Example, a player of mind wanted to use Matter to make a jetpack but he has no Forces, so I asked him to have a science+intelligence-3 check to see if he could come up with the imago for the jetpack, he succeeded, and we skipped that check on future uses since we knew now he *could* envision such a complex thing.

      However, outside of Mage there may be powers that will affect your dice pool. I think Angels have an Incept that does something like decrease a supernatural power's initial dice pool. But yeah, the dice pool for a normal, common spell should only be affected by yantras and the complexity (potency duration scale) of your imago.

      The only other thing I can think of is *raw distraction*, like being grappled---mages lose -3 dice when being grappled, so, depending on your ST, distraction can factor too.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Bluespade View Post
        Right. So, Withstand never actually affects the dicepool of the spell. Only the caster's decision to increase Potency affects the dicepool. Correct?
        Yeah, that's it.


        Comment


        • The spell Sybil's Sight is covered in 2ed by active Fate sight, correct ? Or do you need an Unveiling spell ?


          New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.


          The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

          Comment


          • at what wisdom level is a blood sacrifice of a chicken an act of hubris.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
              at what wisdom level is a blood sacrifice of a chicken an act of hubris.
              Good question!

              So, sacrificing a human or other sapient being is at least Hubris at Understanding Wisdom (it is, at a minimum, premeditated and deliberate murder). However, the Blood Sacrifice blurb seems to imply that such an act is itself inherently hubristic on top of the premeditated murder, so sacrificing a human for Mana is something I would peg as Hubristic even for a Mage at Falling Wisdom.

              Killing a chicken for mana is definitely not as bad as murdering a human for mana, but the question then becomes: is it as bad as the regular premeditated murder of a human?

              If you want to discourage wanton sacrificing of animals for mana I'd make it an act of hubris against Understanding Wisdom. Otherwise, it's probably an Act of Hubris against Enlightened Wisdom; most mages could probably do it if they were desperate for mana, but most probably don't want to bother because 1) ew and 2) there are easier ways to go about it. But a group of rural mages running a poultry farm might find it a very easy way to harvest lots of mana, you're killing the chickens anyway, so why not?


              Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

              Comment


              • It is possible to give the anchor condition to a ghost using the Revenant spell?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                  It is possible to give the anchor condition to a ghost using the Revenant spell?
                  As long as the Anchor Condition is a Manifestation then it appears to be yes.

                  Comment


                  • Yeah, it's a Manifestation Condition. It's the base Manifestation Condition for ghosts and is thus required before applying any other Manifestation Conditions as per the spell.


                    Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                    Comment


                    • Can you have a praxis and a rote for the same spell and get the benefits of both simultaneously? For example, psychic domination as both a rote and praxis, and use all the extra dice you get from using your rote skill to more frequently get exceptional successes?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NitroXanax View Post
                        Can you have a praxis and a rote for the same spell and get the benefits of both simultaneously? For example, psychic domination as both a rote and praxis, and use all the extra dice you get from using your rote skill to more frequently get exceptional successes?
                        Nope, you gotta pick one. Says so specifically on 112 under the description for how Rotes work.

                        You have to choose to cast one of them, you can't have both, and, sometimes, you'll want neither.

                        Typically go with Rotes--they're way stronger and more versatile. The exception is when you want to fish for an exceptional success because you *need* one of those effects, the prime example is negating Withstand. Praxes also become more appealing as your arcana gets closer to Mastery because the benefits of the rote drifts away from free reach (the high point) to extra dice (really nice but, early game rotes are way better). Almost always prefer rotes, but you want praxes when you specifically need an advantage the exceptional success offers that raw power simply does not. This is rare, but it does come up. As such, an Unmaking praxis is *waaay* scarier than an unmaking rote.

                        I figured a break-down on the pros and cons of both would be a good transition after that simple "nope" cuz that's not very helpful to an otherwise easy question.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

                          Nope, you gotta pick one. Says so specifically on 112 under the description for how Rotes work.

                          You have to choose to cast one of them, you can't have both, and, sometimes, you'll want neither.

                          Typically go with Rotes--they're way stronger and more versatile. The exception is when you want to fish for an exceptional success because you *need* one of those effects, the prime example is negating Withstand. Praxes also become more appealing as your arcana gets closer to Mastery because the benefits of the rote drifts away from free reach (the high point) to extra dice (really nice but, early game rotes are way better). Almost always prefer rotes, but you want praxes when you specifically need an advantage the exceptional success offers that raw power simply does not. This is rare, but it does come up. As such, an Unmaking praxis is *waaay* scarier than an unmaking rote.

                          I figured a break-down on the pros and cons of both would be a good transition after that simple "nope" cuz that's not very helpful to an otherwise easy question.
                          I appreciate your help! And yeah, the explanation was useful to me.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                            Praxes also become more appealing as your arcana gets closer to Mastery because the benefits of the rote drifts away from free reach (the high point) to extra dice (really nice but, early game rotes are way better).
                            The other notable benefit Masters get from rotes, of course, is that they gate the discovery of their Signature Nimbus on an effect behind Scrutiny (when most Masters are going to have Signature Nimbuses that stick around a fairly long time) — a Master-level Praxis leaves mystical residue that one lucky Revelation roll identifies as their handiwork.


                            Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              The other notable benefit Masters get from rotes, of course, is that they gate the discovery of their Signature Nimbus on an effect behind Scrutiny (when most Masters are going to have Signature Nimbuses that stick around a fairly long time) — a Master-level Praxis leaves mystical residue that one lucky Revelation roll identifies as their handiwork.
                              True.

                              That brings up another important point. Once you are a Master, your rotes become essentially much weaker--all they give you is a dice bonus. HOWEVER, if you will turn your attention to the Attainments section, you will find that Masters can also MAKE their own rotes. When they do this, the rote gains the ability to reroll failed dice given constraints. This is SUPER powerful and revitalizes rotes to prominent usefulness, BUT, I think I forgot to mention that because *it costs xp to do this*, and time.

                              When I said what I said I had been thinking about rotes the mage *learns* as opposed to *creates* but, when a mage casts a rote *they* created, the roll gains a dice trick called "rote-quality" and its REALLY good. Like, stupid good. But it costs xp.

                              But, Satchel brought up one of the REALLY EASY TO MISS AND IGNORE benefits of rotes. The Nimbus of a rote is changed to the person who made it, with the person who *cast* it buried underneath the nimbus of the creator. Investigating mages sort of has to do a magical equivalent to a Fourier Transform (I'm actually talking about Scrutiny from Mage Sight) to discover the true identity of the Mage who cast the spell, otherwise the rote obscures the rote.

                              Example, (A)be casts a rote that (B)elle needs to investigate cuz it was a crime. Let's say Abe had a Praxis that, for Withstand purposes, would have been better cuz the Exceptional Success would have been SO SWEET, but, he went with a Rote PURELY because it wasn't *his* rote so it wouldn't be *his* nimbus attached to it. As Satchel noted, if Abe used a praxis, Belle could do a lucky Revelation and say "ah ha that's Abe's nimbus, he's the culprit!"
                              But Abe used a rote, an OLD AS BALLS rote from 400 years ago by a long dead Mage. So when Belle Revelates it, she discovers a nimbus she doesn't remotely recognize, and when she asks around, no one has any idea what that nimbus is either. Through some detective work, she realizes that the spell is a rote, probably from a dead mage.
                              She has no choice but to Scrutinize Abe's spell one more time, if she still has time to do it, but the opacity is too high for her to complete it before she runs out of rolls to throw. She's clever though and realizes what kind of power she's dealing with from the opacity alone, but, the best she can deduce is that Abe is one possible perpetrator, but there's three other Masters who could have done it, and Masters being what they are... she can't really investigate anyone without a reason because they can easily kill her and have way more political clout than she does. She needs solid proof before she can even investigate, cuz horror game.

                              ((Let's ignore for a moment that mana-spammers eat scrutiny like cheez-its))

                              This game is so complicated but the story possibilities the weird mechanics supplies is staggering. Its like each mechanical "what the fuck" is easily twistable INTO A STORY HOOK. its great!

                              So, after all of that, that would be my next advice. Anytime you find an issue with Mage, consider how it can be turned into a storyhook, cuz with a heavily restricted page-count, I think Dave Brookshaw's team kinda-sorta left a lot of questions unanswered so that storytellers can go "OOOOOOO!!", but most of the people who wanna play are just like "uhhh can I get an answer for this please?"

                              Meanwhile some of us just put on our most sadistic grins and are like "If this question has no definitive answer... I have such a good excuse to be... Eviiiiiillll"

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                                That brings up another important point. Once you are a Master, your rotes become essentially much weaker--all they give you is a dice bonus. HOWEVER, if you will turn your attention to the Attainments section, you will find that Masters can also MAKE their own rotes. When they do this, the rote gains the ability to reroll failed dice given constraints. This is SUPER powerful and revitalizes rotes to prominent usefulness, BUT, I think I forgot to mention that because *it costs xp to do this*, and time.

                                When I said what I said I had been thinking about rotes the mage *learns* as opposed to *creates* but, when a mage casts a rote *they* created, the roll gains a dice trick called "rote-quality" and its REALLY good. Like, stupid good. But it costs xp.
                                Doesn't created Rotes cost as much as learned Rotes? Whether it's worth it for a Rote you've already learned (thus netting you with a duplicate Rote without refunding your original XP unless your group house rules such stuff) can definitely be something players would rethink, but any new Rotes for Mastered Arcana should definitely be created rather than learned.

                                The benefits of Rote Action on a roll is 0.2333 extra successes per die in the dice pool (given no extra X-Again modifiers), or 70% more successes on average.


                                Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X