Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Does the force 4 environmental immunity attainment
    Protect the mage from the damage of an house on fire or a storm's lightning ?
    What about vacuum? The mage in question needs to get air somewhere to breathe. I don't think this Attainment would protect him in such a situation.

    Comment


    • if i inure myself to a spell that makes a sword of mana can i just cut peoples heads off in rage with it without wisdom risked?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
        if i inure myself to a spell that makes a sword of mana can i just cut peoples heads off in rage with it without wisdom risked?
        I dont think so but only because of the "rage" part. Being under control is what makes wisdom. Paradoxically (fitting given inuring invokes it), lopping off heads with calculation and a stone-cold plan would not, after inuring. Thats my interpretation at least.

        See the wisdom system is meant to fascilitate engaging characters, but people usually treat it as a pure punishment system.

        I think its fun to try and maintain a wisdom score that makes sense for how you play. For me thats Wisdom 5, not a very wise mage but eager to help people, just incautious and stubborn.

        But yeah if your a scelesti hunter or guardian who inured a primeal fire sword it would let you kill with it, but a blind rage is still a blind rage.

        Comment


        • For what you want to do, I suggest an Artifact akin to Sikanda from The Neverending Story or Suiguutou from The Twelve Kingdoms. A powerful sword with mysterious properties, drawing it symbolizes bending their mind to killing the target (Sikanda), not necessarily in self defense. Failing to discipline their mind means its spirit will try to lead them astray (Suiguutou), much in the same way as a Daimon, its suggested course of action will make them powerful, it will be looking out for the wielder's best interests, but it won't make them a better person.

          Now you can ask things like "when is it right to wield this sword ?" or "do I really need a scabbard to sheath my mind ?".

          Acting in accordance with its wishes gives +1 dice on the Wisdom check (so it neutralizes Obsession / Vice penalties but enhances Virtue bonuses).

          But if your character grows rather than being entrapped by it, its shape and function may change to reflect that. Now your fluctuating relationship with Wisdom creates a plot hook for character growth.
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 06-02-2019, 10:08 PM.


          New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.


          The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

          Comment


          • For the purposes of Warding Gesture (p. 136) and Unbound Fate (p. 195), what counts as a non-Fate mystical compulsion? Obviously, having your mind and body directly subverted with Psychic Domination (p. 161) or a Ruling of Life should count. But what about more subtle manipulation including emotion-affecting spells, like Emotional Urging (p. 160) or a fear-causing spell?


            Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by saibot View Post
              For the purposes of Warding Gesture (p. 136) and Unbound Fate (p. 195), what counts as a non-Fate mystical compulsion? Obviously, having your mind and body directly subverted with Psychic Domination (p. 161) or a Ruling of Life should count. But what about more subtle manipulation including emotion-affecting spells, like Emotional Urging (p. 160) or a fear-causing spell?
              I'd say those count as also being protected against by the spell. Those spells are there to give you some insurance that you will do what you set out to do, and will not to anything you don't want to.

              Comment


              • can a sleeper be a shield bearer for a legacy attainment?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                  can a sleeper be a shield bearer for a legacy attainment?
                  Could you please give more details? Did you mean like taking an oath to make it work ? Tying its availability to the sleeper ("if you die, I lose its use until I find another shield brother and he proves worthy by the trial") ? Having them join the Legacy's mystery cult and perform tasks and rituals ?


                  New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.


                  The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                    can a sleeper be a shield bearer for a legacy attainment?
                    I didn't think Attainments USE spellslots! They do??

                    EDIT: I cant find anything on the matter but my gut says that you'd never need a shield-bearer for an Attainment because they dont use up spellslots so a sleepwalker would never need to *hold* the attainment.
                    Last edited by Scarlet Witch; 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

                      I didn't think Attainments USE spellslots! They do??

                      EDIT: I cant find anything on the matter but my gut says that you'd never need a shield-bearer for an Attainment because they dont use up spellslots so a sleepwalker would never need to *hold* the attainment.
                      They don't, so you can use them as often as you want. Its why a Bokor with lots of time and "resources" becomes too vital for the Free Council to label as left handed. A tireless amount of laborers which double as a simple soldiers or test subjects come in very handy...provided their master is not pointing them against you.
                      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 06-05-2019, 05:46 PM.


                      New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.


                      The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

                        I didn't think Attainments USE spellslots! They do??

                        EDIT: I cant find anything on the matter but my gut says that you'd never need a shield-bearer for an Attainment because they dont use up spellslots so a sleepwalker would never need to *hold* the attainment.
                        Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

                        They don't, so you can use them as often as you want. Its why a Bokor with lots of time and "resources" becomes too vital for the Free Council to label as left handed. A tireless amount of laborers which double as a simple soldiers or test subjects come in very handy...provided their master is not pointing them against you.
                        Thanks I never saw them mentioned as using spell slots or not so I Just assumed they still did.

                        Comment


                        • Yeah...they never did.

                          Comment


                          • How does Proximi spell control work? It seems like it would be too powerful if it was based off their Willpower, but if its only based on Gnosis they'd have to always use their free reach to cast any spell. Am I missing something that spells it out somewhere?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Therian View Post
                              How does Proximi spell control work? It seems like it would be too powerful if it was based off their Willpower, but if its only based on Gnosis they'd have to always use their free reach to cast any spell. Am I missing something that spells it out somewhere?
                              Proximi Blessings (similar to most Legacy Attainments) are based on spells, but they aren't actually spells. They only use the spell rules that are directly referenced in their own rules. Spell control is not referenced and hence isn't a factor for neither Legacy Attainments nor Proximi Blessings.


                              Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                              Comment


                              • Well here's something else that came up with Proximi. Myrmidons have Dispel Magic as a Blessing, Dispel Magic says you have to include any dots in spells you want to dispel. How does that work?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X