Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
    Well here's something else that came up with Proximi. Myrmidons have Dispel Magic as a Blessing, Dispel Magic says you have to include any dots in spells you want to dispel. How does that work?
    Sounds like an oversight. If you still want to include Dispel Magic, I'd consider the Myrmidon to have the required dot in all Arcana they have a Blessing from.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
      Well here's something else that came up with Proximi. Myrmidons have Dispel Magic as a Blessing, Dispel Magic says you have to include any dots in spells you want to dispel. How does that work?
      I recently encountered the selfsame question. The way how I handled it in my games is assuming Myrmidons have 1 dot each in Forces, Mind and Prime for the purposes of Dispel Magic (in other words, 1 dot in each Blessing Arcanum available to that Proximus).
      A more liberal interpretation could be that they can dispel any magic, regardless of Arcanum, but I would then require an extra Reach. This still would not be all too powerful as Proximi are heavily limited by the Potency they can achieve anyway.

Of course the most strict and RAW interpretation is that they are entirely limited to dispelling Prime spells.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

• Originally posted by saibot View Post
        Of course the most strict and RAW interpretation is that they are entirely limited to dispelling Prime spells.
        Not even that since they don't have any Prime dots.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Oh, god-damnit.

Yeah, that must have been an oversight. Treat them as having Forces 1, Mind 1, and Prime 1 for that Blessing's purposes.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Not even that since they don't have any Prime dots.
            Oh yeah, I misremembered the exact text of the spell. My bad.

Regardless, we now have Word of God anyway.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

• How do the Supernal Beings living in Emanations work? Do they always have one Arcanum corresponding to the Emanation's Arcanum + one other Arcanum at the same level (both equal to their Rank) and possibly other Arcana at lower levels? They don't seem to be Path-based, unlike in Verges, as the Emanations don't appear to be connected to any specific Path.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
                How do the Supernal Beings living in Emanations work? Do they always have one Arcanum corresponding to the Emanation's Arcanum + one other Arcanum at the same level (both equal to their Rank) and possibly other Arcana at lower levels? They don't seem to be Path-based, unlike in Verges, as the Emanations don't appear to be connected to any specific Path.
                I imagine whatever is symbolically resonant with the Emanation's theme. For example, in an old western ghost town you would have the huxler that swindles mortals and ghosts out of free will (Exarchial entity of Death & Fate), the undertaker trying to get all the dead residents to move on (Prime and Death), the blacksmith who tries to forge it into a full Verge (Prime and Matter), the crazy old prospector that is ominously aware of where all the secrets are (Space & Time), etc. The Emanation's true nature might not necessarily be evident until the mages have an Eureka moment. I think your rule sounds pretty sensible.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

• So regarding indefinite spells. I see that you can spend a reach and a point of mana to increase duration from advanced to indefinite. But looking at the advanced duration table it also shows that you can reach indefinite with a dice penalty; then in parenthesis on that table it also lists the reach and mana cost. So is that trying to say you pay the dice penalty or the reach/mana? Or do you pay both?

Also regarding relinquishing indefinite spells. It indicates in one paragraph that you roll each chapter to see if the spell goes awry regardless of the spell's duration. But then in the next paragraph it indicates that most mages only relinquish indefinite spells, as relinquishing safely is very taxing. This seems to hint that there is some sort of mechanical benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells over spells of other durations. Am I missing something?
                  Last edited by RobinCoyote; 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinCoyote View Post
                    So regarding indefinite spells. I see that you can spend a reach and a point of mana to increase duration from advanced to indefinite. But looking at the advanced duration table it also shows that you can reach indefinite with a dice penalty; then in parenthesis on that table it also lists the reach and mana cost. So is that trying to say you pay the dice penalty or the reach/mana? Or do you pay both?
                    You need to spend the Mana and the extra Reach in addition to taking dice penalties sufficient to offset the number of steps between Indefinite and whatever stage of Advanced Duration the spell gets (if any) from its primary spell factor.

Also regarding relinquishing indefinite spells. It indicates in one paragraph that you roll each chapter to see if the spell goes awry. But then in the next paragraph it indicates that most mages only relinquish indefinite spells, as relinquishing safely is very taxing. This seems to hint that there is some sort of mechanical benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells over spells of other durations. Am I missing something? Or was that little sentence pointless flavor?
                    The mechanical benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells is that you're not spending a resource that costs an Experience to recover on an effect that's going to end after a set amount of time anyway.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      The mechanical benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells is that you're not spending a resource that costs an Experience to recover on an effect that's going to end after a set amount of time anyway.
                      But see, the book says, "Most mages only relinquish indefinite spells, as relinquishing safely is extremely taxing." Exact wording. Indicating that they're not spending a Willpower Dot to do it and seemingly implying that there is some benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells unsafely over spells of other duration.

It's a confusing statement because there is no benefit to that in the rules as stated. It's safer to relinquish limited duration spells, as there is only a limited time such spells could go awry. An indefinite spell literally has the entire rest of the Chronicle to roll over and over until something goes wrong. I assume it was some sort of oversight, and I'm not missing anything in the rules.

Comment

But see, the book says, "Most mages only relinquish indefinite spells, as relinquishing safely is extremely taxing." Exact wording. Indicating that they're not spending a Willpower Dot to do it and seemingly implying that there is some benefit to relinquishing indefinite spells unsafely over spells of other duration.

It's a confusing statement because there is no benefit to that in the rules as stated. It's safer to relinquish limited duration spells, as there is only a limited time such spells could go awry. An indefinite spell literally has the entire rest of the Chronicle to roll over and over until something goes wrong. I assume it was some sort of oversight, and I'm not missing anything in the rules.
                        Instead of risking the spell going wrong, the player may spend a Willpower dot to relinquish the spell safely. In this case, the spell continues until its Duration runs down or it is dispelled.

That means that a safely relinquished spell would never go awry

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Instead of risking the spell going wrong, the player may spend a Willpower dot to relinquish the spell safely. In this case, the spell continues until its Duration runs down or it is dispelled.

That means that a safely relinquished spell would never go awry

I understood that. What I'm referring to is that the book, with its wording, is hinting that relinquishing an indefinite spell unsafely is somehow more viable or safer than a spell of a lower duration.
                          Last edited by RobinCoyote; 06-15-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I understood that. What I'm referring to is that the book, with its wording, is hinting that relinquishing an indefinite spell unsafely is somehow more viable or safer than a spell of a lower duration.
                            Most Mages only safely relinquish a spell of Indefinite Duration is what’s being said. Spells of shorter Duration are relinquished unsafely more often because they run out of Duration before they can go “off message” from unsafe relinquishment.

It isn’t at all hinting that relinquishing a spell of Indefinite Duration unsafely is somehow more viable.or safer than a spell of lower Duration. Your reading there is simply incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Most Mages only safely relinquish a spell of Indefinite Duration is what’s being said. Spells of shorter Duration are relinquished unsafely more often because they run out of Duration before they can go “off message” from unsafe relinquishment.

It isn’t at all hinting that relinquishing a spell of Indefinite Duration unsafely is somehow more viable.or safer than a spell of lower Duration. Your reading there is simply incorrect.

I'm beginning you see what you mean. My misunderstanding was thinking in game terms. I was thinking:

Relinquish = Relinquish Unsafely
                              Relinguish Safely = Relinquish Safely

In that sentence they were just using the word normally, where I was instead thinking in game terms where specific ways of phrasing or saying something is a reference to a mechanic or rule. I apologize.
                              Last edited by RobinCoyote; 06-15-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I'm beginning you see what you mean. My misunderstanding was thinking in game terms. I was thinking:

Relinquish = Relinquish Unsafely
                                Relinguish Safely = Relinquish Safely

In that sentence they were just using the word normally, where I was instead thinking in game terms where specific ways of phrasing or saying something is a reference to a mechanic or rule. I apologize.
                                Basically if you spend a willpower dot the spell will never go wild, because you quite literally sever a chunk of your will to manage it.

Utilizing a willpower point means you placed a brick on the gas pedal and left the car. Driving it now doesn't tax you, so that's good. Hopefully it won't crash or run someone over. You can add conditional duration to prevent this, but now you used another resource on it.

So normally you only unsafely relinquish without over Reaching and for short durations. Its clean, efficient and causes no fallout (unless you need to cancel it right there, better hope you have an Obrimos friend nearby).

Regardless of this, any relinquished spell can be dispelled. So the optimal move is to cast something indefinitely, make it as powerful as possible and relinquish with a willpower dot to get a cost benefit worth the risk.

Lastly, don't forget every spell a mage had on his spell control is relinquished unsafely upon their demise. One mage's horrific death can create other mages' Mysteries.
                                Last edited by KaiserAfini; 06-15-2019, 05:20 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Working...
                                X