No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I cast a spell Like Heightened Senses is it limited to +5 and going beyond that with a mana presumably or is it just a straight bonus without being held back by a trait limit?

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
      If I cast a spell Like Heightened Senses is it limited to +5 and going beyond that with a mana presumably or is it just a straight bonus without being held back by a trait limit?
      It's a good question, but I believe thinking of it as an equipment bonus is ok, and mundane equipment is capped at +5, so I think the extra mana and maybe a reach (like with Honing the Form) can be justified.

Comment

If I cast a spell Like Heightened Senses is it limited to +5 and going beyond that with a mana presumably or is it just a straight bonus without being held back by a trait limit?
        Moving beyond +5 is almost universally (it could be universal, I'm just not interested in checking all the spells that might do it) done, when it is done, by adding a reach and a point of mana. Both, together.

Comment

Traits always have a cap (which is usually 5 if no other number is given) while bonuses have no cap. To increase a Trait beyond its cap you need both a Mana and a Reach.

Heightened Senses grants a bonus to perception (Wits+Composure) rolls so it has no cap.

Quick edit: Note that equipment modifiers are traits that are applied as bonuses when used, hence they too are capped at +5.
          Last edited by Tessie; 08-06-2019, 10:45 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Do you cast Constant Presence when you think someone’s going to go to the past or when you see that someone’s from the future?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
              Do you cast Constant Presence when you think someone’s going to go to the past or when you see that someone’s from the future?
              From my understanding of Time, it's the latter, because the spell isn't going to extend backwards in time.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• From my understanding -

The spell would need to be active in the objective present to prevent changes from 'sticking' when the traveler returns. Duration allowing. it doesn't matter if it was cast in the past (when you saw someone that was from the 'future') or because you believe someone in the present is about to go to the past, as long the spell is active on their return.

Comment

• To check my understanding of the two different forms of entropic unreality in simplified terms:

While both the Abyss and the Lower Depths may both subject ordered reality to various forms of breakdown and corruption by their presence or activities, the two interact poorly with each other and usually have a different class of agenda.

Is it fair to say that, while Depths creatures seek to take something from reality to sustain their signature hungers and the knock-on effects of their doing so are corruptive or destructive, Abyssal entities more often have strange hungers but serve the anti-universes they hail from by corrupting and destroying parts of the Tapestry around them?

tl;dr Is "virus versus parasite" a reasonable metaphor to describe the main difference between Abyssal and Infernal "demons"?

Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    To check my understanding of the two different forms of entropic unreality in simplified terms:

While both the Abyss and the Lower Depths may both subject ordered reality to various forms of breakdown and corruption by their presence or activities, the two interact poorly with each other and usually have a different class of agenda.

Is it fair to say that, while Depths creatures seek to take something from reality to sustain their signature hungers and the knock-on effects of their doing so are corruptive or destructive, Abyssal entities more often have strange hungers but serve the anti-universes they hail from by corrupting and destroying parts of the Tapestry around them?

tl;dr Is "virus versus parasite" a reasonable metaphor to describe the main difference between Abyssal and Infernal "demons"?
                    From my understanding yes, abyssals are like viruses, who try to enter reality, expand and transform it to make it more like the abyss.
                    Akarthoi (if i remember their name correctly) try to steal something from reality and bring it back to lower depths

Comment

• How work, exactly, the permutation of Arcana in Focused sight?
                      You add a second, or third, Arcana as bonus dice, or only change Arcana for roll from one to another?

Comment

• It's honestly kind of confusing, and Signs of Sorcery didn't really clear it up for me. The way I handle it is if you add extra Arcana I give you extra information regarding those Arcana, but I mostly eye-ball it.

Comment

• Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
                          It's honestly kind of confusing, and Signs of Sorcery didn't really clear it up for me. The way I handle it is if you add extra Arcana I give you extra information regarding those Arcana, but I mostly eye-ball it.
                          My vote is for bonus dice, based upon
                          " While Active Mage Sight allows a mage to observe the effects of multiple Arcana at once, Focused Mage Sight requires the mage give all her attention to one Arcanum.
                          System: The Mage may use Focused Mage Sight to study Mysteries under the purview of any Arcanum she has as part of her Active Mage Sight. See Mage, p. 93 for information on including multiple Arcana in Focused Mage Sight’s dice pool" Signs of Sorcery pg 27
                          Bold mine.

Comment

• Using multiple arcana in FMS seems to provide no bonus, except for the extra information, and it reduces the number of safe rolls you can make by 1 per additional arcana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                              Using multiple arcana in FMS seems to provide no bonus, except for the extra information, and it reduces the number of safe rolls you can make by 1 per additional arcana.
                              Mhh Dave, say anything about this? Thanks for your post

Comment

• The reduction in the number of safe rolls is in pg. 93 with all the other rules for Scrutiny, and in the part about Deep Information it mentions the info must be related to the Arcanum being used, but that's all. From that I gather you can examine a mystery with any of it's component Arcana but only get information related to the ones you included.

Comment

Working...
                                X