Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
    If your Legacy's secondary Arcanum is Time and you have a mana spending fourth primary Attainment, is it viable to say "mana is spent to and, if you have Time 4, to activate Time in a Bottle, truncated to one mana due to Legacy rules" ? I imagine not, but am not sure. Would it be valid for a side effect of the fourth optional Time Attainment to incorporate Time in a Bottle into the primary one ?
    I would make it part of the Fourth Optional.

Optional: Time 4
    The primary attainment can now be cast with Instant Casting as if using Time in a Bottle. In addition <other attainment stuff>.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueWinds View Post

Personally I'd absolutely allow the second one - &quot;If you have time 4, this attainment only requires (snipping a lock of your hair / lighting a candle / praying to the goddess / some thematic Instant action) instead of a scene to activate, and...&quot;

I tend to be more flexible than the book suggests on adding reach to attainments in general though, so your mileage may vary. My rule of thumb is &quot;if you add a significant restriction beyond those in the base spell, you can get +1 reach in the attainment.&quot;
      Yep, that is something I like to do as well. If I add any free Reach, I incorporate a proportional amount of thematic complications or restrictions to balance it out.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

I would make it part of the Fourth Optional.

Optional: Time 4
        The primary attainment can now be cast with Instant Casting as if using Time in a Bottle. In addition <other attainment stuff>.
        Cool. It didn't sound too insane for an optional bonus and that is certainly the cleanest way to do it.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

• If a spirit uses the Speed numen on a target and a mage casts Acceleration, do the effects stack or only the greatest one takes effect ? What about one using a Strengthen Influence to enhance a car that a mage used a Perfecting on ? In other words, do the abilities of ephemeral entities count as magic for the purposes of stacking rules ?

Can the Strengthen Influence heal aggravated wounds within its domain ? If so, the big selling point of the Regenerate numen is not efficiency, bur rather that it can be used on any living being without hassle, correct ?

If you have a ghost of a reporter with Influence: Journalism, then the methods to write an article on a PC without going down the possession route are by either Materializing or using the Manipulate Manifestation ? Or does detailed work (typing, programming, assembling a clock) require the Control one ?
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-25-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            In other words, do the abilities of ephemeral entities count as magic for the purposes of stacking rules ?
            It's specifically spells that don't stack. Spells and Legacy Attainments also have their specific stacking rules. Everything else is simply not explained and thus probably stackable (barring the regular ±5 limit or the ST ruling otherwise).

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            Can the Strengthen Influence heal aggravated wounds within its domain ? If so, the big selling point of the Regenerate numen is not efficiency, bur rather that it can be used on any living being without hassle, correct ?
            Strengthen probably can't heal anything except if it's Influence: Healing or something similar (in which case it should probably only increase the rate of healing, not actually heal on its own). I say probably because we've only got the roughest of guidelines on Influence uses.

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            If you have a ghost of a reporter with Influence: Journalism, then the methods to write an article on a PC without going down the possession route are by either Materializing or using the Manipulate Manifestation ? Or does detailed work (typing, programming, assembling a clock) require the Control one ?
            It's basically ST fiat since the Influence rules are so underexplained. I can see it go either way (or even require Create for a literal and thus reductive reading of the rules).

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Yeah, Influences confuse me more often than not.

For example, does Healing allow you to increase the target's healing rate at Strengthen and instantly heal at Create ? Or does Strengthen heal instantly and Create allow you to create a remedy (even one that previously didn't exist) or medical equipment ? The rules are so vague that I understood "yes, both are doable. Depends on the thematic flavor of the being".

So its deliberately open ended to give the ST a flexible toolkit, cool.

Comment

• I don't think Strengthen should heal instantly. It only affects the "healing" that is already present, i.e. the body's natural healing. Strengthening it should make it more effective and/or efficient, reducing healing times according to the entity's Rank. Something like "divide all healing times by [Rank+1]".

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Its only storytellers vault but theres this cheapo book someone made with ideas on how to expand influences into far more examples. Its pretty neat!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/265598

Comment

• If a Fang of Mara uses Imposing Nimbus merit to inflict the Broken condition, that constitutes an Act of Hubris, correct ?

What about a Steward of the Celestial Orrery causing an Obsession with the current mission in service to the Oracles ?

Could a Tamer of the Cave use it to inflict Aporia, a custom Condition version of The Inescapable Question (such as when Obi-Wan when he said "you don't want to sell deathsticks, you want to go home and rethink your life") ? If so, would that constitute an Act of Hubris ?

Comment

• So a short linguistic question- when I want to talk about the Oneiros of a number of different individual, do I still use Oneiros, or there is some plural form I need to use? For some reason I remember a word in the style of "Oneiri", but I'm not sure if I imagined it.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        So a short linguistic question- when I want to talk about the Oneiros of a number of different individual, do I still use Oneiros, or there is some plural form I need to use? For some reason I remember a word in the style of "Oneiri", but I'm not sure if I imagined it.
                        On the one hand, "Oneiroi" is (as I understand it) the proper Greek plural of the word. On the other hand, it's been stated that the plural form of e.g. the names of each Paths is the same as their singular names. Suffice it to be said that I don't think anybody's going to give you any trouble for using either one as long as you're consistent.

Resident Lore-Hound
                        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                          So a short linguistic question- when I want to talk about the Oneiros of a number of different individual, do I still use Oneiros, or there is some plural form I need to use? For some reason I remember a word in the style of "Oneiri", but I'm not sure if I imagined it.
                          Wikipedia (source of all true knowledge) says "Oneiroi," but I doubt anyone would call you out for using "oneiroses."

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• Can you use the Fast Spells Merit on Attainments? Attainments are usually basically internalized Praxes, so I believe it could be done.

Comment

• On top of being the proper Greek plural, Oneiroi is used as plural in the book. (Oneiroses is by far the option that sounds the worst to me despite being the standard English pluralisation.)

Edit:
                              Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
                              Can you use the Fast Spells Merit on Attainments? Attainments are usually basically internalized Praxes, so I believe it could be done.
                              I would allow it for any Aimed Legacy Attainments.
                              Last edited by Tessie; 11-04-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• It's Oneiroi

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Working...
                                X