No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing I was wondering about. Multiple copies of spells doing the same thing do not stack. So if you have a Potency 4 boost to speed using Space and a Potency 3 using Time, only the Space one takes hold, while the Time one does nothing but consume spell control until release.

But lets say you use an Enhance Skill for Occult and one for Investigation. Even if there is the Reach option to split Potency, can those two stack as independent spells ? So far I interpreted as yes, since they are not concurrently boosting the same stat, but I wanted to double check.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 01-02-2020, 10:46 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
      One thing I was wondering about. Multiple copies of spells doing the same thing do not stack. So if you have a Potency 4 boost to speed using Space and a Potency 3 using Time, only the Space one takes hold, while the Time one does nothing but consume spell control until release.

But lets say you use an Enhance Skill for Occult and one for Investigation. Even if there is the Reach option to split Potency, can those two stack as independent spells ? So far I interpreted as yes, since they are not concurrently boosting the same stat, but I wanted to double check.

Yes, they could. Advantage of the Reach option is it takes up less Spell Control.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

Yes, they could. Advantage of the Reach option is it takes up less Spell Control.
        Interesting, thank you. So in theory a mage could cast powerful individual sized AoE spells centered on a ring, wallet, coin, tie pin or other random item, store them away and use them as a situation demands. Like a Thrysus using certain gloves when they need to become combat juggernauts or a belt that lets a Mastigos talk their way out of anything.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

• What are a few reasons that Pierce Deception could invoke a Clash of Wills other than attempting to pierce a magical deception or illusion? Need some possible alternative explanations for the Clash so that mere occurrence of the Clash (which the mage will always notice) does not itself give away the presence of a magical illusion.

Comment

• Anything that offers a blanket protection/block against some aspect of the spell, such as the Arcanum or Practice used, Awakened magic, or any supernatural effects at all. Generally such blanket effects aren't that fun so they're pretty rare.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by galivet View Post
              What are a few reasons that Pierce Deception could invoke a Clash of Wills other than attempting to pierce a magical deception or illusion? Need some possible alternative explanations for the Clash so that mere occurrence of the Clash (which the mage will always notice) does not itself give away the presence of a magical illusion.
              Well, a Clash of Wills only occurs when two concurrent supernatural powers try to influence a target, so no mundane explanation really.

You could add Fate 1 & Mind 2 to some other Arcana to trigger a false Clash of Wills in response to that Arcana's scrutiny, one that "always fails". That seems fine for the players to use, but may be a red herring with too simple a payoff if used by an NPC.

So perhaps a pact with a Demon, Changeling, True Fae or similar being could grant the target a variation of Cover and Spoofing. It could immediately conceal the illusion from Pierce Deception, but the players would have an avenue of investigation when the payment is due.

That being said, if the players somehow get an exceptional success and they choose the "bypass Withstand" option, could it be interpreted as punching through the illusion without a Clash of Wills ? I am not sure. In general its extremely difficult to hide information a mage is looking for.
              Last edited by KaiserAfini; 01-03-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by galivet View Post
                What are a few reasons that Pierce Deception could invoke a Clash of Wills other than attempting to pierce a magical deception or illusion? Need some possible alternative explanations for the Clash so that mere occurrence of the Clash (which the mage will always notice) does not itself give away the presence of a magical illusion.
                Your best bet is to have enough instances of the illusion being trivial in some way that a failed CoW doesn't immediately make them think that something untoward is occuring; maybe it's just a Life veiling spell to hide the Mage's freckles, or they're hanging out in cat shape while they talk to you, or you're meeting in a bad part of town so your contact made their nice watch look like cheap junk to avoid any issues with Sleepers.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• There is any issue to grant Key for not-space magic ?
                  I refer to :
                  " Spells that can be Keyed are called out below, usually at the cost of a Reach. The Key may have a number of requirements equal to the spell’s Potency"
                  Example, make an AoE spell with a +1 Reach for exclude or limitate the effect upon a requirement(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by The Throne View Post
                    There is any issue to grant Key for not-space magic ?
                    I refer to :
                    " Spells that can be Keyed are called out below, usually at the cost of a Reach. The Key may have a number of requirements equal to the spell’s Potency"
                    Example, make an AoE spell with a +1 Reach for exclude or limitate the effect upon a requirement(s).
                    I believe that is normally the purview of Warding Gesture, so I consider that you require it for generic AoE spells. Otherwise adding conjunctional Fate 1 during casting should allow the spell to know when someone has a certain intention or if a mundane condition is true (by adding some functionality of Oaths Fulfilled into it and considering Fate's general purview), with an additional Reach permitting conditions only detectable by Mage Sight.

But its possible conjunctional Space 2 could do it, but you would need to mix some other Arcanum at 1 or a generic yantra to even detect the condition, depending on its complexity. Everyone who is dressed in green passes ? Easy, no yantra required. Only descendants from X family may pass ? Sure, within the purview of Space, but you will probably need a representational yantra. Only members members of Y club can pass ? You probably will need one here as well.
                    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 01-03-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Use a specific Yantra, maybe without bonus dice but only for this effect? Great idea Kaiser, nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Throne View Post
                        Use a specific Yantra, maybe without bonus dice but only for this effect? Great idea Kaiser, nice!
                        Depends, if its indirect representation such as their name or a drawing of the family crest. Then yep, no bonus.

But if its a picture of them, piece of DNA, family tree, painting, heirloom or similar, then you get a +1 bonus.

I believe that is it, but I recommend double checking the rules of Sympathy yantras for more details. So the option is there should they choose to go through some additional steps for extra dice.

Comment

• Hello, one of my players is a Forge Master and has managed to become disiciple of spirit so, for the sake of forging perfected materials the slow way (shadow realm "passings") she is setting up shop and she intends to put a forge spirit in the aforementioned shop hoping to maybe get a little faster tempering times, get a measure of protection for the shop and have a "little" helper for the forging process. I wrote "little" since the idea would be to have a rank 3 Forge spirit in house.

Which could be the actual benefits and drawbacks of this kind of set up? (My groups always disregarded the spirit world for more flashier Arcanas and solutions -maybe wisely sometimes-, so i never not delved a lot in spirits pacts, courts and the like)

Some more precise questions in regard are:
                          - While it would be a lot easier to go for less powerful spirits, wouldn't even a rank 3 spirit jump at the idea of becoming the spirit of an actual forge? Would it put particularly taxing conditions being it of Rank 3?
                          - Would it actually be useful as a forging assistant? Could it do some of the tempering on his own in regard to perfect materials or create some normal objects on his own?
                          - In time the Forge should become a Loci from where the spirit should be able to gather more and more essence, becoming more and more powerful. How much time/essence should it need to get a rank? I always found spirits evolution foggy :/
                          - The spirit would be operating on this side of the Gauntlet or anyway across the Gauntlet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Khalendas View Post
                            Hello, one of my players is a Forge Master and has managed to become disiciple of spirit so, for the sake of forging perfected materials the slow way (shadow realm "passings") she is setting up shop and she intends to put a forge spirit in the aforementioned shop hoping to maybe get a little faster tempering times, get a measure of protection for the shop and have a "little" helper for the forging process. I wrote "little" since the idea would be to have a rank 3 Forge spirit in house.

Which could be the actual benefits and drawbacks of this kind of set up? (My groups always disregarded the spirit world for more flashier Arcanas and solutions -maybe wisely sometimes-, so i never not delved a lot in spirits pacts, courts and the like)

- While it would be a lot easier to go for less powerful spirits, wouldn't even a rank 3 spirit jump at the idea of becoming the spirit of an actual forge? Would it put particularly taxing conditions being it of Rank 3?
                            - Would it actually be useful as a forging assistant? Could it do some of the tempering on his own in regard to perfect materials or create some normal objects on his own?
                            - In time the Forge should become a Loci from where the spirit should be able to gather more and more essence, becoming more and more powerful. How much time/essence should it need to get a rank? I always found spirits evolution foggy :/
                            - The spirit would be operating on this side of the Gauntlet or anyway across the Gauntlet?

Remember the influence table on p256, in order for spirits to create things they need influence 4 which means rank 4. 1-3 includes strengthen, manipulate & control via influences, it could however use its sudo skill to make mundane things maybe. As long as you can feed the spirit then it'll have skills equiv to its nature. So a rank 3 "Forge" spirit should have a decent dicepool to help out. Where it helps out depends on if you can keep an open condition around for it to manifest or whatever.
                            The spirit progression rules are non-existant atm, but i believe giest 2e has/will have playable ghosts so you may be able to borrow similar rules for how a spirit increases its ranks, otherwise you'll have to wing it.
                            Id have to reread perfected materials again but it its just passing it back and forth through the gauntlet then i dont think the spirit can even help with this, unless it can hold the stuff and pass back and forth itself too?

Comment

• Originally posted by totalgit View Post

Remember the influence table on p256, in order for spirits to create things they need influence 4 which means rank 4. 1-3 includes strengthen, manipulate & control via influences, it could however use its sudo skill to make mundane things maybe. As long as you can feed the spirit then it'll have skills equiv to its nature. So a rank 3 "Forge" spirit should have a decent dicepool to help out. Where it helps out depends on if you can keep an open condition around for it to manifest or whatever.
                              The spirit progression rules are non-existant atm, but i believe giest 2e has/will have playable ghosts so you may be able to borrow similar rules for how a spirit increases its ranks, otherwise you'll have to wing it.
                              Id have to reread perfected materials again but it its just passing it back and forth through the gauntlet then i dont think the spirit can even help with this, unless it can hold the stuff and pass back and forth itself too?

Even better if the spirit cannot help with the passings, it feels more adequate if the player does it.
                              If it has materialize it could actually work in the forge

Comment

• Originally posted by Khalendas View Post
                                Hello, one of my players is a Forge Master and has managed to become disiciple of spirit so, for the sake of forging perfected materials the slow way (shadow realm "passings&quot she is setting up shop and she intends to put a forge spirit in the aforementioned shop hoping to maybe get a little faster tempering times, get a measure of protection for the shop and have a "little" helper for the forging process. I wrote "little" since the idea would be to have a rank 3 Forge spirit in house.

One approach is to make the workshop convenient for it. Start by giving it the right Resonance, then ward it from any other spirit than it from entering and use a Shielding spell to prevent Essence bleed within it. Now make the items tangible in Twilight via Gossamer Touch so it can manipulate them.

The workshop now is now a safe, reliable and exclusive source of Essence in the human side of the gauntlet, a very attractive thing indeed. Because spirits are brilliant at anything within their purview, a Rank 3 one will be skilled beyond peak human level. The downside is that higher Ranked spirits are likely to receive an Essence tithe from weaker ones, so additional negotiations might be needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X