Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should a ring carrying a few contingency stored spells be invisible, it will not trigger the Peripheral Sight at all, correct ?


    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
      Should a ring carrying a few contingency stored spells be invisible, it will not trigger the Peripheral Sight at all, correct ?
      Correct. “Peripheral Mage Sight notices only active supernatural effects. Any supernatural attempt at concealment hides the effect from the mage, without a Clash of Wills or any other mechanical effect.“ pg. 90.


      The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

      Comment


      • Excellent, thank you.


        New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

        The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
        The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

        Comment


        • Hi, I have some questions regarding Supernal entities after reading Mage Core Rulebook and Sign of Sorcery. I would like to know if any of following questions has already been answered, thank you for your kind assistance.

          1.Are Supernal beings able to use Attainments (except for those related to Supernal Summoning and Rotes)? For example, can they utilize Arcana to protect themselves(a.k.a. Mage Armors)? Maybe they can’t use Yantras in spells, but can they cast spells through sympathetic or temporal sympathetic links?

          2.Do the Bounds (exiled Supernal entities) lose Corpus over time? If they discorporate, will they be taken away by Abyss or reform in their prisons?

          3.If an Ochemata is no longer governed by Sub-Soul trait and becomes a free-willed individual (as described in "Vital Autonomy"), will it still return to its creator after it discorporate?

          4.Since Supernal entities might lose Attributes every time they suffer damage, are the points lost permanently or temporarily? Like, after it returns to Supernal Realm, are those trait points still lost?
          Last edited by agrelletto; 03-31-2021, 07:58 PM. Reason: Correct typo and make questions more clear.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by agrelletto View Post
            Hi, I have some questions regarding Supernal entities after reading Mage Core Rulebook and Sign of Sorcery. I would like to know if any of following questions has already been answered, thank you for your kind assistance.

            1.Are Supernal beings able to use Attainments (except for those related to Supernal Summoning and Rotes)? For example, can they utilize Arcana to protect themselves(a.k.a. Mage Armors)? Maybe they can’t use Yantras in spells, but can they cast spells through sympathetic or temporal sympathetic links?

            2.Do the Bounds (exiled Supernal entities) lose Corpus over time? If they discorporate, will they be taken away by Abyss or reform in their prisons?

            3.If an Ochemata is no longer governed by Sub-Soul trait, will it still return to its creator after it discorporate?

            4.Since Supernal entities might lose Attributes every time they suffers damage, are the points lost permanently or temporarily? Like, when it is summoned again, are those trait points still lost?
            For the 1)
            It s not stated anywhere, but it would be silly to me if creatures with such mastery over arcana could not use arcana attainments.
            For the symp yantras, they probably use the rules for magic items (no bonus, but usable for the symp casting if i remember it rightly)

            2)from the core, it seems that they lose only mana and returns in their prisons wnen they drop to 0
            Last edited by Neos01; 03-31-2021, 03:30 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

              For the 1)
              It s not stated anywhere, but it would be silly to me if creatures with such mastery over arcana could not use arcana attainments.
              For the symp yantras, they probably use the rules for magic items (no bonus, but usable for the symp casting if i remember it rightly)

              2)from the core, it seems that they lose only mana and returns in their prisons wnen they drop to 0
              Thank you very much for your reply! About the first and second questions

              1) Does it mean that Supernal entities just use sympathetic links in spells without the requirement of mediums (and thus no bonus from the Sympathy Yantras)?

              2) So it seems that the magic of prisons not only bind the Bounds to Atlantean temples but also protect them from the constant erosion of Fallen World or Abyss.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by agrelletto View Post

                Thank you very much for your reply! About the first and second questions

                1) Does it mean that Supernal entities just use sympathetic links in spells without the requirement of mediums (and thus no bonus from the Sympathy Yantras)?

                2) So it seems that the magic of prisons not only bind the Bounds to Atlantean temples but also protect them from the constant erosion of Fallen World or Abyss.
                I think that they require a link and a yantra, but the yantra gives no bonuses and only allows the spell to be cast sympathetically

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

                  I think that they require a link and a yantra, but the yantra gives no bonuses and only allows the spell to be cast sympathetically
                  Oh I see.

                  Sympathy Yantras are necessary to utilize sympathetic links, while the bonus die of them represents the benefit to the mind work of mages, which is not applicable to Supernal beings as they cast spells in more instinctual way.

                  Thanks for answering my questions!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by agrelletto View Post

                    Oh I see.

                    Sympathy Yantras are necessary to utilize sympathetic links, while the bonus die of them represents the benefit to the mind work of mages, which is not applicable to Supernal beings as they cast spells in more instinctual way.

                    Thanks for answering my questions!
                    No.

                    Sympathy Yantras only provide bonus dice if used at Sensory or touch range.

                    If used at Sympathetic range they provide no die bonus at all, but are necessary for casting the spell.

                    The benefit to a good (high Connection) sympathy yantra for Sympathetic Casting is that you can use Borrow Threads to gain the sympathy to the target of the item.

                    [edit]See Satchel's clarification.
                    Last edited by proindrakenzol; 04-01-2021, 01:59 PM.


                    Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

                      No.

                      Sympathy Yantras only provide bonus dice if used at Sensory or touch range.

                      If used at Sympathetic range they provide no die bonus at all, but are necessary for casting the spell.

                      The benefit to a good (high Connection) sympathy yantra for Sympathetic Casting is that you can use Borrow Threads to gain the sympathy to the target of the item.
                      I misread the symapthy yantra part in the rulebook, thank you for pointing out this.

                      The benefit of sympathetic links derived from yantras is really useful if the caster doesn't have the link to the target or the link is too weak.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                        Sympathy Yantras only provide bonus dice if used at Sensory or touch range.

                        If used at Sympathetic range they provide no die bonus at all, but are necessary for casting the spell.
                        Or rather, you have to use them for both the Attainment and the bonus to apply the bonus to a sympathetic casting, as you would for any other case where you used a Yantra that qualified for multiple bonuses.


                        Resident Lore-Hound
                        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                          Or rather, you have to use them for both the Attainment and the bonus to apply the bonus to a sympathetic casting, as you would for any other case where you used a Yantra that qualified for multiple bonuses.
                          Yes, what i meant is that i think that supernal beings can only use those yantras in the first way

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            Or rather, you have to use them for both the Attainment and the bonus to apply the bonus to a sympathetic casting, as you would for any other case where you used a Yantra that qualified for multiple bonuses.
                            You're correct, I remembered the wording incorrectly, thank you!


                            Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

                            Comment


                            • Two questions:

                              1- Is there a limit to how much Reach a Mage can try, even with paradoxes?

                              2- Is a Demesne still Paradox-free? If so, how does reach work (if without a limit)?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Max Deltree View Post
                                Two questions:

                                1- Is there a limit to how much Reach a Mage can try, even with paradoxes?

                                2- Is a Demesne still Paradox-free? If so, how does reach work (if without a limit)?
                                1) No
                                2) Demesne's are only paradox free inside themselves. If you target an area larger then it or outside of it, it's still subject to paradox.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X