No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy/difficult do you make deciphering a normal ("normal") Grimoire? Should any mage who reads it automatically be able to tell what Rotes it contains, do you require an Intelligence + Occult roll, make it a Mystery, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      How easy/difficult do you make deciphering a normal ("normal&quot Grimoire? Should any mage who reads it automatically be able to tell what Rotes it contains, do you require an Intelligence + Occult roll, make it a Mystery, etc?
      Don’t have the books with me right now, but my knee-jerk response is Opacity equal to rating of highest Arcana.

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

• How difficult it is to destroy an Artifact?

Homebrews:
        Vampire Bloodlines: Abhartach, Kiasyd
        Ordo Dracul Coils: Hunger, Primal Blood
        Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

Comment

• Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
          How difficult it is to destroy an Artifact?
          From what I can tell in at least Second Edition descriptions, Artifacts are virtually indestructible to anything within reach of conventional mages; there's no mention of how to assign Durability to them, and the spell concerned directly with destroying magical items cannot work on them. I'd want to go back over my First Edition books to check for the extent they had to say on the topic, but I note that Imperial Mysteries describes the destruction of an Artifact as a possible effect for an archspell.

There's always the option of tossing it into the Ocean Oroboros.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• How hard should it be to find the Key to a spell such as Ward? Should I include it in it's Deep Information, or should I make it harder?

Comment

• Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
              How hard should it be to find the Key to a spell such as Ward? Should I include it in it's Deep Information, or should I make it harder?
              Deep Info sounds fitting. Surface Info is too easy.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Deep Info sounds fitting. Surface Info is too easy.
                Yeah, I was thinking Deep at the very least, my main concern is whether it's too easy, especially for low level spells like Ward, but I guess that's why people use those spells to increase Opacity or Supernal Veil.

Comment

• Maybe not so simple, but:
                  I swear there was this post that contextualized and analyzed each of the Arcana with two concepts, and where each concept overlapped with other Arcana (like how in Classic philosophy, Fire is Warm + Dry, and Air is Warm + Wet, so both share Warm). Any body remember that? And where it was?

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• All questions involving signs of Sorcery.

Question: What is the easiest way for a Moros to make lasting perfected metals without an existing gate or spirit arcana?

Question: explain to me how Primal transfer helps as it still requires you to hold a spell?
                    Also how does time limit actually help?
                    Last edited by Santino; 09-06-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Santino View Post
                      All questions involving signs of Sorcery.

Question: What is the easiest way for a Moros to make lasting perfected metals without an existing gate or spirit arcana?
                      A Moros is more likely to have enough Death to bring the material into and out of Twilight.

Originally posted by Santino View Post
                      Question: explain to me how Primal transfer helps as it still requires you to hold a spell?
                      Also how does time limit actually help?
                      You can transfer control of more than one spell. The other mage gets to control when to cancel any of these spells or if they wish to relinquish them, having them pay the cost instead of the caster.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

A Moros is more likely to have enough Death to bring the material into and out of Twilight.
                        The question to this is how? What spells cause it seems like ghost gate just eats the items material existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Santino View Post
                          it seems like ghost gate just eats the items material existence.
                          What do you mean by that?

Ghost Gate says it creates a two-dimensional plane that converts anything that moves through it into Twilight, or transforms directly with Reach. The rules for Perfecting metals say that it can be done by passing something back and forth from Twilight. I don't see any contradiction between the two.

Time Limit helps by letting a mage creating an Imbued Item relinquish the spell they put into it without heavier costs such as Willpower dots or things like murder or soul destruction. A limit to use the item of weeks or months is fairly reasonable, especially if a decent amount of the imago is given to the Potency. Keep in mind that as a three dot spell with Duration as the primary factor, if you Reach for Advanced then the spell lasts for a week without even needing to take penalties, to enchant an extended action that takes only an hour per roll. If you put most of the penalties into Potency, you end up with a spell that can readily let the item maker complete their work and end up with an object that will hold its power for a fairly long time.

It's probably best employed if somebody has a specific use in mind for the spell that will be imbued. Really, in a lot of cases it's going to amount to the same thing as a person being given an imbued item on temporary loan, just with the altered case where it could be custom made for them and takes less energy out of the person who made it.

Actually... I'd missed it before, but it seems as though the time limit only even applies per user; the item will still retain power that can be used by somebody else thereafter, for the same limited period. So yeah, even more like just getting an item on loan, in that once your time with it is up you give it to people who can still use it. Spend six months using your wand of fireball, and then when it no longer works anymore trade it away to somebody else in exchange for something nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            What do you mean by that?

Ghost Gate says it creates a two-dimensional plane that converts anything that moves through it into Twilight, or transforms directly with Reach. The rules for Perfecting metals say that it can be done by passing something back and forth from Twilight. I don't see any contradiction between the two.
                            Ghost Gate also says any item is destroyed once it passes through the gate. Passing the ephemeral object back into material form requires either temporarily making it physical (which doesn't actually convert it back from ephemera, just like how a Materialised ghost also still is made out of ephemera) or by straight up transforming it back with Death 4/Matter 4, which could potentially be ruled as not working since the when the object transforms back it should retain the properties it had before it was transformed.

But it's kinda stupid and nothing prevents a different spell to function consistently that just doesn't destroy items.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Thanks a bunch both of you that's what I needed to know.

Comment

• Avenging Hathor, if I can just continue addressing your spell question here:

I made a slight mistake in calculating the yantra bonus, 5+4+3 would be 12 dice not 11, so applying that before additional modifiers would put the pool at -1. With the full length ritual that puts it at 4 dice, or 7 with Willpower.

On top of that, Conditional Duration could be a consideration. If going with Duration as Primary Factor, the penalty for raising it to a month could be eliminated entirely just with an improbable condition ("when a person says oranges are blue while doing a handstand"), putting two dice back into the pool. Alternatively, Potency could be made Primary and the mage could be willing to go with a far more common condition ("when I encounter an orange"), and be left with the relatively more manageable -14 penalty. Either way, it might require less optimised yantras or give a few extra dice to the final pool to improve chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X