X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
    I think the theme of the Legacy is cool, but they never got justifiable mechanical benefits that made it a tempting path to pursue.
    I'd still maintain that in First Edition terms, the idea of Left-Handed and particularly Reaper Legacies as needing to constitute temptation was the wrong way to look at it, and that they were more an avenue for expressing a messed up perspective on the world. The Carnival Melancholy didn't need to be right about the idea that good fortune in the face of disaster was a zero sum game (arguably there are issues inherent to saying "that's correct, actually"), it just needed to be a thing they were really invested in validating for themselves.

That being said, I would say that the more strictly codified and narrow scope of Second Edition Legacies provides a reasonable mechanical hook for Reaper characters being able to put a bit more out of them by way of fuelling them with souls (in the same way that the Hand of Destiny in Nameless and Accursed demonstrates that a Scelesti Legacy can use Befouled Attainments to improve factors beyond the usual parameters with Paradox), at the expense of being limited to only being functional with that fuel.

But even then, I wouldn't portray it as the character having become a Reaper because they really wanted that Attainment to have a few extra steps of Potency then it would have had in a more benign Legacy.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

The ‘strictest’ was in the sense of “Well, no one said we can do it…”, as opposed to “Hey, no one said we can’t do it…”

And now that you’ve thrown this idea at us, now I’m thinking of how the Carnival Melancholy’s Attainments could work…
    In the Constaine show, he drunkenly enchants his friend with a warding spell. Whenever someone died, they would be unwillingly trapped by him, like a human soul jar. He would automatically use a soul to survive death once. Constantine's luck being what it is, everyone in the same pub as his friend died after he left the room, giving him a stock of 50 souls.

I was thinking that could be a thing they could do, burn a soul reflexively to gain a powerful boon or hex. This means they could use Charmed to constantly survive deadly situations, or Steadfast and Inspired to succeed in key moments (that one appeal to the angry werewolf or blending in with the escaping crowd). A hex at sensory range can also work as a type of anti-casting, by breaking sensory range, decreasing the dice pool, etc. It could be very versatile, so long as their stock holds.

Just an idea. I think the theme of the Legacy is cool, but they never got justifiable mechanical benefits that made it a tempting path to pursue. The revised Cloud Infinite, however, certainly did. Looking forward to how you update them.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-24-2021, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I mean, you say in the strictest sense of rules as written, but what about the idea would break rules?
    The ‘strictest’ was in the sense of “Well, no one said we can do it…”, as opposed to “Hey, no one said we can’t do it…”

And now that you’ve thrown this idea at us, now I’m thinking of how the Carnival Melancholy’s Attainments could work…

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

I was speaking from a strictest sense of RAW.
    Ah, I was thrown a bit by your referring to it as homebrew. Admittedly, that's a bit of an ambiguous term when we have something like Creative Thaumaturgy and improvised magic.

I mean, you say in the strictest sense of rules as written, but what about the idea would break rules?

KaiserAfini, I feel changing appearance would put it a bit more dramatically beyond what I think would qualify as a boon, which admittedly makes me question the viability of the idea.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    The way I see it, Sworn Oaths is a template that models the most basic capacity of oaths. The target willingly swears an oath, then they receive the benefit of a spell for adhering to it or a downside for violing it. The key detail is that the downside cannot be mitigated since it has no Withstand, but requires the willing participation of the target.

With Fate 5, for example, they could swear to fight a Banisher that is an enemy of the caster and be Destined to be very efficient in opposing them. But should they cooperate with them, they will be hit by an Unmaking of Fate, ending their treachery.

Another example is to use Life 2. Should the subject adhere to the oath, they continue to look like a different person. But should they start revealing the caster's involvement, they become subject to a Ruling effect that stops them from speaking.

In summary, a hex and a boon are the most elementary things to add to an oath. But more variation is certainly possible.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-24-2021, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X