X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by werikscs View Post
    Hello everyone! Could a time mage change the frequency that physical events occur but that have the time variable in their representations?

Some examples:

- change the rate at which a subject accelerates (for example, a subject experiencing the effects of gravity from 9.8m/s^2 -> 9.8m/(10s)^2

- change the rate at which a subject travels a distance (for example, a subject traveling at 10m/s -> 10m/(10s)

- or in the case of a collision, increasing the time it would take a subject to go from a speed x to 0 (maybe the same way as above examples), thus decreasing the damage the subject would suffer (Example 9.2 on link: https://openstax.org/books/universit...and-collisions)

I know these ideas could easily be done with Forces but I'm playing with Time and I would like to know if it's possible to accomplish these kind of effects with this Arcana. And Time is still a bit abstract for me, I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to improve usage.
    I also agree that the first two applications sound like Acceleration and Chrono's Curse.

Regarding the third one, the same amount of forces would apply, magic simply overwrites the phenomenon its applied to, without altering anything else. Which means that using Matter to change the state of a rock to liquid will create a room temperature liquefied rock rather than lava. Applying the same principle can create ice vapor or a room temperature water block.

The Time effect you are looking for sounds like Mage Armor. Regarding different applications of Time, I made a detailed post about it, hopefully that can be a useful starting point. Since they are based on spells I previously wrote in Creative Thaumaturgy, if there is anything that looks interesting, please let me know and I will provide the reference for more details.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 04-04-2022, 03:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• orathaic
    replied
    change the rate at which a subject accelerates (for example, a subject experiencing the effects of gravity from 9.8m/s^2 -> 9.8m/(10s)^2
    I think the answer is no. Even though it disagrees with my sense of physics, you can slow a person's movement through time, but gravity would remain the same (from their perspective). Everyone else would see them falling at half the rate - but in the time frame they are travelling in they would still hit the ground just as hard.

F = ma => a = F/m you can either change the force with Forces, or change the mass with Matter, but i think Time only affects the relative motion through time... At least that would be my interpretation.

This is accomplished through the Disciple level spells Acceleration and Chronos' Curse, on pages 188 and 189 of the corebook.
    I was going to reference these two spells, but reading them through, i don't think they accomplish what is being asked.

Mechanically those spells allow you change your speed and possibly add potency to your defence.

But reducing the impulse (time over which a force is applied) would be more like armour.
    Last edited by orathaic; 04-03-2022, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by werikscs View Post
    Hello everyone! Could a time mage change the frequency that physical events occur but that have the time variable in their representations?

Some examples:

- change the rate at which a subject accelerates (for example, a subject experiencing the effects of gravity from 9.8m/s^2 -> 9.8m/(10s)^2

- change the rate at which a subject travels a distance (for example, a subject traveling at 10m/s -> 10m/(10s)

- or in the case of a collision, increasing the time it would take a subject to go from a speed x to 0 (maybe the same way as above examples), thus decreasing the damage the subject would suffer (Example 9.2 on link: https://openstax.org/books/universit...and-collisions)

I know these ideas could easily be done with Forces but I'm playing with Time and I would like to know if it's possible to accomplish these kind of effects with this Arcana. And Time is still a bit abstract for me, I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to improve usage.
    This is accomplished through the Disciple level spells Acceleration and Chronos' Curse, on pages 188 and 189 of the corebook.

Leave a comment:

• werikscs
    replied

Some examples:

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    The individual subjects are likely fully aware of themselves even though they're subjects of the spell.
    Well the spell does use the phrase "onlookers".

Originally posted by Tessie
    As such I think it's reasonable to be able to designate all subjects combined as a single unit, making the unit still aware of itself as if it was a single subject.
    Well what does that mean for the prospect of dispelling it?

Invisibility of various kinds is pretty strong, I think it's reasonable enough for those benefiting to deal with the complication of being unable to perceive one another. Besides, a bit of planning to coordinate beforehand can deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    The individual subjects are likely fully aware of themselves even though they're subjects of the spell. As such I think it's reasonable to be able to designate all subjects combined as a single unit, making the unit still aware of itself as if it was a single subject. At the very most this would cost a Reach, but I'd personally allow it to be a free choice because the subjects being aware of each other feels more natural even though it's technically not RAW.

I would not, as someone suggested above, lock that choice in when turning the spell into a Rote. Rotes allow you to cast a single spell, but leave all types of choices and factors up to the caster, not the creator of the Rote.

Leave a comment:

• orathaic
    replied
    Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
    Would targets of the same casting of Incognito Presence be able to interact with each other as normal, or are they as incapable of perceiving each other as everyone else? Invisibility has a similar drawback, only you can at least hear each other and remember doing so
    The simplest solution i have seen was to give the targets a telepathic connection first.

Letting them communicated silently, and possibly share each other's senses (though i wonder whether they can see themselves through the other's eyes...)

Alternatively, i think you can exempt them from effect of the spell using Fate (even though they aren't subjects of the spell).

Leave a comment:

• Scriptorian
    replied
    I imagine a +1 Reach option to allow Incognito Presence subjects to perceive each other would be appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I think if people are under the effect of a Veiling, they're Veiled from everybody it would naturally apply to, even if they were separate targets of the same spell. If nothing else, I'd put it under the same logic as how individual targets within a single spell get to Withstand separately.

Leave a comment:

• TempleBuilder
    replied
    Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
    Would targets of the same casting of Incognito Presence be able to interact with each other as normal, or are they as incapable of perceiving each other as everyone else? Invisibility has a similar drawback, only you can at least hear each other and remember doing so
    I could see both options, honestly. I don’t think the spell causes the subject to forget themselves, so there is some shielding from its effects. I believe it mostly depends how a mage sets up the spell, different rotes might have the drawback or not, depending on who made them.

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LunaLupa
    replied
    Thank you for the answers.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by LunaLupa View Post
    Can you only have one familiar?
    It doesn't seem like it. I think the only obstacle would be the story sense of not wanting too many spirits to manage or take responsibility for, and that's a fairly soft one.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by LunaLupa View Post
    I couldn't find anywhere in the book if it is explicitly prohibited to have more than one familiar.
    Can you only have one familiar?
    Nope. There was a Merit specifically for having multiple familiars very early in 1e, where its only effect was allowing you to buy more, and 2e has generally moved past that type of cost.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X