No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't, in the current version of the rules, because indefinite-duration spells cannot be cast on living Patterns without archmastery.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

Totally forgot about that one.

New Q:The spell Reading Outmost Eddies had duration Prolonged(one scene), how does it work? Does it provide one instance of small fortune per cast or does it simply keep sending small fortunes your way for the duration?

Comment

Originally posted by Suleri Drals View Post
        It's probably stupid but i don't get this, Ascended Archmasters aren't supposed to be merged with their cintamanni in the Supernal ? thus why this mention of "merged with their chantry" (a world in their soul) ?

Maybe a Ascended Archmaster still have a chantry who is integrated in his ascended soul/lustrum (rather than his former golden road) , but why the "or" ?
        No-one knows what exactly happens when you Ascend, or why Ascended Archmasters can't enter the Fallen World in person. Or if they do, they aren't telling.

However, Archmasters do know that the Golden Road remains behind, including the Cintimanni and any Chantries. And that these retain elements of the Archmage's personality, and that the Seekers of the Throne give Ministers access to them as part of their duties. So it is not unreasonable of them, to suspect that Ascension involves completely merging with one's perfected Soul, and that one might find some remnant of the Ascended within either Lustrum or Chantry.

On the other hand, the rest of the book seems clear - insofar as possible, considering the toolbox nature of the nWoD - that Ascension merges the archmage with their Cintamani, and what remains behind in Chantries is not the Ascended Mage, but semi-abandoned Subsouls. So this is probably not true by default.

It would, however, be easy to insert into your game - and pretty cool, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MugaSofer View Post
          On the other hand, the rest of the book seems clear - insofar as possible, considering the toolbox nature of the nWoD - that Ascension merges the archmage with their Cintamani, and what remains behind in Chantries is not the Ascended Mage, but semi-abandoned Subsouls. So this is probably not true by default.
          This. I think it was a mistake when Chantries were included in the original post, unless the poster uses this in their own games.

The Golden road of an Ascended mage remains behind, though is unstable and called a Wending. The Chantries and Irises that connect them to the worlds they were Seeded from may still be be entered (though not always), and the golden road can still be observed. "Inhabitants such as orphaned Ochemata or any Chantry population may still be present and rival Seekers may have
          claimed the Wending as territory." Furthermore, "Archmages can absorb Chantries built in Wendings into their own Roads with the Practice of Entities." Finally, the golden road can crumple and be destroyed if someone tries to cross it, and they would then be dumped into the Abyss.

Comment

Thanks but I said that because a line from Imperial Mysteries. (My quote in my original post), maybe this is an incorrect assumption from the non-ascended archmasters's viewpoint. (obvisouly, I know about Wendings and the fact that "Ascension is merging with his Cintammani" is almost explicit elsewhere)

(although the idea of a few archmasters merging with their chantry and become a part of the Phenomenal World* rather than ascend in the Supernal seemed rather cool to me it reminds me of the Selenim's Realms from Nephilim)

*Essentially use the Seeker's Ascension to harmonize yourself with Reality (Phenomenal World) Rather than the Supernal Truth (a little like the Aswadim who use the Golden Road to no longer be in harmony with the universe)
            The "Noumenon" would be like "create and impose a place in the Phenomenal World from his Chantry and become the expression (not the idealization of course, the goal is become more real than true) of this part of the Phenomenal World" I don't think it would be so metaphysically impossible, more "interfere with the thematic of the game or the archmasters are not numerous enough to form Ententes with this kind of Ideas or succeed in this kind of audacity (or far too unique to be know)
            But if it was an Entente, the Ethos would be like "The Phenomenal should not be slave of the Supernal's Tyrants or the Abyss and you can reign as good below as above; Anamorphosis is as an Apotheosis as the Supernal Ascension" and takes the realization that the Phenomenal World is no less than the Supernal up to eleven.

Comment

What Arcana do you need to turn a person into gold? Matter 5, or 6?

Comment

Life 4 Matter 5

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Can you get specific isotopes with Matter 5 or would you need higher levels?
                  Related question: At what level could you create anti-matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Korusef View Post
                    Related question: At what level could you create anti-matter?
                    Forces 6, as per Imperial Mysteries.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

Since Satchel already answered the other one...

Originally posted by Korusef
                      Can you get specific isotopes with Matter 5 or would you need higher levels?
                      You can, but anything radioactive needs conjuctional Forces (4-5).

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                        Since Satchel already answered the other one...

You can, but anything radioactive needs conjuctional Forces (4-5).
                        It wouldn't as it's not making it radioactive but having forces 4-5 would be good so you didn't get radiation poisoning from it.

Comment

Thing is, matter (low case m) at atomic and sub-atomic levels is a grey area of overlap between Matter and Forces (though sub-atomic is mostly Forces). Anyway, not all isotopes are radiocative, and those that aren't need only Matter, but radioactive isotopes (most of them, really) do need Forces, as anything that generates radioactivity needs it. It doesn't matter you are not making it radioactive, the fact that it is is enough to need the conjuctional Arcanum.

EDIT: now, that's bound to change in the FWC as it seems Conjuctional requirments are way, way, less exigent. It may be just Matter (or just Forces, or any of them indistictly) in the new rules.
                          Last edited by Thorbes; 06-18-2014, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                            Thing is, matter (low case m) at atomic and sub-atomic levels is a grey area of overlap between Matter and Forces (though sub-atomic is mostly Forces).
                            Considering that sub-atomic particles are more little bundles of statistical equations than anything you would consider "solid", I like to think of Matter as being made out of Forces and Fate.

Comment

Yeah - creating Matter that then happens to produce radiation shouldn't need Forces going forward, IMO, any more than producing Caesium that you then chuck into water does because it bursts into flame.

Or, as in the current rules, producing liquids that happen to be toxic, despite "create poison" also being a Life spell.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

And what about altering the state of matter to plasma? Could (and should) be posible with Matter alone? It is one of the 4 basic states after all, but some of the common manifestations as electrical currents or flames are suposedly covered by Forces.

By the way, I hope is posible.
                                Last edited by Thorbes; 06-19-2014, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X