Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think Bluewinds' Sisterhood of the Blessed is a great example of this in practice.

    The ethos of accumulating political power via subtle manipulation and "lucky" coincidences remains, but this branch focuses on proactively seizing authority rather than becoming the power behind the crown.

    The culture, yantras and oblations still cleave to the original philosophy, but the unorthodox Attainments and approach quality it as a variation. In this case, I believe the sympathetic connection remains, but a soul stone or Daimonomika created by such a mage would teach this version of it.


    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
      Can you have only your First Attainment be the same as the rest of your peers, and still be one of them?
      I would say yes. I think the shared process of initiation, the Yantras and oblations, and the parameters under which an Attainment must be developed remain common enough to still be identifiable as the same Legacy.

      I think it's enough for an orthodoxy to predominate rather than riddling the Legacy with variations through a combination of the incentive of greater ease, a bit of insistence by peers, and coming to a Legacy generally out of sincere investment in what it's about.


      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

      Comment


      • The spell Choose the Thread (Time ••) (pag 187, Core), says

        The subject’s player rolls twice for her next mundane dice roll...

        does that mean that after using the effect, the spell ends?

        that is, is the spell only for the next roll and not for rolls made within the spell's duration?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by werikscs View Post
          The spell Choose the Thread (Time ••) (pag 187, Core), says


          does that mean that after using the effect, the spell ends?

          that is, is the spell only for the next roll and not for rolls made within the spell's duration?
          Yes, the spell only affects the subject's next roll. However, I will note that the text is ambiguous on whether its effect is Lasting (such as Knit, which is to say the spell ends as soon as it's cast unless Advanced Duration is applied), or if the spell has a normal Duration (in which case even after its power is used, the spell would still technically be active until dismissed or its timer runs out).

          Comment


          • Would it be possible to decrease the time needed for the brain to "think" with Time?

            The idea is to react more quickly to external events and possibly think faster. Something like what Flash can do. If so, would you have any idea how to do this?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by werikscs View Post
              Would it be possible to decrease the time needed for the brain to "think" with Time?

              The idea is to react more quickly to external events and possibly think faster. Something like what Flash can do. If so, would you have any idea how to do this?
              Tipping the Hourglass and Acceleration both more or less cover that angle, at least from a more abstracted point of view. For long-term pondering, there's Blink of an Eye, or potentially a new, lower-level spell that reduces the intervals for extended actions.

              Outside that, if you wanted to represent the subject's brain processing information and sensory input faster, I think there's probably justification for representing such as a Time Perfecting spell that increases the subject's Wits.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by werikscs View Post
                Would it be possible to decrease the time needed for the brain to "think" with Time?

                The idea is to react more quickly to external events and possibly think faster. Something like what Flash can do. If so, would you have any idea how to do this?
                Wits is the speed at which you take in and process information. Dexterity is your ability to antecipate and adjust your fine motion control for given tasks. With a Perfecting of Time, you could increase either by [Potency]. By spending a Reach and a mana, you could go beyond trait limits.
                Last edited by KaiserAfini; 04-29-2022, 04:20 PM.


                New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                Comment


                • Think there is room for a legacy about embracing one’s mortality and getting the most out of what time they do have? Wanted a thematic opposite to a Prime/Mind Lich.


                  To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

                  So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
                    Think there is room for a legacy about embracing one’s mortality and getting the most out of what time they do have? Wanted a thematic opposite to a Prime/Mind Lich.
                    A possible conundrum to a Legacy embracing mortality is that the Psychopomp blocks the way for souls trying to move beyond the Fallen world. So making the most of life probably requires addressing the fear of doom after death.

                    Regarding Arcana, I think Life and Fate would make for a good combination. Life ensures you are always in peak condition, well fed, fully healed and able to adapt to whatever curveballs an intensely proactive lifestyle throws at you. Fate ensures there are new opportunities, small pleasures and lucky breaks to keep you motivated even in the darkest moments, to make beacons of hope for yourself and others.


                    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by werikscs View Post
                      Would it be possible to decrease the time needed for the brain to "think" with Time?

                      The idea is to react more quickly to external events and possibly think faster. Something like what Flash can do. If so, would you have any idea how to do this?
                      How do you envision that working out in play terms?

                      Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
                      Think there is room for a legacy about embracing one’s mortality and getting the most out of what time they do have? Wanted a thematic opposite to a Prime/Mind Lich.
                      I think the Tamers of the Void in Legacies: the Ancient might be like that.


                      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                        How do you envision that working out in play terms?
                        The main ideia is to use Hung Spell (pag 187, Core) with Shifting Sands (pag 189, Core), to create something like Izanagi.
                        When the subject is injured in some way, she cancels Hung Spell and Shifting Sands start.

                        The objective of heightening the subject's 'senses' is to realize that she is being hurt and to be able to cancel Hung Spell before it is too late.

                        I know I probably could do the same with Fate 2 but I don't have Fate. In our game, we can choose the arcana you want to start with (homebrew).

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by werikscs View Post

                          The main ideia is to use Hung Spell (pag 187, Core) with Shifting Sands (pag 189, Core), to create something like Izanagi.
                          When the subject is injured in some way, she cancels Hung Spell and Shifting Sands start.

                          The objective of heightening the subject's 'senses' is to realize that she is being hurt and to be able to cancel Hung Spell before it is too late.

                          I know I probably could do the same with Fate 2 but I don't have Fate. In our game, we can choose the arcana you want to start with (homebrew).

                          Well... cancelling spells is already a reflexive action, it can be done at will regardless of any other considerations of timing. A person could be injured and then immediately will the Hung Spell to end, so is this a case of wanting some option where a person perceives incoming harm before it connects or is damaged lethally but is able to end the spell before falling unconscious? What are the particulars of wanting an option that can respond to harm before some threshold has been passed?


                          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post


                            Well... cancelling spells is already a reflexive action, it can be done at will regardless of any other considerations of timing. A person could be injured and then immediately will the Hung Spell to end, so is this a case of wanting some option where a person perceives incoming harm before it connects or is damaged lethally but is able to end the spell before falling unconscious? What are the particulars of wanting an option that can respond to harm before some threshold has been passed?

                            The idea is to notice the event that will injure the target as soon as it starts (assuming the target hasn't seen it coming). Like a sword touching the skin moments before taking an arm off, or a bullet touching the forehead moments before going through the head. But as a last resort, cancel the Hung Spell before the subject falls unconscious. The less the subject is injured, the better it would be.


                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by werikscs View Post


                              The idea is to notice the event that will injure the target as soon as it starts (assuming the target hasn't seen it coming). Like a sword touching the skin moments before taking an arm off, or a bullet touching the forehead moments before going through the head. But as a last resort, cancel the Hung Spell before the subject falls unconscious. The less the subject is injured, the better it would be.

                              Using time to avoid damage like this is effectively how the Time armour attainment works.

                              That may be an aside to what you are asking, but i thought it worth mentioning. Getting higher initiative using acceleration or similar gives some nice advantages.

                              Doing something like Choose the Threads to see what the best action to take next will be also seems appropriate - maybe having it as a legacy attainment so you could activate it without having to roll dice...

                              Basically, yes, Time has loads of ways of doing this, most seem to be ruling/perfecting...

                              Comment


                              • Ground Eater (pag 173, Core) and Acceleration (pag 188, Core) could they work together or did they fall under the spell stacking rule?

                                Ground Eater adds/reduces Potency to/from Speed and Acceleration multiply Speed by Potency.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X