X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obsidian Pharaoh
    • Nov 2013

Forgot Fettered entities can only use Influences and Numina on their Fetter. The point still stands, though: they're not "trapped" inside the Fetter.

On another note, I can't find the FAQ sheet with the answers to all the questions in the 2e FAQ thread. I'm specifically trying to find out why the Ghost/Goetia/Spirit Summons spells are 3-dot effects, and this is supposedly answered there.

Comment

• Mrmdubois
      • Apr 2014

I don't think there has ever been a completed FAQ sheet. Dave isn't getting paid to do it, and is also busy with other projects he is getting paid for. So priorities.

My guess though is that it's because the spell can accomplish things with one spell that you would otherwise require multiple 2 dot spells for.

Comment

• nofather
        • Nov 2013

At the point you are using Bind Ghost you can also strip away Numina (and Attributes). Craft Fetish is also at 4 dots, and a similar 'You stay in there until I say otherwise,' can probably be done with ghosts.
        Last edited by nofather; 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• taralx
          • Oct 2015

Are there separate rules for identifying an active spell, or is that just a Mystery?

Comment

• TenguGrib
            • Feb 2018

Pretty sure that if you are watching a spell being cast you can identify what it does just by watching it with Mage sight. I don't have the book on me to look into it and verify though. If it's an active spell that is just sitting around for whatever reason, then yes it would be a Mystery.

Comment

• LadyLens
              • Nov 2013

A classic D&D Spell is feather fall. It's pretty simple: the subject falls very slowly for the duration. Clearly this would be Forces, but would it be 1 or 2? The idea is to create a "slow fall" spell at the lowest dot level it can be.

Comment

• Mrmdubois
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
                A classic D&D Spell is feather fall. It's pretty simple: the subject falls very slowly for the duration. Clearly this would be Forces, but would it be 1 or 2? The idea is to create a "slow fall" spell at the lowest dot level it can be.
                I'd put it as Shielding, so 2 dots, as it protects you from the deleterious effects of gravity.

Speaking of Shielding, Here is the purview of Fate:
                Blessings, hexes, probability, fortune, oaths, promises, intentions, destiny.
                Does anyone have any interesting ideas for Shielding against these and how it would work out in their games?

Comment

• lnodiv
                  • Jul 2014

My Mage casts Invisibility, or some sort of Live Veiling effect on herself.
                  Can she see herself?

Comment

• LadyLens
                    • Nov 2013

If it's a mental invisibility, or some other effect on others, then yes. If she's created a cloaking field, Star Trek style, I'd say no. Indeed, she'd be blind without using some other means to see (night vision spell or gear, for the most obvious example).

Comment

• Mrmdubois
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
                      If it's a mental invisibility, or some other effect on others, then yes. If she's created a cloaking field, Star Trek style, I'd say no. Indeed, she'd be blind without using some other means to see (night vision spell or gear, for the most obvious example).
                      You don’t run the risk of being blinded by your own spells unless it’s specifically mentioned.

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                      My Mage casts Invisibility, or some sort of Live Veiling effect on herself.
                      Can she see herself?
                      I’d say no, but if she really has to she can flip on her Mage Sight, beat herself in a CoW, and then be able to see herself as her Mage Sight pierces the Veiling effect.

Comment

• Vent0
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                        Speaking of Shielding, Here is the purview of Fate: Does anyone have any interesting ideas for Shielding against these and how it would work out in their games?
                        Well, Shielding from Oaths would prevent any Oath-based magic from forming. Same for Blessings/Hexes. For probability/fortune, I'd treat it like Shield of Chronos and block perception of the character's fate or choices - they become unpredictable, a wild card in destiny's game.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Tessie
                          • May 2016

Dulling the Spindle (Fate ••)
                          Practice: Shielding
                          Primary Factor: Duration
                          Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Occult, Subterfuge
                          This shield provokes a Clash of Wills against any supernaturally binding oaths, attempts to change the subjects Destiny, any Fate spells, and other fate-related supernatural powers.

Knock on Wood (Fate ••)
                          Practice: Shielding
                          Primary Factor: Duration
                          Suggested Rote Skills: Stealth, Subterfuge, Survival
                          This spell makes the subject immune to mundane accidents. She won't slip and fall in the stairs, or pull out right in front of the car she didn't see. Attempts to avoid traps or crossing dangerous terrain gains the spell's Potency as bonus dice, as fate draws her eyes to the faint glimmer of the tripwire or places her foot on the most stable rock.
                          Direct attacks and supernatural powers are not affected by this spell.
                          +1 Reach: The subject gains the Charmed Condition for the duration of the spell.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
                          Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Mrmdubois
                            • Apr 2014

That second spell is exceptionally good Tessie

Comment

• Konradleijon
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2018

This is gonna be controversial but is the whole fluff of the Hegemonic Ministry dying kinda of wrong seeing the rise of nationalism and xenophobia?

Comment

• Poseur
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                                This is gonna be controversial but is the whole fluff of the Hegemonic Ministry dying kinda of wrong seeing the rise of nationalism and xenophobia?

It's a conflict of global (cosmic) proportions on which of the ministries are the hegemonic (no pun) ones. The rise and fall of a progenitor ministry could take centuries. Global mercantilism, trade and the idea of globalisation and the capitalist system has had hundreds of years in the making, but it is still not enough to topple the Hegemonic ministry. The rise of nationalism once again seen in the world is probably a strong kick back from the Hegemonic ministry to defend it's position as progenitor.

But no, it probably ain't true that it's wrong. Nationalism is still trending down compared to earlier, and the believes in the global market and capitalism is surely on the rise still. However, if the current political climate is more then a hic-up in our western democracies is impossible to say for sure, I hope it's just a hic-up but I might be completely wrong. But from an In-game perspective once again, it's clear it's an ongoing war of tyranny of whom's gonna be top dog over whom in the Iron Pyramid.

Speaking of the progenitors, it's fairly interesting to see whom has been strong before in history and whom is weaker now etc. The General might have had power for the longest, but is surely weaker today then before. And the Father surely is still strong, but not as before.
                                Last edited by Poseur; 07-13-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...