X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suleri Drals
    started a topic Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

I reopen the thread : (Original author : Archmage Joda)

To restart :

Q1 : Camelot was created by Imperium Rite or Practice ?

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hyuse View Post
    I have a quick question about Ghost/Goetic Summons. Using the reach to give the summoned a one word spell, in theory, would always cause a breaking point as you are forcing a being to do something. Why wouldn't the act of summoning them and forcing them to come to you not also cause a breaking point?
    Unless answering the summons is counter to the spirit's interests, there is no reason to assume that would be the case.

That being said, yes, mages who do a lot of summoning and binding will either inure their tools of trade, conduct their work sparingly and/or Virtuously, or make their peace with not being especially Wise.

P.S. Is there a good resource for learning about Goetia outside of the book?
    Astral Realms still has a lot of generally-usable information as well as a great number of example Astral denizens.

Leave a comment:

• Hyuse
    replied
    I have a quick question about Ghost/Goetic Summons. Using the reach to give the summoned a one word spell, in theory, would always cause a breaking point as you are forcing a being to do something. Why wouldn't the act of summoning them and forcing them to come to you not also cause a breaking point?

P.S. Is there a good resource for learning about Goetia outside of the book?
    Last edited by Hyuse; Yesterday, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Looking at page 111 of Astral Realms, there is the Platonic Element numen, which is used to create Platonic Exemplar. Both that term and the item's ability to safely relinquish spells share a similarity with Eidoforms, which appear on page 102 of Signs of Sorcery. Within that entry, it is mentioned that there are no known reliable methods of creating them. However, the Platonic Element numen's entry suggests this is a way to achieve this, one which smiths, alchemists and other mages that craft (using fire for the given example of a salamander) would have a higher likelihood of finding. It does not allow one to create Plastic Eidoforms (I imagine that requires an additional boon from a crafting Supernal summon or crafting the item entirely from Platonic Exemplars), but even then it still sounds remarkably useful.

Does that mean that in 2ed that numen does not exists ? Would it be perhaps act as a gateway to studying the Mystery of the process, using a different ephemeral entity based on the crafting method (a member of the Forge Master or Lords of the Inanimate would be very interested) ?

Leave a comment:

• proindrakenzol
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
    I remember "something" about living beings reasserting their pattern and making it hard to have a lasting effect on them, outside of healing, damage and transform life. Can anyone tell me where that is or if that was a 1e thing or was it likely just specific to my old ST?

Edit: found the side bar that goes over this, the one that talks about turning people into frogs, life 4 patterning cannot do the types of lasting changes that I was thinking it couldnt.
    Lasting effects in 2e are those with ontological inertia, if the magic is removed the effect persists.

I think you're partially conflating this with the 1e rule for indefinite duration:

Originally posted by MtAw1e p120
    * The spell is permanent until cancelled or dispelled.
    Living targets, however, grow, change and heal. Spells with
    an indefinite Duration cannot be cast upon a living creature.
    In 2e a spell with an indefinite duration can be cast on a living creature.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.F.I.X.
    replied
    I remember "something" about living beings reasserting their pattern and making it hard to have a lasting effect on them, outside of healing, damage and transform life. Can anyone tell me where that is or if that was a 1e thing or was it likely just specific to my old ST?

Edit: found the side bar that goes over this, the one that talks about turning people into frogs, life 4 patterning cannot do the types of lasting changes that I was thinking it couldnt.
    Last edited by Mr.F.I.X.; 05-09-2022, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by werikscs View Post
    Ground Eater (pag 173, Core) and Acceleration (pag 188, Core) could they work together or did they fall under the spell stacking rule?

Ground Eater adds/reduces Potency to/from Speed and Acceleration multiply Speed by Potency.

I believe they do not stack, since they affect the same stat, in this case speed. What would stack with those individual spells would be something like Levitation.

Leave a comment:

• werikscs
    replied
    Ground Eater (pag 173, Core) and Acceleration (pag 188, Core) could they work together or did they fall under the spell stacking rule?

Ground Eater adds/reduces Potency to/from Speed and Acceleration multiply Speed by Potency.

Leave a comment:

• orathaic
    replied

The idea is to notice the event that will injure the target as soon as it starts (assuming the target hasn't seen it coming). Like a sword touching the skin moments before taking an arm off, or a bullet touching the forehead moments before going through the head. But as a last resort, cancel the Hung Spell before the subject falls unconscious. The less the subject is injured, the better it would be.

Using time to avoid damage like this is effectively how the Time armour attainment works.

That may be an aside to what you are asking, but i thought it worth mentioning. Getting higher initiative using acceleration or similar gives some nice advantages.

Doing something like Choose the Threads to see what the best action to take next will be also seems appropriate - maybe having it as a legacy attainment so you could activate it without having to roll dice...

Basically, yes, Time has loads of ways of doing this, most seem to be ruling/perfecting...

Leave a comment:

• werikscs
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Well... cancelling spells is already a reflexive action, it can be done at will regardless of any other considerations of timing. A person could be injured and then immediately will the Hung Spell to end, so is this a case of wanting some option where a person perceives incoming harm before it connects or is damaged lethally but is able to end the spell before falling unconscious? What are the particulars of wanting an option that can respond to harm before some threshold has been passed?

The idea is to notice the event that will injure the target as soon as it starts (assuming the target hasn't seen it coming). Like a sword touching the skin moments before taking an arm off, or a bullet touching the forehead moments before going through the head. But as a last resort, cancel the Hung Spell before the subject falls unconscious. The less the subject is injured, the better it would be.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied

The main ideia is to use Hung Spell (pag 187, Core) with Shifting Sands (pag 189, Core), to create something like Izanagi.
    When the subject is injured in some way, she cancels Hung Spell and Shifting Sands start.

The objective of heightening the subject's 'senses' is to realize that she is being hurt and to be able to cancel Hung Spell before it is too late.

I know I probably could do the same with Fate 2 but I don't have Fate. In our game, we can choose the arcana you want to start with (homebrew).

Well... cancelling spells is already a reflexive action, it can be done at will regardless of any other considerations of timing. A person could be injured and then immediately will the Hung Spell to end, so is this a case of wanting some option where a person perceives incoming harm before it connects or is damaged lethally but is able to end the spell before falling unconscious? What are the particulars of wanting an option that can respond to harm before some threshold has been passed?

Leave a comment:

• werikscs
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

How do you envision that working out in play terms?
    The main ideia is to use Hung Spell (pag 187, Core) with Shifting Sands (pag 189, Core), to create something like Izanagi.
    When the subject is injured in some way, she cancels Hung Spell and Shifting Sands start.

The objective of heightening the subject's 'senses' is to realize that she is being hurt and to be able to cancel Hung Spell before it is too late.

I know I probably could do the same with Fate 2 but I don't have Fate. In our game, we can choose the arcana you want to start with (homebrew).

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Would it be possible to decrease the time needed for the brain to "think" with Time?

The idea is to react more quickly to external events and possibly think faster. Something like what Flash can do. If so, would you have any idea how to do this?
    How do you envision that working out in play terms?

Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    Think there is room for a legacy about embracing one’s mortality and getting the most out of what time they do have? Wanted a thematic opposite to a Prime/Mind Lich.
    I think the Tamers of the Void in Legacies: the Ancient might be like that.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    Think there is room for a legacy about embracing one’s mortality and getting the most out of what time they do have? Wanted a thematic opposite to a Prime/Mind Lich.
    A possible conundrum to a Legacy embracing mortality is that the Psychopomp blocks the way for souls trying to move beyond the Fallen world. So making the most of life probably requires addressing the fear of doom after death.

Regarding Arcana, I think Life and Fate would make for a good combination. Life ensures you are always in peak condition, well fed, fully healed and able to adapt to whatever curveballs an intensely proactive lifestyle throws at you. Fate ensures there are new opportunities, small pleasures and lucky breaks to keep you motivated even in the darkest moments, to make beacons of hope for yourself and others.

Leave a comment:

• TempleBuilder
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X