X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suleri Drals
    started a topic Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

I reopen the thread : (Original author : Archmage Joda)

To restart :

Q1 : Camelot was created by Imperium Rite or Practice ?

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
    Though without homebrew, I suppose we need something like Conditional Duration and Hung Spell to pull it off.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that just means the Sevenfold Oath is taken under Sworn Oaths or a similar Fate spell, which likewise means the variable wording alluded to sees equally variable consequences in the form of the hex breaking the oath applies.
    That makes sense.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Speaking of hexes, do people think it would be valid to combine other Arcana with Fate to extend some of the possibilities of hexes and boons? Still as things expressed as quirks of bad luck, but maybe with specified vectors or physical effects.
    Like adding Forces to hex someone into fritzing every electronic he comes across? Cool. Though without homebrew, I suppose we need something like Conditional Duration and Hung Spell to pull it off.

Still in the realm of homebrew, but certain Fate-heavy Legacies ought to have workarounds, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Speaking of hexes, do people think it would be valid to combine other Arcana with Fate to extend some of the possibilities of hexes and boons? Still as things expressed as quirks of bad luck, but maybe with specified vectors or physical effects.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Maybe not so simple a question, but anyways:

Has anybody who played with the Tremere came across the 'magical consequences' backing up the Sevenfold Oaths? I don't think the book (NH-NA) detailed what exactly happens if someone breaks them. See, I'm thinking of homebrewing a House that teeters on breaking the seventh one by pretending they're keeping the sixth one...
    I'm reasonably certain that just means the Sevenfold Oath is taken under Sworn Oaths or a similar Fate spell, which likewise means the variable wording alluded to sees equally variable consequences in the form of the hex breaking the oath applies.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Maybe not so simple a question, but anyways:

Has anybody who played with the Tremere came across the 'magical consequences' backing up the Sevenfold Oaths? I don't think the book (NH-NA) detailed what exactly happens if someone breaks them. See, I'm thinking of homebrewing a House that teeters on breaking the seventh one by pretending they're keeping the sixth one...
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; Yesterday, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Hmm… maybe Scale limits the size of the targetable shadow then?
    I wouldn't think there's any maybe about it.

The point of it would be being able to get access to a larger shadow without needing to Reach to cast the spell as sensory; you extend to it with one that is either already touching you (if connection to feet is considered valid) or that you can reach down to touch.

I said aligning oneself before, but Shadow Sculpting would allow one to twist their own shadow into a form that can merge with other ones regardless of angle to light sources. Make it long and thin, maybe a bit mobile.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

…... Shaping does, but I'd find that to be a function of how the shape the matter assumes is a bit secondary to the effect of the spell being causing the matter to have a pliant form.

……
    Mm, good call.

Hmm, now I'm wondering about aligning yourself to ensure that the shadow you cast crosses over with another shadow. Does the combined one count as a single subject?
    Hmm… maybe Scale limits the size of the targetable shadow then?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied

Gut instinct tells me that…
    1) Any object the caster knows how it works. Knives are easy. Pistols, probably not, though your ST may allow a follow-up Skill roll to craft something complex.
    Well, the spell description itself doesn't present any such requirement. Nor do comparable spells such as Platonic Form and Ex Nihilo. Shaping does, but I'd find that to be a function of how the shape the matter assumes is a bit secondary to the effect of the spell being causing the matter to have a pliant form.

That leaves it to the observer to rule on, and my observation would be inclined in a direction away from stating that people with greater education in technical subjects get a leg up on the use of magic. I would think that what you want to make is contingent on how you can incorporate the desired result into an imago, and while a given individual can probably use technical knowledge there, I think it can be sufficient to just have perceptual familiarity to do so.

Originally posted by 21C Hermit
    2) You can only target shadows in your Range, so crafting shadows from a distance shouldn’t be done without sensory range.
    Hmm, now I'm wondering about aligning yourself to ensure that the shadow you cast crosses over with another shadow. Does the combined one count as a single subject?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hyuse View Post
    There is a spell that really speaks to me: Shadow Crafting. Can you make any object you want?
    Yes, with the caveat that the damage modifier/equipment bonus/Armor rating means it's not going to be an extremely good specimen of whatever object it is.

Can you make objects appear at a distance?
    With Advanced/Sensory Range or a successful Aimed Spell roll, yes.

Can you make a spike and impale someone with it?
    You can make a spike, which can be used as a weapon or, with Reach, a stage hazard (per the Creative Thaumaturgy guidelines on making Environmental Tilts) on which someone could be impaled with enough damage done to impale them normally.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Hyuse View Post
    Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time caller. I have finally started playing in my first Mage game. While we have be taking it slow and most of our play sessions are explaining thing and seeing how things work in a "classroom" setting, I have a lot of questions on spells and what you can do with them. I am a Moros and I have Death 3. There is a spell that really speaks to me: Shadow Crafting. Can you make any object you want? Can you make objects appear at a distance? Can you make a spike and impale someone with it?
    Gut instinct tells me that…
    1) Any object the caster knows how it works. Knives are easy. Pistols, probably not, though your ST may allow a follow-up Skill roll to craft something complex. Or just extra Reach.
    2) You can only target shadows in your Range, so crafting shadows from a distance shouldn’t be done without sensory range.
    3) This looks like a separate attack roll, not a function of the spell itself. Or just extra Reach.

Leave a comment:

• Hyuse
    replied
    Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time caller. I have finally started playing in my first Mage game. While we have be taking it slow and most of our play sessions are explaining thing and seeing how things work in a "classroom" setting, I have a lot of questions on spells and what you can do with them. I am a Moros and I have Death 3. There is a spell that really speaks to me: Shadow Crafting. Can you make any object you want? Can you make objects appear at a distance? Can you make a spike and impale someone with it?

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Awesome! Time to start brewing up ideas....

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
    I have an absolutely crazy idea, and thought I’d consult people here before doing any writing.

Is it possible for a single location to be a Locus, a Hallow, a Verge, an Aedes and a Manteion simultaneously?
    Signs of Sorcery outright describes stacking multiple types of those locations together. Doesn't use Locus in its specific wording, but also mentions ley line Nodes and passages to Emanations. The intention is very much that they can be customized by virtue of not being exclusive. Just suggests that there should be a common theme weaving them together.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    I have an absolutely crazy idea, and thought I’d consult people here before doing any writing.

Is it possible for a single location to be a Locus, a Hallow, a Verge, an Aedes and a Manteion simultaneously?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X