X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suleri Drals
    started a topic Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

Ask a simple question, Awakened edition

I reopen the thread : (Original author : Archmage Joda)

To restart :

Q1 : Camelot was created by Imperium Rite or Practice ?

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Yelesom View Post
    Sure. The memories are someone else's.
    Couldn't a Mastigos steal their memories though?
    Ah, well if you’re stealing someone else’s memories then yes, they’d have Sympathy to their originator. I imagine it would fade fast though as the person who used to have them and the memory itself would quickly disassociate. Though if the subject knew they’d lost memories that might be enough to make the Sympathy last longer.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I also want to add that sympathetic connections are built from (meaningful) interactions. A memory doesn't actually interact with anyone other than the memory's creator, its dream actors (if accessed through the Oneiros) and anyone who'd visit the memory. Dream actors are part of the memory (should be connected sympathy) but also reset whenever the memory is done playing so they're not really relevant, while visitors usually don't have any meaningful enough interactions with the memory to form more than the lowest and most fleeting of sympathetic connections; possibly also reset the next time the memory resets since the memory would shed any changes imposed on it with its reset unless additional magic is used.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    Is there a page spread write up of either the Mammon or Pantechicon ministries anywhere? I vaguely recall something like that in 1st ed but can't remember where. I'll be sad if it was just a dream.
    Mammon gets a fair amount of space in Reign of the Exarchs. That's the closest thing I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• Yelesom
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Sympathetic connections have a subtle impact on the way events unfold in the world and are generally founded on circumstances more concrete than the purely mental dimension. Unless you're dealing with the residents of a Temenotic neighborhood, no amount of brainwashing is going to cause a transplanted vacation in Paris to actually make it easier for someone to get to Paris again.
    Ah. Alrighty.
    Seems I'll have to think of a different way to go Ramona Flowers with someone's mind.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    How so?
    Sympathetic connections have a subtle impact on the way events unfold in the world and are generally founded on circumstances more concrete than the purely mental dimension. Unless you're dealing with the residents of a Temenotic neighborhood, no amount of brainwashing is going to cause a transplanted vacation in Paris to actually make it easier for someone to get to Paris again.

Leave a comment:

• Yelesom
    replied
    Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
    Memories granting sympathetic connections to anyone but the person that created them would have setting-changing effects.
    How so?

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
    You might be able to turn them into a Sympathetic Representation Yantra, but you'd need to have them out of your head to do so, and you would still need Sympathy to the subject you want to effect. Other than that, no, because those are the memories of the person who created them, no one else's, and under normal circumstances no one else even has access to them.
    Sure. The memories are someone else's.
    Couldn't a Mastigos steal their memories though?

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Is there a page spread write up of either the Mammon or Pantechicon ministries anywhere? I vaguely recall something like that in 1st ed but can't remember where. I'll be sad if it was just a dream.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Nothing more?
    You might be able to turn them into a Sympathetic Representation Yantra, but you'd need to have them out of your head to do so, and you would still need Sympathy to the subject you want to effect. Other than that, no, because those are the memories of the person who created them, no one else's, and under normal circumstances no one else even has access to them.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Memories granting sympathetic connections to anyone but the person that created them would have setting-changing effects.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowjim12
    replied
    Yelesom I would argue the existance of a strong connection with the creator of the memory and a number of "fainter" secondary to otjer things (entities, places, moments, concepts) that the memory evokes.

If Joe has a memory of his ex, Anna, then the memory would be connected primarily to Joe (he created the memory) and with a lesser degree to Anna (it is not her memory, but she was instrumental and present in the memory's creation)

On the other hand, memories of Joe with things that were not instrumental in the memory's creation will have only Joe as a sympathetic connection. Ex Joe's memory of a random taxi ride

In game terms I would assign "secondary" sympathy connecting the contents of the memory with the memory itself with strength equal to how much sympathy the contents of the memory had to the memory's creator at the time of creation.

I hope it helped more than it confused you 😛
    Last edited by Shadowjim12; Yesterday, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yelesom
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Memories would have Sympathy to the person that created them.
    Nothing more?

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Do memories have sympathetic ties to their subjects?
    Like if a guy had a memory of a small town in Connecticut,
    or a chick had a fond memory of a music box their friend once owned.
    Do these memories hold ties to their subjects, or is it just the owners of these memories that have the ties?
    Memories would have Sympathy to the person that created them.

Leave a comment:

• Yelesom
    replied
    Do memories have sympathetic ties to their subjects?
    Like if a guy had a memory of a small town in Connecticut,
    or a chick had a fond memory of a music box their friend once owned.
    Do these memories hold ties to their subjects, or is it just the owners of these memories that have the ties?

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew Kaninchen View Post
    About Possession (Mind 4)

Am I right to assume you can possess objects by using this spell? It doesn't specify you can't, and the Possessed Condition expects this.

Another question maybe is, shouldn't Possession talk about multiple subjects instead of allowing only the caster to possess others? The explanation given in the Possessed Condition (superimposition of an ethereal form onto a physical target) seems to indicate it would not be that weird for a Mage to force a subject other them themself to possess another, as a Mage is perfectly capable of Astral Projecting others. There are a few of these spells which seem to work on the Mage alone and I always find that they don't mesh well with the rest of 2E.
    I see no reason you couldn't possess an object.

There are spells in the game that specify the Mage as the subject by default, but there's no reason to assume that the Mage -must- be the subject. So yes, you can cast Possession on someone else. Just make sure your Scale factors are set up accordingly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X