Homebrew Magic System for Sleepwalkers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Magic System for Sleepwalkers

So while my Discord was still fresh, and one of my first members to join - 'Azrabael' was apparently having some issues getting in, said something like the app was cloning him, I asked "What kind of arcana do you need for that?" And being silly, I put

Phone •••

And something occurred to me.

What if there can be something like a 'fallen' arcanum? It could literally be anything. Like Car •• or Snake ••••

Something like this could be a way for people who 'get it' could get some meager shadow of the magic that the awakened wield. I was reminded of the Gutter Magic system that was presented in Hunter the Vigil (the sourcebook about Witches)

Suppose that with proper tutoring, a Sleepwalker can get access to magic in a limited way, using these fallen arcana? Their central power attribute would be something like their ability to even form an imago. While the imago is basically a mage's default and natural bread and butter, it can be the one thing that a sleepwalker struggles to become proficient in. With practice, she can do it, and it solely makes her able to just do a magical casting. But only with the most surface symbols. While an Awakened who touched the Supernal gets the Supernal Arcana, the ten umbrella concepts that arc over the entire tellurian, the sleepwalker must be limited to only the fallen aspects that she can understand. Essentially, take any Platonian symbol and make that an 'arcanum' that she can become proficient in, only affecting things in those purviews.

So in sum: A sleepwalker - with training under the wing of an Awakened mentor, can be taught how to strive to make a crude imago, to cast a spell under the purview of a shallow symbol, like Computer, Door, or Jewelry.

Such magic is probably highly situational, but it's a start.

My MtAw 2e Discord:
    https://discord.gg/ey9C9DM
    (maybe more Onyx games in the future)

So, basically a mortal with Influences?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

While nothing stops you from houseruling this into your game... that is really not how sleepwalkers or magic works in awakening. If you want to give sleepwalkers supernatural powers I personally recommend giving them any of the established supernatural merits (second sight from 1e also has a lot in that regard) or using proximi, which are actually touched by the supernal.

If you want to give mortals influences you can do that via spirits.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Why would you not just use Gutter Magic?

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
          Why would you not just use Gutter Magic?
          Not having Witch Finders handy? Or wanting something slightly different than what it does, maybe?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I cribbed pieces of Ars Magica and Unknown Armies for my own method of creating Mortal Sorcerors, to flesh out my Miami Pentacle Consilium. Posited it as being a Lowercase magic; one where these sorcerors force the natural, diluted magic in their environment into shape through ingredients, rituals, and various scientific/philosophical principles. It was quite the labor of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiecakes View Post
              It was quite the labor of love.
              This. Because some of us love creating. It's what draws us to these kinds of games in the first place.

My MtAw 2e Discord:
              https://discord.gg/ey9C9DM
              (maybe more Onyx games in the future)

Comment

Please delete this post
                Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I cribbed pieces of Ars Magica and Unknown Armies for my own method of creating Mortal Sorcerors, to flesh out my Miami Pentacle Consilium. Posited it as being a Lowercase magic; one where these sorcerors force the natural, diluted magic in their environment into shape through ingredients, rituals, and various scientific/philosophical principles. It was quite the labor of love.
                  Do you still have It somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

Do you still have It somewhere?
                    It's mostly mental notes, as I adjusted it recently to reduce its craziness.(gave it the spell creation of Ars Magica. Bad idea.)Now it's more like UA, with Postmodern Magick being given out through Classical Sorcery, like a Brakebills-esque institution, or Gutter witches fighting and screwing for scraps. I should write it down one day.

Comment

It's mostly mental notes, as I adjusted it recently to reduce its craziness.(gave it the spell creation of Ars Magica. Bad idea.)Now it's more like UA, with Postmodern Magick being given out through Classical Sorcery, like a Brakebills-esque institution, or Gutter witches fighting and screwing for scraps. I should write it down one day.

As a UA fan, I hope to read it someday. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X