No announcement yet.

[Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition Actual Play] Boston Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your patience, friends. Here we have the next chunk of twists and turns! Thrills, chills, kills...the ride continues! Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x60...4uZmJqGE8/view

Comment

Well, that's embarrassing. Double posting! I guess I was really excited.
      Last edited by swagdog; 03-29-2018, 01:31 PM. Reason: The forum held a gun to my head and made me post twice.

Comment

And I was about to go to sleep, too....

Comment

Apart from the lack of using past tense in a freaking story, your latest addition is INCREDIBLE! I'm eating this up like it's freshly baked bread with butter and an extra large helping of honey on top. MMMMMM!!! EXQUISITE!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
            Apart from the lack of using past tense in a freaking story, your latest addition is INCREDIBLE! I'm eating this up like it's freshly baked bread with butter and an extra large helping of honey on top. MMMMMM!!! EXQUISITE!
            While rare, stories can be written in present tense Otherwise, I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. This was amazing to read and I can't wait to see how it continues.

Comment

Thank you for the incredible support, friends! We're really happy and fortunate to be able to continue to produce this AP in the format that it is. To peel back the curtain just a smidgen, since everything we write is in real time, it felt very natural for us to write in the present tense. I wouldn't say it was a conscious choice for us - believe it or not, there were a fair amount of decisions and choices that were simply intuited by our troupe, and it's just been our luck that it's come out (mostly) readable! Well - luck doesn't have everything to do with it. Superior editing from TrafficHazard and a careful literary thru-line from our ST ensure that it is presented in a format that can be enjoyed. New developments will be coming sooner or later! For now, though, if you've got input, questions, concerns, curiosities, or just want to chat, let us know!

Comment

Just caught up. This is fantastic. As a ST planning a campaign to start soon, I wish I knew how much is ST pre-planning and how much is spontaneous. :-) Maybe we'll find out eventually.

Keep it up, folks! Love it!

Comment

There's a fair bit of planning, I've spent many a slow hour pondering the interactions of characters and how to proceed in the game.
                  Planning is also only advantaged by asking your players what they want to do, and what they want in general.
                  From there you can play into, or subvert their expectations for characters and events.

But even given all that preparation, this is Mage, where players have significant capacity to subvert expectations, so you've got to stay flexible.
                  I like to keep my ideas floating around, so if something's not going to work, you throw it out and choose something else.

You can also throw in something that you didn't plan for, but which suits the kind of scene you're in.
                  Like a certain Seer deciding to desperately try and take out an immediate rival by getting murdery.

It helps when you have players as invested as TrafficHazard, CoolStory, and swagdog are.
                  Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I'd like to thank you for putting this together. Personally, one of the greatest challenges to CofD games is "how is this done right?" And Mage is a sterling example of a high hurdle in that area. It's just so dense!

So seeing it played "in action" is super-helpful. Also much appreciated is how all of the characters are trying to get by with as much civility and decorum as possible, without resorting to murder or violation or bodily harm as their first prop for stressful situations. Well.. except for that one time.

This makes the play seem more natural, in that the vast majority of the people we interact with wouldn't seriously dream of violent harm to solve their problems, even if they could through reality-bending magic.

Cheers, and keep at it!
                    --Khanwulf

Comment

I love this actual play ! I think my favourite boy is House
                      By the way i'm curious to know how did you handle the attainement for the eyes of Ain soph ? Can Lucius automaticaly detect lies ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emerick View Post
                        I love this actual play ! I think my favourite boy is House
                        By the way i'm curious to know how did you handle the attainement for the eyes of Ain soph ? Can Lucius automaticaly detect lies ?
                        Oh, I did a full update for the Eyes of Ain Soph. I've done actually quite a few Legacy updates (and I'm currently working on the Keepers of the Covenant).
                        I made them a Prime-only Legacy, due to the 2e changes to the Spirit Arcanum meaning that it's only one aspect of the bountiful 'Fallen' Magics that exist throught the world.

Their first Attainment, the Seeker's Eye thus provides them two abilities.
                        First, they gain a perpetual version of the spell Supernal Vision, whereby all they have to do is spent the turn scrutinizing something, and they get to ask question about its connection to the Supernal, equal to their dots in Prime. However we didn't really think that was enough, given that that can easily be done with a Prime 1 spell, with no risk of Paradox, Quiescence, or Acts of Hubris.
                        So second, we tacked on a persistent Pierce Deception effect. Such that whenever a Seeker is lied to, they will know. Sure they don't know what the 'truth' is, but they know something is fishy, and has tried to pollute the Fallen with a little more deception and falsehood.

This of course, means that advanced members of the Eyes of Ain Soph might get a bit world-weary.
                        All Mages have to deal with the constant pressure of knowing secrets the world cannot.
                        However the Eyes, one and all, have to deal with the constant barrage of the little lies which the world tells every day.

Their second Attainment grants them a persistent veil for all Supernatural effects currently on, or affecting their person, as well as imposing a base Withstand on all spells seeking to affect them, of 2 (3 at Prime 4).

Basically, the first two Attainments are tools that every Prime Mage will want to have, but will have to worry about maintaining, or using spell control for.
                        The Eyes, in their devotion to the root of Magic, learn to weave those protections and tools into their very Gnosis.

Comment

It's very interesting, i'm trying to come up with a prime legacy for my mage and i have some trouble with the attainements the base guidelines isn't really usefull and i like that your seeker have some abilities always on instead of having to acrivate them again and again

Comment

Originally posted by Emerick View Post
                            It's very interesting, i'm trying to come up with a prime legacy for my mage and i have some trouble with the attainements the base guidelines isn't really usefull and i like that your seeker have some abilities always on instead of having to acrivate them again and again
                            Especially for Duration Primary attainments the problem of reactivation decreases exponentially as dots in arcana increase.

Comment

We will have some new content for you soon, friends! The Boston Council! A summoning! Clandestine revelations! Halfway subtle intrigue! And a fight you might have guessed was coming...

Comment

I hope House is okay D: ! He's probably okay, the House always wins after all !

Comment

Working...
                                X