Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Awakening be predicted with magic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
    So is almost as if (or just is) that awakenings also cause Aponeia, as happens with archmasters though to a much lesser degree since it seems it only affects your potential future not your past retroactively.
    Makes sense if you think about it. Archmasters have to impose a filter bubble on the Supernal to keep themselves from being obliterated by it when doing a Supernal working, and the Watchtowers are basically just a bigger version of that which can be accessed by soon-to-be former Sleepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
      So is almost as if (or just is) that awakenings also cause Aponeia, as happens with archmasters though to a much lesser degree since it seems it only affects your potential future not your past retroactively.
      Maybe this is what metamorphic Awakenings are all about?
      http://theonyxpath.com/signs-of-sorc...n-development/

Comment

In my headcanon, Awakenings are acts of Imperium by the Rank 10 entity known as The Watchtowers.

Comment

Isn't it semi-vaguely-sorta-canonical that the Watchtowers are the Cintamanis of the Oracles?

Comment

Originally posted by projectmoon View Post
            Isn't it semi-vaguely-sorta-canonical that the Watchtowers are the Cintamanis of the Oracles?
            They might be, if the Oracles are real.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Sane View Post
              In my headcanon, Awakenings are acts of Imperium by the Rank 10 entity known as The Watchtowers.

That's not headcanon. They are.

(The Watchtowers are Talismans - extrusions of some other higher power that manifest in the Supernal and form the Lustrums around Awakenings-in-progress so new mages don't get obliterated by being in the Supernal. Which raises the question - extrusions of what? Even if nothing else about them is real, many archmasters regard "Oracle" as meaning "whoever it was that created the Paths")

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

I think "extrusions FROM what" is more intriguing to me than "extrusions OF what". Are Talismans produced by other Supernal entities? Or do they come from outside, like an Archmaster's Lustrum?

Comment

A Talisman is like an Ochemata, but also like an Artifact - it's a magic item that is also a subsoul of whoever made it.

Or kinda like the One Ring.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

One Tower to rule them all, One Tower to find them; One Tower to Awaken them all
                    and to the Supernal bind them.*

* Translated from High Speech inscribed on a small toroidal formation of unknown material in lines of temperature approximately measured at 10^29 Kelvin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

That's not headcanon. They are.

(The Watchtowers are Talismans - extrusions of some other higher power that manifest in the Supernal and form the Lustrums around Awakenings-in-progress so new mages don't get obliterated by being in the Supernal. Which raises the question - extrusions of what? )
                      Why, of the Principle, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                        One Tower to rule them all, One Tower to find them; One Tower to Awaken them all and to the Supernal bind them.
                        This message has been approved by the Tremere council.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Maybe extrusions of Annunaki, after all Mages can't create paradox if they get destroyed during awakenings.

I think it'd be a great twist, the Oracles are Annunaki and the Watch Towers are effectly the Supernal reflection of the Ziggurats, not the other way around.

It means if discovered that all Mages are Scelusi, without realizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                            Maybe extrusions of Annunaki, after all Mages can't create paradox if they get destroyed during awakenings.

I think it'd be a great twist, the Oracles are Annunaki and the Watch Towers are effectly the Supernal reflection of the Ziggurats, not the other way around.

It means if discovered that all Mages are Scelusi, without realizing it.
                            Come to think of it, the Greek Mythos in To The Strongest suggests that to awaken a mage has to gain assistance from the 'Titans', beings that live in the Abyss.

Comment

Even if you can't predict Awakenings, you can still time travel into the past knowing who will awaken the next day, week, year, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                                (The Watchtowers are Talismans - extrusions of some other higher power that manifest in the Supernal and form the Lustrums around Awakenings-in-progress so new mages don't get obliterated by being in the Supernal.
                                So it sounds like Watchtowers are an external force (which we knew, I suppose) that interfere with Awakenings to make them safer for the person Awakening, which leads me to wonder, "What happens to an 'unprotected' Awakening?"

Is the 'default' state of Awakening without Watchtower interference just that everyone is a Pathless Banisher? I mean, I'm sure the answer would be more complicated than that anyway, if it were the case. Or just maybe Awakenings wouldn't happen without the Watchtowers anyway. It does give me an image of Mages in the Sundered World Era where there's some turning point of Mages gaining a Path and the Wisdom trait, although I don't know when it would happen since time is kinda still rebuilding itself in that Era.

Comment

Working...
                                X