Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Stone Absorption

Hey everyone,

So, I was sitting around thinking about soul stones from Mage the Awakening and got to wondering about whether or not it would be possible to absorb soul stones from another mage into your own soul if say you stumbled across a dead mage's soul stone. We know that demesne can be crafted from them and from the Tremere we know there are other uses to increase your lifespan and so forth, but what about patterning the soul stone into your own soul?

Would this be possible? What would happen if it was possible? I also got to thinking about a thread sometime back where someone mentioned a family always produced another generation of mages by implanting a soul stone into their unborn baby.

I have created a few stipulations onto soul stone absorption into my House Rules, below are the rules list for absorbing a soul stone from a different Path:
    #1. You can't pattern a soul stone into your soul unless you are missing Gnosis potential to begin with since your soul is at 100%
    #2. If you absorb the soul stone from a different path you gain the ability to use a 3rd Arcanum as a Ruling Arcana from the path of the soul stone absorbed, but you can't make another soul stone using your soul as it has been too heavily modified
    #3. You can't take a Legacy due to your soul having already been heavily modified
    #4. Your nimbus becomes tainted by the nimbus of the original soul stone, this could be good or bad.
    #5. You regain a point of Gnosis potential
    #6. If you already possess a Legacy the attainments are suppressed as your soul is readjusted to incorporate the new soul stone

Below are the modifications if you absorb a soul stone from the same Path:
    #1. You can't pattern a soul stone into your soul unless you are missing Gnosis potential to begin with since your soul is at 100%
    #2. Your nimbus becomes tainted by the nimbus of the original soul stone, this could be good or bad.
    #3. You regain a point of Gnosis potential

Absorbing a Soul Stone would be just as bad as creating one, being a Wisdom sin to Enlightened and Understanding. Performing the absorption requires a Death 4 spell to pattern the soul stone into your original soul and is Withstood by Resolve.

Let me know what you think about these modifications.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Taldorblackfire; 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

I’d say your legacy should be suppressed not lost.

Comment

I think the effects on the mage's Legacy is a bit extreme, considering that not even soul loss affects Legacies until it makes the mage's Gnosis drop so low they no longer meet the Attainment's prerequisite.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

These are valid points, I myself had considered the punishment to Legacies may be a bit severe. I shall make this change to suppressed.

Comment

Oh, I wasn’t worried about losing your legacy as a punishment, I was thinking it made too convenient an escape clause from a legacy you wish you hadn’t joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
            Oh, I wasn’t worried about losing your legacy as a punishment, I was thinking it made too convenient an escape clause from a legacy you wish you hadn’t joined.
            Very true, but there would be an technically another way to go about that. However, it would be a quicker/safer way I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Taldorblackfire View Post
              a family always produced another generation of mages by implanting a soul stone into their unborn baby.
              Sooo... making Mages (or at least Proximi) by implanting Soul Stones into Sleepers? Interesting. Also getting the image of a monster (or Deviant) made from infusing someone with multiple Soul Stones.

Another idea: What about creating a Mage-equivalent Talisman (like in Mummy: the Curse) out of a Soul Stone? They almost are already, but what about giving them a bit more power, or restoring the Gnosis (potential) loss while it is held.
              (Cue Lich-Mage with the Shadow Name Mairon who exploits the above ruling to craft 9+1 Soul Stone rings to contain their power)
              Last edited by Vent0; 01-12-2018, 08:11 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
              X