Recomended books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomended books

Apart from the core, are there any must have books for mage? Anything you wouldn't play without?

I heartily endorse Left Hand Path, Astral Realms, Intruders, and the six Order books.

Second edition makes Magical Traditions, Tome of the Watchtowers, and Tome of the Mysteries less useful, as they're heavy on setting elements that are defunct/downplayed or very mechanical and have/are being superseded.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Oh, and people will tell you to get Imperial Mysteries. Don't - at first. Its rules *and* certain setting elements are incompatible with second ed, and it's confusing unless you're really into the gameline and know your metaphysics.

EDIT: And I can say that, 'cos I wrote it.

Comment

Not really, that's what the corebook is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
          I heartily endorse Left Hand Path, Astral Realms, Intruders, and the six Order books.

Second edition makes Magical Traditions, Tome of the Watchtowers, and Tome of the Mysteries less useful, as they're heavy on setting elements that are defunct/downplayed or very mechanical and have/are being superseded.
          Is the Free Council order book still that valid? They are my least favourite order so i havent actually read the 2e write up but from what i can tell they are the most changed between editions (apart from the tremere once being a part of the diamond orders?)

Agree on all of those books, would maybe add the blue book of spirits/book of the dead until the fallen realms book is out? Still 1e but they helped me wrap my head around the underworld/spirit realm.

Comment

Originally posted by totalgit View Post

Is the Free Council order book still that valid? They are my least favourite order so i havent actually read the 2e write up but from what i can tell they are the most changed between editions (apart from the tremere once being a part of the diamond orders?)

Agree on all of those books, would maybe add the blue book of spirits/book of the dead until the fallen realms book is out? Still 1e but they helped me wrap my head around the underworld/spirit realm.
            By 'Fallen Realms' you mean The Fallen World Chronicle ?

Comment

I think they mean Fallen Worlds, the upcoming Shadow, Underworld, Lower Depths, etc book for 2e.

And sure, yeah, Book of Spirits will tide you until then for the Shadow, but the Underworld is quite different in 2e, so not Book of the Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                I think they mean Fallen Worlds, the upcoming Shadow, Underworld, Lower Depths, etc book for 2e.

And sure, yeah, Book of Spirits will tide you until then for the Shadow, but the Underworld is quite different in 2e, so not Book of the Dead
                Well, if you want to explore the Underworld before Fallen Worlds or GtSE 2e are released you're stuck with the first edition version, in which case Book of the Dead is a good resource.

But you really piqued my interest. In what ways does the Underworld differ between editions? I haven't seen any real changes yet. Only mentions about Chthonians and Reapers. And technically The Sundered World, but that applies only to that time period.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Yeh sorry meant fallen world's.

Comment

The Underworld was heavily redesigned for Geist 2e. The very broad details (tunnels, rivers, Dominions, Kerberoi) remain the same, but it has organizational, cosmetic, metaphysical, and factional changes throughout.

Comment

Oh? Any chance of getting a preview of that after Haunts & Keys/Synergy?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

He's not the one in charge of Geist's previews so he wouldn't really be the one to ask. Also, the Underworld was a topic choice but it lost to Sin-eaters, the very recently posted blog, so I don't think it'll come up again for a bit.

I believe it's been implied that it's almost a sort of ghost-prison, and that Reapers are its ghastly wardens or bounty hunters that come to pull ghosts into it. I could be so way far off, though.

Comment

I'd recommend, in order:

Astral Realms
                          Intruders: Encounters from the Abyss
                          The order books in the order you least understand them, though with your favorite first.
                          Tome of the Mysteries (Below order books for 2e)
                          Left Hand Path
                          And, maybe:
                          Tome of the Watchtowers

Imperial Mysteries is a fine book, but I don't put it anywhere on the list. Basically, don't buy Imperial Mysteries until you specifically want to buy it. It's essentially a different game and you can play Awakening, and play well, without it, indefinitely.

As to other resources, if you want to get a handle on (at least 1ed's vision) Astral, another good read is Jung's Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious. Some classical Greek philosophy is probably less in order than Theosophy, actually, but inspiration can be harvested from both.
                          Last edited by thenate; 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Imperial Mysteries is my favorite MtA book beside Core 2e.
                            Since it's so outdated, I wish we had another book about Archmages that fit with 2e... *hint hint*

Comment

That would probably the last book to be in line for second edition, though.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
                              X