Crossover Legacies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover Legacies

In the spirit of the upcoming Contagion Chronicles, this topic is dedicated to Legacies crafted in response to Mysteries involving non-Mage phenomena — specifically phenomena derived from other gamelines.

Vampire
    I am not going to include the Tremere Liches because I no longer consider them to “merely” be a Legacy after their development in Left-Hand Path. Instead, I'd like to consider two new Legacies: a Thyrsus-based Legacy inspired by Crúac with a heavy “blood is life” theme, and an Obrimos-based Legacy inspired by Theban Sorcery which emphasizes a religious asceticism. I'm also thinking of a Moros-based Legacy that seeks to emulate what they consider desirable aspects of the vampiric condition while avoiding the more troublesome aspects — a sort of inversion of the Ordo Dracul.

Werewolf
    Here, the Legacy I want to consider involves taking on a Totem to better interact with the Shadow. The idea is that a member of this Thyrsus-based Legacy would feel at home in a Werewolf Pack by adopting the Pack Totem as her own (though her role in the Pack would probably be closer to the Wolf-Blooded than to the Uratha).

Promethean
    A Moros-based Legacy of Alchemists dedicated to studying Pyros in all its manifestations. Attainments include several protections against some of the nasty side-effects of Pyros, such as Disquiet. Search for the “Sons of the Aether” for a 1e Legacy built around a similar theme.

Changeling
    An Acanthus-based Legacy that focuses on surviving and exploring the Hedge.

Geist
    A Moros-based Legacy of “Underworld spelunkers”.

Mummy
    A set of five Legacies, one per Path, drawing on the five Pillars of the soul in Mummy's metaphysics. Each is also associated with a particular type of Relic (amulets, effigies, regia, texts, and uter): the Ren Legacy is associated with texts and the Sheut Legacy is associated with uter; I'm not sure off the top of my head about the other three.

Demon
    A Mastigos-based techgnostic Legacy devoted to investigating the God-Machine. Possibly also a Left-Handed Obrimos-based “Sons of the Aether” techgnostic Legacy that tends to be on the side of the Angels.

Beast
    A Mastigos-based Legacy of psychonauts dedicated to exploring the Astral Realms in general, and the Primordial Dream in particular. They also take particular interest in their daimons, their personal astral guides from their Oneiroi. Being Mastigos, these daimons tend to be rather monstrous.

I don't have anything about Hunter or Deviant at this time: hunters don't have a metaphysics of their own to draw from, and Deviant isn't out yet.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. What are yours?
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Thyrsus-based Legacy inspired by Crúac with a heavy “blood is life” theme
    Perhaps they understand how history, experience, and turns of the spirit are echoed in a person's blood - they can tell a lot about you from the taste of it.

A set of five Legacies, one per Path, drawing on the five Pillars of the soul in Mummy's metaphysics. Each is also associated with a particular type of Relic (amulets, effigies, regia, texts, and uter): the Ren Legacy is associated with texts and the Sheut Legacy is associated with uter; I'm not sure off the top of my head about the other three.
    I'd recommend making Ba the Text (they're the action-oriented, kingly, lead-from-the-front ones, who more than all the others make decrees). Ren as Effigies (the name encapsulates the complete being, and teaches you to sculpt lesser beings or their representatives in turn), Ka as Regia (concerned with the inner nature that matters most), and Ba as Amulets (taking on passions as they take on adornments).

I don't have anything about Hunter or Deviant at this time: hunters don't have a metaphysics of their own to draw from, and Deviant isn't out yet.
    Deviants are defined by their broken souls, which probably makes them something very counter-intuitive for a Legacy to emulate.I could see them inspiring a Legacy devoted to spiritual healing.

Hunters have something most people don't: the capcity to look at the supernatural world and not blink. Their souls are strong, even if their minds and bodies do not follow. Studying that could lead to a Legacy based around tempering the spirit.

Comment

For vampires; an Acanthus Legacy based on the curses and dooms in way of the Dampyr and Strix; a Mastigos Legacy based on exploring the blood bond and blood sympathy in general.

No thoughts yet on the others...

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Werewolves and Katsinam Tsuukya kind of go hand in hand already. KT develop a close metaphysical relationship with a particular form of spirit already and nothing is stopping that from being a totem to a werewolf pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
          Werewolves and Katsinam Tsuukya kind of go hand in hand already. KT develop a close metaphysical relationship with a particular form of spirit already and nothing is stopping that from being a totem to a werewolf pack.
          Now that you mention it, so do vampires and Tamers of Blood.

Recently I started envisioning Timori as something Beast-related, though it was more in the vein of the Tremere and thus likely not something this thread needs.

Comment

So are these fully Mage, but "inspired by" the splat in question, or Legacies that integrate the gameline's mechanics? I think 21C Hermit made/converted a Legacy that used Beast Nightmares as a secondary Attainment benefit, for example. An Alchemist one might use and store Pyros (similar to how Spirit manipulates Essence). The Acanthus/Changeling one could leverage Fate's Oaths interaction to do Sealings, and such, or grant access to Goblin Contracts. The Mastigos/Demon one could leverage Space's "connections" aspects to interface with Pacts.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              So are these fully Mage, but "inspired by" the splat in question, or Legacies that integrate the gameline's mechanics? I think 21C Hermit made/converted a Legacy that used Beast Nightmares as a secondary Attainment benefit, for example. An Alchemist one might use and store Pyros (similar to how Spirit manipulates Essence). The Acanthus/Changeling one could leverage Fate's Oaths interaction to do Sealings, and such, or grant access to Goblin Contracts. The Mastigos/Demon one could leverage Space's "connections" aspects to interface with Pacts.
              Yup. I just gave the Unforgotten Scions a homebrew Nightmare and the Relentless Hunter Atavism when I converted them to 2E. But that was more because their patron, the Unforgotten, basically screamed Beast even back in 1E. (And because I found replicating their memory-searing Attainment easier and more fitting as a Nightmare than a Mind spell)

EDIT: For a Werewolf Legacy, how about a Mastigos one that explores the lycanthropes’ internal rage and external fear?
              Last edited by 21C Hermit; 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                It's OK to interface with the other game's mechanics; for instance, the Promethean one includes Attainments designed to mitigate the Disquiet and Wasteland problems that the Created inflict by their presence.

Comment

Throwing around a few more ideas, on Werewolf and Promethean, some overlapping or contrasting with the above:

Acanthus Legacy who manipulate Resonance as a means of affecting destiny (Spirit),
                  Mastigos Legacy who internalize Kuruth to emulate Berserkers (Mind),
                  Moros Legacy who enact the principle of change upon their own bodies (Life),
                  Obrimos Legacy who integrate themselves into the spiritual hierarchy, especially on the totem pole (Spirit),
                  Thyrsus Legacy who explore the pack bond (Space? Mind?),

Acanthus Legacy who are fascinated about the Pilgrimage and Elpis (Fate),
                  Mastigos Legacy who explore their own Torment and fhat of others (Mind),
                  Moros Legacy who obsess over reanimation of dead bodies (Death? Life?),
                  Obrimos Legacy who integrate Pyros to Supernal magic (Prime),
                  Thyrsus Legacy who study the effects of Disquiet upon communities (Mind)

Comment

The Legacy that explores the effects of Blood Bonds and Blood Sympathy could have a lot to delve into, given the similarities between the sympathies of Supernal magic and the "magic" of Vitae/The Blood. 21C Hermit mentioned this but I wanted to call it out further.

You could build a Legacy around exploring just exactly what vampirism actually is--and arriving at a variety of conclusions/practical effects along the way, though Attainments. Ultimately the appeal of the vampire is that they are more loosely tied to Time (not aging and dying so directly), so any Mage who feels the fear and drag of natural death could be drawn to deciphering them toward a formation of his own soul that sidesteps man's fated end.

Obviously the left-handed Tremere Reapers arrive at a means to accomplish this, but the how in CofD is different from vampires and there is still room for a Legacy/faction/cult that goes a different way or takes things "further"--as the Tremere of the WoD accidentally ended up doing.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                    X