Help with an Abyssal Manifestation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an Abyssal Manifestation

So last night, during a combat scene in Mage 1E, we had a paradox go off with 13 successes. The caster was a Mastigos and description wise I had the entire scene begin melting like overheated wax with a black starless void appearing from behind the walls of the building they were in as it melted away. At the same time they began losing their senses of self and identity needing to roll Res + Com to maintain enough sense of self to continue fleeing. They were in a pocket realm that had an old abandoned sanctum in it and, after several minutes of screaming and flight, they found themselves outside of the sanctum.

So, my question is, do folks have any interesting ideas of what could have come through as an anti-Mastigos Abyssal. I’ve got a couple potential ideas, but since this is likely to end up an antagonist for a hunk of this chronicle, I’d like to hear others folks thoughts too.

Well... looks like what you’ve got is pretty solid. The Mastigos Path is about connection for both better and worse, so things both physical and non-physical melting and sloughing off, flaying the integrity of connections between those things and leaving everything broken and lonely seem quite fitting.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I've suggested before a monster that hunts (and hunts through) Sympathetic Links, so maybe something like that? It manifests as people (and things) stop "connecting", and eventually makes everyone related to a person disappear. Like an Oblivion Virus infecting (and annihilating) everyone who knows Kevin Bacon.

Bonus: if they don't feel like tackling their mistake directly, there is always the cowards way out of quarantine - eliminate anyone and everything connected to infectees, so nothing remain that could spread the infection.
      Last edited by Vent0; 05-21-2018, 01:05 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Hm, that could be interesting, an infection that travels along sympathetic connections and makes the victim disappear (eating their location in the lie and sense of self) and draining them until they are completely gone from reality. Not a monster to fight precisely, but an infection to quarantine and starve out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gullinbursti View Post
          Hm, that could be interesting, an infection that travels along sympathetic connections and makes the victim disappear (eating their location in the lie and sense of self) and draining them until they are completely gone from reality. Not a monster to fight precisely, but an infection to quarantine and starve out.

Or, both, considering that their presence at its unleashing could be considered a kind of connection. If it gets... hungry... enough it will come after them. Until that point, however, there's a whole reality to devour, is there not?

Comment

Originally posted by Gullinbursti View Post
            Hm, that could be interesting, an infection that travels along sympathetic connections and makes the victim disappear (eating their location in the lie and sense of self) and draining them until they are completely gone from reality.
            And no one really cares that they are gone, either. It ate their bonds first before removing them from "somewhere".

If you want to get heroic/martyring/epic, they could try to undo it (and return its victims) by letting it "eat" them, dropping them into its self-contained Abyssal Emanation Realm (or the Abyss, itself). From there, they could try and undo its "core" or something.

Even in the event the PCs are successful in the above scenario, you could have follow-up "fun" by scrambling everythings' "regurgitated" Sympathetic Connections.
            "Wait, I'm married to who, now?"

Comment

The Mastigos path is the path of scourging. The idea is about conquering one's weakness be it by embracing it or denying it. My idea would an entity that reignites old mental scars, the ones a person has already dealt with. Making it so that you never came to terms with your unrequited love or that you never forgave your father for not coming to your birthday when you were 9. And you feel those harder than ever. Perhaps as a kid you had a freight of heights that you conquered by climbing the highest climbing wall on the playground. Now it comes back a hundred times so and even standing on a stoll makes you cry in terror.

Comment

An abyssal critter could actually dissolve the distinction between sympathetic ties. Picture an invasion that radiates outward along sympathy (Consider the nimbus rules) and those affected have memories and emotions from the others flit in and out of their minds. The affected might slip into the astral realms and back without warning, as well. As these boundaries collapse, the rate shifts from sporadic to frequent to constant. At lower levels this would tend to bring the affected people closer together.

The abyssal grows the more souls are affected as their minds are aggregated. It becomes increasingly difficult to target the abyssal without targeting the affected and the group as a whole becomes almost indistinguishable via magic.

It would likely leave the mage that brought it in alone, and might even target enemies (following antipathy to choose the target... or targets).
                Last edited by thenate; 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Tell me, young magus, have you ever heard of the Rag Collector ? No, I suppose your mentor wouldn't mention it,
                  its the kind of being that makes Mastigos awaken at night, weeping and screaming.

The Rag Collector has but one goal: to kill all your symphatetic connections, starting with the weakest ones. It comes to them garbed as someone they fear,
                  such as a movie monster, a psychopath, a person they killed, etc. Instantly they feel their own skin "unsowing", their bones "kneading" in anticipation, their very marrow becoming tincture. As so they run, desperate for help, but their pleas fall on deaf ears (replicates Incognito presence), the very ground preventing them from even touching anyone (replicates Isolation). He moves slowly, vanishes when you lose sight of him, but he keeps on the chase. And he will catch them, and you will know, oh you will know, for the connection will flare up enough to rouse the peripheral sight.

At that point he will trap them in their own nightmare world. Perhaps a monochrome movie where they are hunted down by the monster, or a surrealistic landscape that shrinks, folding in on itself in a 1000 impossible ways (think the first fight of Dr Strange) or even a locomotive crafted of living beings that glides atop a sea of acid. And then the torment begins, and when he has extracted every exquisite ounce of agony, he will kill them. Then his head and body will split open, and his true form will emerge: one with your face, old and emaciated, with a mouth that someone attempted to sow shut, with rotten teeth. His eyes oozing a sable sludge, sclera pitch black like midnight. Where the pupils would be, you will find colored blotches, like cave paintings, shifting as his mood does. He will then take his impossibly thin and long fingers, weaving the area into a cloth patch, sowing it into his skin, where the victim's last moments can be seen looping for eternity.

Do not attempt to help them, to follow the connection, getting in is easy, but just like your supernal realm, it demands "a pound of flesh" for the exit to manifest, making you sacrifice a piece of a target's mind to unlock it. That is, unless you find another way.

Negotiating will do no good, he will talk to you as if you were his own grandson, with a soft and gentle tone, insisting he will make you wiser, better, more enlightened, that he wants you to profit from his experience.

And when he is done, when all the rags are collected, he will become even more gaunt as he dissolves into a green mist, returning to the Abyss. Where he stood, you will find a tapestry, at the very center will be a depiction of you, opulent and imperial in the trappings of your Path, Order and Legacy. You will also find the targets as they were before they died, either subdued by your sword, or carrying your throne, or in many other ways, but always crushed beneath your might. This item is a magical treasure and it pulses with the mana of their patterns.

What is that ? Banishing the Invader ? Yes, some old records mention it. To do so, you must sever all threads that bind a target to you. And I mean all of them, sympathy, memory, even karma. Old pictures must be burned, the places you cherished as kids, the memories people have of you, even their home, all must be destroyed, all except the memories you keep of the target. When you do so, a wound will appear in the Rag Collector. From it, you will be able to pull....something, the records indicate everyone gets something different: a violin made of rowan and polished bone, a pickled werewolf liver, a statue of a djinn made of turmaline paraiba. Every account indicates that the person instinctively knew what to do with the item.

That is the extent of my knowledge, I have never run into it, and I hope you don't either.
                  Last edited by KaiserAfini; 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

When on of my Mages summoned an Abyssal I had it show up as a Doppelganger that went straight to one of the most unpleasant Mages in the city and challenged him to a duel after insulting him. It then spent the rest of it's time manifested just watching the unfolding chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by TenguGrib View Post
                      When on of my Mages summoned an Abyssal I had it show up as a Doppelganger that went straight to one of the most unpleasant Mages in the city and challenged him to a duel after insulting him. It then spent the rest of it's time manifested just watching the unfolding chaos.
                      Just out of curiosity, how did they deal with it ? For example, couldn't that be resolved by having an apprentice of Prime cast Words of Truth ? If people doubt the feelings of truth, he could explain it to a dog or cat (the spell never says it limited to human languages) and then ask them what the person said.
                      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

Just out of curiosity, how did they deal with it ? For example, couldn't that be resolved by having an apprentice of Prime mage cast Words of Truth ? If people doubt the feelings of truth, he could explain it to a dog or cat (the spell never says it limited to human languages) and then ask them what the person said.
                        That would require Melvin-the-Unpleasant to actually care about the truth, rather than being grateful for the casus belli to wreck someone's face.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

That would require Melvin-the-Unpleasant to actually care about the truth, rather than being grateful for the casus belli to wreck someone's face.
                          While true, the Reach effect for the spell does allow you to strongly incentivize listeners to care.

Comment

Working...
                          X