Transmutation question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmutation question

These sorts of spells seem like some of the trickiest for me to wrap my head around (pun not inteded, assuming it would constitue one).

If I turn an object, let's say a car, into water it would presumably splash to the ground and go into the soil unless some further magic is used. What happens when the duration runs out and all the water is spread out? Does it turn into myriad fragments of metals, plastic, rubber and so on?

If I turn the car into paper or wood or something instead and then burn it down, would the resulting ash eventually switch back at the end of the duration into dust of metals, plastic and rubber?

Or does the car magically reform because it was a car originally?

And let's talk about living beings. Say I turn someone into a stone statue. I suppose if I capitate the head, a headless person will appear when the spell is done?

If I turn someone into water and distribute it into various jars (provided I can) do I simply end up with various chunks of gore in different jars?

1. Yes, it's as you describe.

2, This one is tricky but I would assume that if the transmuted has been changed in some way or became part of a different pattern it no longer is what it was, so it doesn't shift back. The smoke and ashes are a different existence than the wood. The wood just doesn't exist anymore so there isn't anything that can turn back. But afaik this was never answered officially so it's hard to say.

3. If you turn someone into a statue and then chop their head off, you end up with a headless, dying and very confused body.

4. Yeah chunks of gore.

So in the vast majority of cases the effects don't stick. The

Comment

These examples are, as I would run it, all correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Menace View Post
        1. Yes, it's as you describe.

2, This one is tricky but I would assume that if the transmuted has been changed in some way or became part of a different pattern it no longer is what it was, so it doesn't shift back. The smoke and ashes are a different existence than the wood. The wood just doesn't exist anymore so there isn't anything that can turn back. But afaik this was never answered officially so it's hard to say.

3. If you turn someone into a statue and then chop their head off, you end up with a headless, dying and very confused body.

4. Yeah chunks of gore.

So in the vast majority of cases the effects don't stick. The

I can just imagine Guardians sitting around, telling horror stories about the cover ups they had to engineer because of this spell.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

In a related question, I have never got my head around what the effects would be of a matter/forces Adept transmuting matter into energy and vice versa. How much sound would a transmuted car release? How much light would I need to make a new house for myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
            In a related question, I have never got my head around what the effects would be of a matter/forces Adept transmuting matter into energy and vice versa. How much sound would a transmuted car release? How much light would I need to make a new house for myself?
            Well Size is an abstraction in CoD, and there happens to be an abstract scaling of Forces chart. Bonfire is probably car sized, so move over to sound and it says electric guitar, so a car releases as much noise as that when transmuted. A house would require all the light from a floodlight.

Comment

If you go by physics... I don't want to think about that. Turn a car into sound and, well, shot heard 'round the world. Literally. Probably heard several hundred times, in fact, as the shockwave circles the Earth multiple times.How much light would you need to make a house? Enough to noticeably dim the sun's light over the entire planet. E=mc^2, you know. To create a single hydrogen atom requires energy equivalent to a high energy gamma photon. And when I say high energy, I mean it: this is the kind of gamma ray that when it passes through a gamma-absorbent material produces enough visible light to be clearly seen with the unaided eye.

Comment

Now I'm seeing a Forces/Matter Adept transforming a car into the honk of a horn. Great fun until the spell ends and the entire neighbourhood becomes filled with car-particles.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

There was a chart in v1 that actually did this specific thing. Normally I wouldn't reference old rules, but I think with this chart, you could cross reference to the current charts, and get an idea.

As far as what happens when the spell ends, I tend to go with dispersed energy remains dispersed energy. Otherwise I could turn a car into radiation, the. Cancel the spell to fill people with deadly hunks of metal.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post
                    There was a chart in v1 that actually did this specific thing. Normally I wouldn't reference old rules, but I think with this chart, you could cross reference to the current charts, and get an idea.

As far as what happens when the spell ends, I tend to go with dispersed energy remains dispersed energy. Otherwise I could turn a car into radiation, the. Cancel the spell to fill people with deadly hunks of metal.
                    Not that there's anything wrong with that in terms of game mechanics.

Comment

Why would it be hunks of metal when the radiation spreads mostly uniformly? After a turn the radiation svould occupy an area measured in kilometres, meaning the car would be so distributed that people within the area might not even be affected.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Not that there's anything wrong with that in terms of game mechanics.

It's more the balance perspective that concerns me.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Why would it be hunks of metal when the radiation spreads mostly uniformly? After a turn the radiation svould occupy an area measured in kilometres, meaning the car would be so distributed that people within the area might not even be affected.
                        It also depends on what type of radiation you transmute for, as some are stopped fairly easily in comparison to others. My point was more that it would be a balance concern than the physics of the question.

Comment

Being able to grievously hurt or kill people with two Arcana at four dots is pretty far from game breaking. Most (if not all) Arcana can already do that on their own in various direct or convoluted ways.

Comment

It's more the balance perspective that concerns me.
                            Balance in what respect? As I already noted in terms of the mechanics there’s nothing wrong with that outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                              Being able to grievously hurt or kill people with two Arcana at four dots is pretty far from game breaking. Most (if not all) Arcana can already do that on their own in various direct or convoluted ways.
                              Yep, for example, lets say you have a flock of origami birds. With a Ruling of Matter you can make them fly and do precise maneuvers. Have a hanged spell on them for Transmutation, when its above the target, it goes off and transforms the paper into the core of a dwarf star. No matter what kind of ultra powerful supernatural you are, if that doesn't instantly kill you, you will at least be crippled.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Working...
                              X