New Night Horrors Book coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
    And yes, it will have the 2e Scelesti, Mad One*, Tremere, Integrity-not-Wisdom Banishers, etc rules in it.
    This is amazing news.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Yes, some (or many probably) of the Ascended can be antagonists, but Mages don't seem to have an aversion to joining their ranks they way they do with liches.
      Which makes total and utter sense.

Because the Ascended don't eat people if they don't want to be ephemeral beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Which makes total and utter sense.

Because the Ascended don't eat people if they don't want to be ephemeral beings.

..have you met the Ascended?

I would not put anything past any of them.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
        Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Also, Liches don't necessarily want to eat people. You're probably referring to a very specific type of Lich (the Tremere who consume souls, perhaps?).

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            Also, Liches don't necessarily want to eat people. You're probably referring to a very specific type of Lich (the Tremere who consume souls, perhaps?).
            Problem is, it's explicitly said you change yourself into a form that can't die of old age...or you steal that life from others.

I consider that people eating, even if it's more abstract than that-you consume other lives to support your own.

Good point on the Ascended, but, and this is a large but, it's not obligatory for them.

Comment

I don't think a simple anti aging spell would really be considered a Lich, biological immortality is found in the natural world among rare species and you can still die from countless other causes and your still biologically human.

Still I agree that I don't buy Mage as an to tranahumanism either, it can't be antitranshuman, because Mages have already transcended regular human abilities, vastly.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                I don't think a simple anti aging spell would really be considered a Lich, biological immortality is found in the natural world among rare species and you can still die from countless other causes and your still biologically human.

Still I agree that I don't buy Mage as an to tranahumanism either, it can't be antitranshuman, because Mages have already transcended regular human abilities, vastly.
                Games are up to personal interpretation, of course, and if it's not how you see it, cool.

But it should be noted, as accounting go, that Dave has gone on record an awful lot that he does not consider Awakening to be a transhumanist game. Make of that what you will.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

It's certainly true that Mages who don't concern themselves with humanity are the ones most likely to go off the rails.

Comment

The Night Horrors line has been consistently good, even the curveballs like Wicked Dead. I imagine everyone's going to find something they really like in it, even folks who don't run mage will likely have shiny new antagonists to put into play with second edition rules.

Comment

Book is now off to Redlines.

Comment

As for the transhumanist discussion: I always found Mage a very humanist game, cause with all the power that the Awakened have the struggles and temptations they face are awfully human in mature. That's also why i like the Seers as an antagonist, they're PAINFULLY human.

Also feeling the urge to rant about why I don't like the term "tranhumanism" but that's not the place for that.

Comment

mages aren't anti-transhumanist. Mage is.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

I'd argue the transhumanist game is Demon.

Comment

Hasn't it been said mage is about not about teanshumanism, but simply being more of what makes humans great

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                                Hasn't it been said mage is about not about teanshumanism, but simply being more of what makes humans great
                                Who knows? People are throwing it around like there's a single definition when there clearly isn't. Or probably more accurately, it has different implications for different people.

I mean, Irioth clearly meant it in a fairly limited sense. They wanted a way for a character to live a very long time without needing to start sacrificing people. Is that transhumanism or just letting a person be human for longer?

Is a mage a 'transhuman'?

Comment

Working...
                                X