No announcement yet.

New Night Horrors Book coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mage is about how true spiritual enlightenment may yield real insights about the self and the world, but doesn't necessarily have a positive effect on one's morality.
    Last edited by Octavo; 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Like all the CoD games, Mage has strong elements of horror at its core. Most forms of transhumanism don't really mesh well with horror -- they're too optimistic. Transhumanist thought tends to be based on the idea that it's possible to become superhuman without losing anything valuable in the process. Horror stories in general don't tend to share this assumption; the kind of horror most CoD games specialize in is specifically about trying to remain morally human, or at least humane, in circumstances that threaten your humanity. If existence as a supernatural being doesn't threaten your humanity in some way, then there's no central conflict. Demon is something of an exception in that the Unchained were never human and never will be, but there's still an implication that humanity is valuable and worth protecting from the God-Machine's depredations. (Beast is also kind of an exception, but that's more down to inconsistent writing than anything else.

If you're looking for a game that's fundamentally optimistic about humanity's potential to exceed its limitations, I recommend Aeon. The CoD games, however, take it as axiomatic that you can't get something for nothing. (I don't mean that in a judgmental way; I have transhumanist sympathies myself. But CoD is not about transhumanism.)

EDIT: On further reflection, it occurs to me that Geist has some thematic resonance with transhumanism; Sin-Eaters aren't trying to eliminate death as such, but they're trying to make what comes after death less harsh and unfair. If the afterlife is verifiably real, achieving literal immortality is less important than ensuring that you have a nice place to "retire" to. If ghosts are still people, and if the oppressive systems that govern the Underworld can be changed, then what is there to fear in death?
      Last edited by DSPaul; 09-05-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I reread an great story by Thomas Ligotti recently called Masquerade of a Dead Sword that had an interesting depiction of the Awakening, without the magical ability attached to it and the maddening nihilism that could lead from such an experience. Complete with an appearance from the Anima Mundi.

'Reality is a prison designed by tyranny and there's no reliable way out' isn't exactly a transhumanist perspective.

But you can still be a transhumanist mage, and some of the lines have transhumanist factions, like the Ordo Dracul and Ivory Claws, though that verges on transmonsterism. Still have Cheiron and whatever TFV is willing to do to you.
        Last edited by nofather; 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Book's off to Development.

Comment

Working...
          X