Accelerated Casting Time Feedback Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated Casting Time Feedback Request

So we all know that you can extend the casting time of your rituals in order to gain a dice bonus on the casting roll. But what about those situations where you have time to prepare, but not as much time as you'd like. Should Mages be able to accelerate their rituals at the expense of a dice penalty? Just to get the conversation started I drew up some example numbers
    • 3/4's casting time : -2 Dice
    • 1/2 casting time : -4 Dice
    • 1/4 casting time : -6 Dice
    Personally I think anything less than that starts getting ridiculous. I also considered limiting it to 3/4's or 1/2. At this point it's just a thought I had and would like other peoples opinions.

With the above numbers, at Gnosis 1, the ritual interval would be 3 hours, 2 1/4 hours, 1.5 hours, or 45 minutes.

At Gnosis 10, the intervals would 20 turns, 15 turns, 10 turns, or 5 turns.

Personally I find these numbers acceptable. Any thoughts?

If you want to cast a spell quickly you spend a Reach to make it Instant and then cast it over the course of however many turns it takes to use up your Yantra slots.

Comment

If you have a Time mage in your group, it means that if they attain mastery, Corridors of Time becomes a lot less useful.

It also means a lot less Paradox potential in your game. For example, lets say a Fate mage has a rote for Exceptional Luck, that could give 5 dice without costing mana. He casts it on the user, who uses a High Speech action yantra, totalling 7 dice. With that, any member of a starting party can prepare to have any spell cast in 1/4 the time plus 2 turns, get a bonus dice and still have a free yantra slot if they want, which could be their dedicated tool. Sure it uses one more turn, but the benefits are very tempting. So that means players will probably generate more Paraxox in later points of the game, when their Gnosis is higher. This can be interesting roleplaying wise, if anyone temporarily separates the Fate mage from them and they have trouble coping with having "less power", or burning through mana quickly because they never learned to do more with less.

There are probably other ways to do it, such as using an Enhance Skill rote to boost the mudra of other people's rotes, but those were the first to come to mind.
      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-09-2018, 09:48 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        If you want to cast a spell quickly you spend a Reach to make it Instant and then cast it over the course of however many turns it takes to use up your Yantra slots.
        This saves one a Reach, though. It's good if you want another Reach effect, but still want to minimize Paradox risk while not taking forever.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I wouldn't say its too useful even with balance problems. Low gnosis long ritual characters simply lack the dice, and strong mages don't *need* this. I think it also takes the tension away. I like feeling rewarded for finding clever roleplay solutions instead of lucking out on a good roll with math'd up dice pools.

However, if its good for a table its good for a table. No harm in experimenting if the players know its a trial run of a homebrewd mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
            This saves one a Reach, though. It's good if you want another Reach effect, but still want to minimize Paradox risk while not taking forever.
            At lower levels of Gnosis, Reach is much less valuable than dice.
            At higher levels of Gnosis, that changes, but your ritual casting interval is already going to be a lot shorter.

@OP - This hack looks okay on paper - I don't think it would break anything, but I'm not sure what use it would actually have in practice, since it doesn't really fit into the spellcasting economy at any point during a Mage's power curve. If you want to keep this as an option regardless, it'd probably work better to make a standard 5-step chart and just treat casting time as a fully-fledged spell factor.

Comment

It should be noted I haven't mentioned this to any of my players (all two of them) yet so there's nothing on the line for me. I was thinking about it and was wondering what others would think about it. I hadn't considered how it would affect a Time Mage, and having one feel like a God among men for being able to help the cabal cast more spells in a shorter time is likely a much better table payout than adding a new spell factor to consider.

I agree with Inodiv that at lower Gnosis Reach is harder to get than dice are. However after reading the other comments I think I'll set this idea aside unless it comes up as something the players are interested in during play.

Comment

Originally posted by TenguGrib View Post
                I agree with Inodiv that at lower Gnosis Reach is harder to get than dice are. However after reading the other comments I think I'll set this idea aside unless it comes up as something the players are interested in during play.
                They actually said dice are harder to get than Reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

They actually said dice are harder to get than Reach.

I misread it. You are correct.

Comment

Working...
                  X