What to read while waiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to read while waiting

Years ago I had a hankering to play Mage and grabbed up any traditionally printed book I could find that wasn't ridiculously overpriced. I ran a couple sessions for my gaming group but they were not terribly into it and a lot of my books never even got opened and we went back to Vampire.

I have decided I want to give it another go and have ordered the 2nd. edition book, which I have heard will fix some of my group gripes. While it is being assembled and loaded onto a slow boat to Australia, I though I would get some reading done on any 1st ed. books which are still relevant. Anyone have any suggestions from this list?

https://imgur.com/gallery/wcaOhOa

In no particular order:

Sanctum and Sigil can be good for the Mage politics on a Consilium level.

The conceptual stuff in Astral Realmd is still very relevant.

Keys to the Supernal Tarot and Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss are chock full of things you can hook into stories, but they’ll require updating to 2e mechanics if you use them as more than just inspiration.

Adamantine Arrow can probably be useful for its description of how a Caucus can be set up and you can extrapolate from there and combine with the Order philosophies in the 2e book get an idea of how regional Mage politics are.

Reign of the Exarch has a decent skeleton to hang a Chronicle on, I have a friend that’s been running it for the last three almost four years.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Just one more thing.
      Is there anything in the new book which straight up contradicts or supersedes anything in the older books?

Comment

Originally posted by Thiassi View Post
        Is there anything in the new book which straight up contradicts or supersedes anything in the older books?

Besides Mechanically? As far as I can tell, not overly. They have been pretty good with that. They have provided more concrete origins for the orders as opposed to "maybe they came from Atlantis maybe they didn't." Dark Eras goes into more detail but the diamond formed around the time of Alexander the Great and Seers are a splinter group of the silver ladder. Overall plot elements are always up to the Story teller so it's up to you if any of that matters.
        Most changes were made to make the game flow a bit easier. Like Mage armour as an attainment or spells no longer being designated covert or vulgar. That sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiassi View Post
          Not exactly, however there's a lot that is recontextualised and modified. For example, Convocations are detailed in the Silver Ladder book. 2e alters some aspects of them and makes them far more important, but you still really need the original Silver Ladder book to really get an idea how they work.

Comment

Magical Traditions is now basically a load of tosh.

EDIT: Okay, not entirely true, but the notion behind the majority of the book is very off base.

EDIT: Oops, not a problem, you actually have a list and that's not in there. My bad, missed that. ^_^;
            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-19-2018, 03:13 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              Magical Traditions is now basically a load of tosh.

EDIT: Okay, not entirely true, but the notion behind the majority of the book is very off base.

EDIT: Oops, not a problem, you actually have a list and that's not in there. My bad, missed that. ^_^;
              how is that btw? would any of them still work as style merits or is it completely obsolete lorewise?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

how is that btw? would any of them still work as style merits or is it completely obsolete lorewise?
                They have largely replaced by dedicated tools, Legacies, and (for those Traditions that joined into the Free Council) Techne. The book's explanations of how the traditions worked was always kind of at odds with the way Awakening's magic work and really has no place with the clarified stance of 2E.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Glad for the clarification! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X