Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changeling magic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changeling magic

    Is it Fate oriented? Regarding crossover how would one run with it in regards to the Arcana? Would Fate work against Changelings like Spirit does against Werewolf Gifts?

    Not too familiar with Lost, but I'm assuming one can leave the borders of the Hedge using Space and/or Time (never entered in the first place). Sorry for the simplicity of this question.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rathford View Post
    Is it Fate oriented? Regarding crossover how would one run with it in regards to the Arcana? Would Fate work against Changelings like Spirit does against Werewolf Gifts?

    Not too familiar with Lost, but I'm assuming one can leave the borders of the Hedge using Space and/or Time (never entered in the first place). Sorry for the simplicity of this question.
    The answers to most of these questions in 1e can be found in the Changeling supplement The Equinox Road on pages 74-75, but I'll here point out that Space alone is not going to get you into a completely different metaphysical dimension the way Death or Spirit can just on general principle.


    Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

    Comment


    • #3
      Depends on the power, but in general changeling stuff is Fate + Mind when it comes to their power set, as Meghan has said "in Mage terms you can't use Fate alone to directly influence Wyrd-related phenomena, you need conjunctional Mind."

      Also you cannot leave the Hedge through magic iirc, but Dave has said you can use magic to enter it.
      Last edited by milo v3; 09-03-2018, 05:12 AM.


      Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

      Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

      Comment


      • #4
        I wonder if you can drop a "beacon" near a known (and whose key is known) Hedge Gate, and use Teleport to get back to it. You aren't technically using magic to leave, you are using a Hedge Gate. You are just using magic to get to it easier. Considering how the Hedge "moves around", you'll probably need to leave an object with a Sympathetic Connection there, rather than relying on your connection to the place.


        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          Depends on the power, but in general changeling stuff is Fate + Mind when it comes to their power set, as Meghan has said "in Mage terms you can't use Fate alone to directly influence Wyrd-related phenomena, you need conjunctional Mind."

          Also you cannot leave the Hedge through magic iirc, but Dave has said you can use magic to enter it.
          Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The basic rule of thumb is that Mage lumps any form of existing gateway together as an "Iris"; many require some specific means of opening them called a "key" in Mage-Lexicon, and opening one without the proper key is always a Weaving spell of the appropriate Arcanum.

          Head to your nearest graveyard and pop open the Avernian gate? Death 3. Open a hole in the Gauntlet that only opens under a bood moon? Spirit 3. Make that alley that leads from New York to Chicago without having to circle the block three times clockwise? Space 3.

          Opening an existing Hedge gate is Fate 3.

          Making an Iris when you don't have one available is always a Making spell. So, a Master of fate can rip their way out of the Hedge without a doorway, same way Death five has a spell to create Avernian gateways. Everyone else will be stuck looking for the exit.
          You can't teleport out of the Hedge or create a non-Hedge Gate portal (like Demon's Rip the Gates), but if you can create a Hedge Gate then you're free to use it as you see fit.

          Also, it might require equal parts Fate and Mind rather than just Fate now that Dave and Meghan has worked over the cosmology of the Hedge.


          Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

          Comment


          • #6

            Here's some comments by Dave:

            Comment


            • #7
              Hmmm. Perhaps best not to use Acanthus in Changeling crossover. Or Thyrsus in Werewolf. Helpful.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rathford View Post
                Hmmm. Perhaps best not to use Acanthus in Changeling crossover. Or Thyrsus in Werewolf. Helpful.
                Depends on the capacity and intent. It *can* work so long as you plan with it mind.


                Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

                Comment

                Working...
                X