No announcement yet.

Making Money in a low-tech setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering how easy it can be for any mage to make money, I'd be hard pressed to justify a mage not having at least Resources 2 not long after Awakening. People rather like not living hand-to-mouth. Of the mage concepts I've created, only one wouldn't have at least Resources 1 at start, and she was a street kid who was was new to her powers and working on how to actually profit by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      I didn't intend to connect Obsessions with Skill/Attribute increases. The first sentence was me giving a reason why increasing Resources would delay increasing another trait in-setting. The second sentence was an in-character motivation for not increasing Resources.
      Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that's what you were doing. I was just using Obsessions as an example of my point.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
        Considering how easy it can be for any mage to make money, I'd be hard pressed to justify a mage not having at least Resources 2 not long after Awakening. People rather like not living hand-to-mouth.
        You can have Resources 0 and still be quite well-off — the Merit is "disposable income" as a narrative device the character has access to in a system where appropriate Skills and Merits provide contextually narrower access to the same exact things.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          You can have Resources 0 and still be quite well-off — the Merit is "disposable income" as a narrative device the character has access to in a system where appropriate Skills and Merits provide contextually narrower access to the same exact things.
          Quite true. An owner of a vast business empire who is fully leveraged easily can have fewer liquid assets than a teenager with a job at the local burger shack. (Of course, a merit like Backing is more appropriate in some such cases) The level of resources available to characters during play is what the Resource background represents.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Working...
          X