Star Treking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Enjoy relativistic effects on your body and how slow light really is. And your van running out of breathable air.

Better to use a Co-Located Drone ship.
    Force and time magic would shield you from near light speed velocity.
    Mars is twelve light minutes from earth, in a van you would not run out of air (of course once you are on mars the problem applies)

But a space magic teleoperated starship drone in truth would be more safe

Comment

Reaching near light speed would take longer than you may think though. That said: Cast velocity control on a near light speed vessel - faster than speed of light possible?

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Send the drone, with which you have Sympathy, to your target, then open a Co-Location portal. Key it so that gasses not in a container can't get through.

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
          Reaching near light speed would take longer than you may think though. That said: Cast velocity control on a near light speed vessel - faster than speed of light possible?
          I'd assume so, magic doesn't have a hard limit on speed.

Comment

So we are in agreement? Actually traveling through space is for chumps without the ability to Teleport.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Wouldn't time-dilation have an effect? So even if you exerted constant linear acceleration, it would take long and linger to actually accelerate, relative to an external observer?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

That s the reason of adding time magic acceleration, it would make reaching top velocity faster and ignore the light speed limit.
                All of this with only force 3 and time 3 if i read it correctly

Comment

So we are in agreement? Actually traveling through space is for chumps without the ability to Teleport.
                  I agree, but the idea of putting a bunch of people in a light speed van with only magic protecting them from an orrible death with a huge margin of error sounds both hilarious and adventurous to me 😂

Comment

it would take long and linger to actually accelerate, relative to an external observer?
                    It wouldn't, because magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

I agree, but the idea of putting a bunch of people in a light speed van with only magic protecting them from an orrible death with a huge margin of error sounds both hilarious and adventurous to me 😂
                      Only if it is a Winnebago with wings you've tacked on.

Comment

Only if it is a Winnebago with wings you've tacked on.
                        "And now let s cast LUDICROUS SPEED rote!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

"And now let s cast LUDICROUS SPEED rote!!!"
                          Just Imbue that already. And your Forces+Prime Platonic-Flame-Sword.
                          Last edited by Vent0; 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

As a student of Relativity, I'd love to apply Space magic to something moving near the speed of light. Not because of the time dilation effect, per se; but because of the related Relativity of Simultaneity: what counts as “at the same time” depends on your frame of reference. That would be a reason to get into a spaceship moving near lightspeed relative to Earth: it would let you leverage your Space magic to reach through time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              As a student of Relativity, I'd love to apply Space magic to something moving near the speed of light. Not because of the time dilation effect, per se; but because of the related Relativity of Simultaneity: what counts as “at the same time” depends on your frame of reference. That would be a reason to get into a spaceship moving near lightspeed relative to Earth: it would let you leverage your Space magic to reach through time.
                              I forget the correlation - is the object traveling near-light "faster" (experiences more moments) or "slower" (experiences less moments)? I thought "slower".

I understood it as things have a limited Time-Space budget, and the Super-Luminal-Time-Travel issue was that at speeds greater than c, your Time speed gets negative (or, rewinds).
                              Last edited by Vent0; 09-15-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

If you solve the equation for time dilation for a velocity greater than c, the end result is not. negative. The formula is delta-t = delta-t-zero/(1-(v/c)^2)^2, so at v>c, delta-t becomes an imaginary number. What that would mean in terms of the physical world is at best unclear.

Comment

Working...
                                X