Star Treking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I forget the correlation - is the object traveling near-light "faster" (experiences more moments) or "slower" (experiences less moments)? I thought "slower".

I understood it as things have a limited Time-Space budget, and the Super-Luminal-Time-Travel issue was that at speeds greater than c, your Time speed gets negative (or, rewinds).
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting anything about getting the spaceship up to faster-than-light speeds; according to modern physics, that's not even possible. I'm just looking at near-light speeds (which are impractical, rather than impossible — unless you have Forces, which can make the impractical practical).

Again, it's not the time dilation effect I'm interested in: it's the relativity of Simultaneity: two events that take place at the same time from the spacecraft's frame of reference take place at different times from Earth's frame of reference. So once I'm on board the spacecraft that's moving away from Earth at near-lightspeed, I should be able to use Space spells to connect to a point on Earth in its past (which, for me on the spacecraft, will still be “now”).

The distinguishing feature here isn't where I am, but rather how fast I'm going — mostly. The ability to reach into the past is coupled to distance (the further from Earth I am, the more pronounced the effect), though the fact that I'm moving away from Earth slower than lightspeed means that the “now” on Earth that corresponds to my “now” also moves forward in time; it's only while I'm accelerating (and thus the “plane of simultaneity” is “tipping”) that the corresponding “now” on Earth can move backward in time — and then only if I'm accelerating away from Earth.

As for which clock is running slow, that also depends on your frame of reference: from Earth's frame of reference, the spaceship's clock is running slow; from the spaceship's frame of reference, Earth's clock is running slow. Normally, you resolve the paradox by either having the astronaut go back to Earth or having the observer on Earth get in another spacecraft and chase down the first one. In the first case, the returning astronaut will have aged less; in the second case, the second astronaut will have aged less.

Again though, the fun here is that we get to use Space magic to short-circuit the experiment. What happens if, through Co-Location, the two observers are actually the same person?

A Threnodist with supplemental training in Forces could have lots of fun with this.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X