X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LadyLens
    started a topic Star Treking...

Star Treking...

across the universe! Or at least between the planets. It's not hard these days to get high quality reasonably recent photos of the planets, especially the surfaces of the Moon and of Mars. These are valid sympathetic Yantras, according to page 122. So, my question is how, without Space 5, one might establish a sympathetic link to the planet?

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I forget the correlation - is the object traveling near-light "faster" (experiences more moments) or "slower" (experiences less moments)? I thought "slower".

I understood it as things have a limited Time-Space budget, and the Super-Luminal-Time-Travel issue was that at speeds greater than c, your Time speed gets negative (or, rewinds).
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting anything about getting the spaceship up to faster-than-light speeds; according to modern physics, that's not even possible. I'm just looking at near-light speeds (which are impractical, rather than impossible — unless you have Forces, which can make the impractical practical).

Again, it's not the time dilation effect I'm interested in: it's the relativity of Simultaneity: two events that take place at the same time from the spacecraft's frame of reference take place at different times from Earth's frame of reference. So once I'm on board the spacecraft that's moving away from Earth at near-lightspeed, I should be able to use Space spells to connect to a point on Earth in its past (which, for me on the spacecraft, will still be “now”).

The distinguishing feature here isn't where I am, but rather how fast I'm going — mostly. The ability to reach into the past is coupled to distance (the further from Earth I am, the more pronounced the effect), though the fact that I'm moving away from Earth slower than lightspeed means that the “now” on Earth that corresponds to my “now” also moves forward in time; it's only while I'm accelerating (and thus the “plane of simultaneity” is “tipping”) that the corresponding “now” on Earth can move backward in time — and then only if I'm accelerating away from Earth.

As for which clock is running slow, that also depends on your frame of reference: from Earth's frame of reference, the spaceship's clock is running slow; from the spaceship's frame of reference, Earth's clock is running slow. Normally, you resolve the paradox by either having the astronaut go back to Earth or having the observer on Earth get in another spacecraft and chase down the first one. In the first case, the returning astronaut will have aged less; in the second case, the second astronaut will have aged less.

Again though, the fun here is that we get to use Space magic to short-circuit the experiment. What happens if, through Co-Location, the two observers are actually the same person?

A Threnodist with supplemental training in Forces could have lots of fun with this.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied
    If you solve the equation for time dilation for a velocity greater than c, the end result is not. negative. The formula is delta-t = delta-t-zero/(1-(v/c)^2)^2, so at v>c, delta-t becomes an imaginary number. What that would mean in terms of the physical world is at best unclear.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    As a student of Relativity, I'd love to apply Space magic to something moving near the speed of light. Not because of the time dilation effect, per se; but because of the related Relativity of Simultaneity: what counts as “at the same time” depends on your frame of reference. That would be a reason to get into a spaceship moving near lightspeed relative to Earth: it would let you leverage your Space magic to reach through time.
    I forget the correlation - is the object traveling near-light "faster" (experiences more moments) or "slower" (experiences less moments)? I thought "slower".

I understood it as things have a limited Time-Space budget, and the Super-Luminal-Time-Travel issue was that at speeds greater than c, your Time speed gets negative (or, rewinds).
    Last edited by Vent0; 09-15-2018, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    As a student of Relativity, I'd love to apply Space magic to something moving near the speed of light. Not because of the time dilation effect, per se; but because of the related Relativity of Simultaneity: what counts as “at the same time” depends on your frame of reference. That would be a reason to get into a spaceship moving near lightspeed relative to Earth: it would let you leverage your Space magic to reach through time.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

"And now let s cast LUDICROUS SPEED rote!!!"
    Just Imbue that already. And your Forces+Prime Platonic-Flame-Sword.
    Last edited by Vent0; 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied

Only if it is a Winnebago with wings you've tacked on.
    "And now let s cast LUDICROUS SPEED rote!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

I agree, but the idea of putting a bunch of people in a light speed van with only magic protecting them from an orrible death with a huge margin of error sounds both hilarious and adventurous to me 😂
    Only if it is a Winnebago with wings you've tacked on.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    it would take long and linger to actually accelerate, relative to an external observer?
    It wouldn't, because magic.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    So we are in agreement? Actually traveling through space is for chumps without the ability to Teleport.
    I agree, but the idea of putting a bunch of people in a light speed van with only magic protecting them from an orrible death with a huge margin of error sounds both hilarious and adventurous to me 😂

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

I'd assume so, magic doesn't have a hard limit on speed.
    That s the reason of adding time magic acceleration, it would make reaching top velocity faster and ignore the light speed limit.
    All of this with only force 3 and time 3 if i read it correctly

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Wouldn't time-dilation have an effect? So even if you exerted constant linear acceleration, it would take long and linger to actually accelerate, relative to an external observer?

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    So we are in agreement? Actually traveling through space is for chumps without the ability to Teleport.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Flinty View Post
    Reaching near light speed would take longer than you may think though. That said: Cast velocity control on a near light speed vessel - faster than speed of light possible?

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied
    Send the drone, with which you have Sympathy, to your target, then open a Co-Location portal. Key it so that gasses not in a container can't get through.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X