Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signs of Sorcery moved out of Development!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of Sorcery moved out of Development!!!

I've been looking forward to this book, so that makes me happy.

Any idea what that means (aside from it being closer to release)? I'm sure it's been explained before but I don't remember.

Comment

Excellent! I've got so many questions, so many mysteries I want to unravel. This just made a really bad day into a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Any idea what that means (aside from it being closer to release)? I'm sure it's been explained before but I don't remember.
        It means the stack of MS Word documents that is the book have gone off to White Wolf to see if they like it - as they own Mage, they have to approve of any material for it. If they don't, I will get notes on what they want changing about it. If they do, it'll get sent to an editor who can give themselves nightmares with Mage's lexicon and try desperately to iron all my unconcious Britishisms out of the text.

In the meantime, I'm writing the art notes for the book - describing what the art should look like for the Art Director to then hire artists.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

It means the stack of MS Word documents that is the book have gone off to White Wolf to see if they like it - as they own Mage, they have to approve of any material for it. If they don't, I will get notes on what they want changing about it. If they do, it'll get sent to an editor who can give themselves nightmares with Mage's lexicon and try desperately to iron all my unconcious Britishisms out of the text.

In the meantime, I'm writing the art notes for the book - describing what the art should look like for the Art Director to then hire artists.
          Hey,I've got a question if you don't mind. Y'kno the Astras from Imperial Mysteries,the Artifacts that were reated to True Gods of the Supernal? Are they featured in Signs of Sorcery?

Comment

Yes.

(character minimum limit)

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
              Yes.

(character minimum limit)
              Thanks dave

Comment

Actually speaking of imperial mysterious, will there be anything new or updated about archmasters in sigh and sorcery?

Comment

For those interested, I'm reposting a spoiler compilation made by Second Chances.

Link

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

I really don't get the problem with the perfecting of material from a living being. Maybe it's because my background is unusual: much of my father's side of the family is in health care, and my grandfather on my mother's side was a hunter and trapper in far north, but I don't see what's so hubristic about drawing a blood sample and perfecting it, or about perfecting a just-plucked strand of hair or a sample of sputum. Sure, skinning someone alive for your magic would be hubristic in the extreme, but I don't see how perfecting the skin counts as an act of hubris. And there are ways to get human skin without so much as draw ing blood, they're perfectly normal and used all the time in hospitals.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
                      I really don't get the problem with the perfecting of material from a living being. Maybe it's because my background is unusual: much of my father's side of the family is in health care, and my grandfather on my mother's side was a hunter and trapper in far north, but I don't see what's so hubristic about drawing a blood sample and perfecting it, or about perfecting a just-plucked strand of hair or a sample of sputum. Sure, skinning someone alive for your magic would be hubristic in the extreme, but I don't see how perfecting the skin counts as an act of hubris. And there are ways to get human skin without so much as draw ing blood, they're perfectly normal and used all the time in hospitals.
                      Maybe it would lack the potency required or have some other slippery slope to tempt mages with? Blood sacrifice in Mage only counts if a life is taken, for example. Perhaps small samples simply don't produce the qualities of a distilled, massive sampling of perfected blood from a single person.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

Maybe it would lack the potency required or have some other slippery slope to tempt mages with? Blood sacrifice in Mage only counts if a life is taken, for example. Perhaps small samples simply don't produce the qualities of a distilled, massive sampling of perfected blood from a single person.
                        Actually, that's another gripe I have with hubris. What's so hubristic about killing an animal for Mana? Humans kill animals for food all the time, why should it be hubristic to kill an animal for another form of sustenance?

Comment

To get any materials worth getting you'll have to take more than just a few strands of hair. And there's a difference between doing it to get perfected materials and doing it for the sake of the patient. The latter wouldn't be hubristic because you're helping someone even if it might look gruesome for someone who doesn't know what's going on. But taking chunks of someone's body for the sake of getting magical materials, then you're definitely prioritising magic over the well-being of a person.
                          There can be situations where you're doing this for the sake of the person or getting genuine consent from them, in which case you can modify which level it would be an Act of Hubris since all example Acts of Hubris are supposed to be modified based on circumstances.

Actually, that's another gripe I have with hubris. What's so hubristic about killing an animal for Mana? Humans kill animals for food all the time, why should it be hubristic to kill an animal for another form of sustenance?
                          Because Mana is not sustenance. Killing an animal for Mana means you prioritise your magic over the well-being and life of the animal. Killing an animal and eating it means you get the nutrients you actually need. (And I can see how some mages prefer to become vegan once their magic can compensate for the difficulty to get all nutrients. Exploring that as an Obsession might be grounds to increase your Wisdom.)
                          Last edited by Tessie; 09-23-2018, 05:53 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I kinda agree and I think thats why Thyrsus having the innocent killer merit made sense.

But I'd say it is because of the depth of selfishness it embodies. You don't need them for sustenance. You're just greedy, or impatient. Even if its an animal, what gives you the right to take a life to give yourself momentary power? Isnt that the embodiment of what makes humans so awful? Does that make you any better than a vampire?

Buuuut. What if you also planned to eat the animal or honor its spirit in the hisil or flat out don't see vampires as inherently evil? And animal sacrifice WAS important to a lot of cultures. And in Sundered World it seems less problematic.

Its probably more a cultural hubris. If your a metropolitan mastigos who has never even thought about it until you ran out of mana, I'd say thats hubris to sacrifice someones dog for mana.

If your a thyrsus trapper who grew up doing woodland work, I don't see it being hubris unless you get greedy like killing a bear and leaving it to rot, or mass sacrifices.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

I kinda agree and I think thats why Thyrsus having the innocent killer merit made sense.

But I'd say it is because of the depth of selfishness it embodies. You don't need them for sustenance. You're just greedy, or impatient. Even if its an animal, what gives you the right to take a life to give yourself momentary power? Isnt that the embodiment of what makes humans so awful? Does that make you any better than a vampire?

Buuuut. What if you also planned to eat the animal or honor its spirit in the hisil or flat out don't see vampires as inherently evil? And animal sacrifice WAS important to a lot of cultures. And in Sundered World it seems less problematic.

Its probably more a cultural hubris. If your a metropolitan mastigos who has never even thought about it until you ran out of mana, I'd say thats hubris to sacrifice someones dog for mana.

If your a thyrsus trapper who grew up doing woodland work, I don't see it being hubris unless you get greedy like killing a bear and leaving it to rot, or mass sacrifices.
                              I'll agree there. If you're planning to kill the chicken for supper, how is it wrong to get the mana as well? The idea of sacrificing an animal then discarding the carcass strikes me as weird. Even your ST decides that getting *any* benefit from the animal other than the mana makes the sacrifice invalid, you can and should find some valid use for the carcass. Maybe give it to a poor family, let them make a dinner of it. And as you say, animal sacrifice was and is an important part of many cultures.

Oh, and nobody with any brains would kill a bear for mana. A dead bear is largely useless: the only parts of it that actually useful to humans are the claws, teeth, fur and fat, and the first two are only good for bragging rights. So you engage in a stupidly tough fight just to subdue the animal, then you have to ritualistically kill it, and then once you take the parts I mentioned, you've got a great big heap of useless. Oh, and a point of mana. Better to sacrifice a sheep or a chicken or some other barnyard animal near its life's end. Then you get the mana and several meals, plus whatever else the carcass yields.
                              Last edited by LadyLens; 09-23-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X