Mage 2E System Hacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage 2E System Hacks

So what are some system hacks you've tried or thought about with Mage 2E? If you tried them, how did they turn out?

Some I've thought about a little but haven't tried yet:

Non-Immediate Spells
    Spell resolution goes into a special post-turn phase, keeping the Initiative order they were cast in otherwise. They still take that turn's Instant action, but can be disrupted, countered, or prepared for during that Turn.
    Purpose: This gives non-Spell actions a slight advantage in that they are immediate, but doesn't otherwise nerf the power of spell casting. High-end Fraying, Unraveling, Unmaking spells go from "I win" to "I win, unless you stop me right now."

No Wisdom Trait
    This one removes Wisdom as a 0-10 trait that is tracked (Conditions representing Enlightened, Understanding, and Falling, optional). Instead Acts of Hubris immediately apply Paradox to spells (Rolls to Contain might be the same as the Casting Pool, or Resolve+Composure, or just automatic damage, though opting for partial containment may be possible in the last one). Nimbus propagation is tied to Gnosis (11 - Gnosis = Effective Wisdom).
    Purpose: Removes any kind of relative morality as a thing that is tracked, and has Acts of Hubris immediately affect magic. Absence of AoH affecting non-Spell actions may be a bug or a feature, depending on goals.

Supernal Shock
    More a minor addition, than a full hack, but making the Dissonace roll more than just an Integrity Breaking point. DF and ES can give the Sleeper Supernatural Merits, with DF ones being Abyss aligned (Spell eating, Paradox auras, etc.) while ES ones being "magic" aligned (having the spell as a persistent effect, becoming Relic Attuned, the other Sleepwalker merits, etc.). Oh, and Acts of Hubris and/or spell Potency are penalties to the roll (making DF more common).
    Purpose: Makes public use of magic more risky, what with leaving magical mutants and fallout everywhere.
    Last edited by Vent0; 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

I do usually remove wisdom, I however do not apply extra paradox for what would have been an Act of Hubris. Works well so far.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Re: removing Wisdom and using Paradox instead, in effect you're not really changing anything that you're actually objecting to, just the mechanics by which you enforce the thing you object to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        Re: removing Wisdom and using Paradox instead, in effect you're not really changing anything that you're actually objecting to, just the mechanics by which you enforce the thing you object to.
        Object to what? Wisdom _isn't_ being tracked as a persistent trait. The purpose was not to say "look, X is Wise/unWise", and instead relegates that solely to the action.

Comment

So the action is now X, and morality is still tracked it’s just not called Wisdom and doesn’t have a counter anymore.

Comment

So the action is now X, and morality is still tracked it’s just not called Wisdom and doesn’t have a counter anymore.
            Morality (to the extent that Wisdom is such) still isn't tracked though it still has an effect.

Someone can be unWise/Hubristic and after their Paradox is dealt with, you don't know.

Wisdom is more actions then inherent.

Comment

I'm not clear on why you would want to remove Wisdom, It's a pretty simple system, doesn't bog down game play, and provides a mechanical counter balance to actions of hubris (which often include the easiest and most direct path to power). Anyone care to explain why they are not using it?

Comment

Originally posted by TenguGrib View Post
                I'm not clear on why you would want to remove Wisdom, It's a pretty simple system, doesn't bog down game play, and provides a mechanical counter balance to actions of hubris (which often include the easiest and most direct path to power). Anyone care to explain why they are not using it?
                Typically they continue to confuse it with the morality tracks of 1e even though those are no longer a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Morality (to the extent that Wisdom is such) still isn't tracked though it still has an effect.

Someone can be unWise/Hubristic and after their Paradox is dealt with, you don't know.

Wisdom is more actions then inherent.
                  So morality is good just as long as it doesn’t mean history.

Comment

Wisdom is still present as a concept, but no longer something tracked or inherent to a character. A character behaves with Wisdom, rather than is Wise.

Again, an experiment.

Comment

So morality is good just as long as it doesn’t mean history.
                      I'm not sure what the difficulty is in understanding the concept/intent is here. To reiterate: the goal is to see how removing Wisdom as a Trait on characters works, and instead of rolls to lower Wisdom, Acts of Hubris instead immediately increase Paradox risk on Spells that are being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I'm not sure what the difficulty is in understanding the concept/intent is here. To reiterate: the goal is to see how removing Wisdom as a Trait on characters works, and instead of rolls to lower Wisdom, Acts of Hubris instead immediately increase Paradox risk on Spells that are being used.
                        I’m aware of what the goal is, but if the problem with Wisdom was tracking relative morality then you are still doing that by invoking Paradox. The only difference is that there isn’t a marker that acts as an abstract history of the trends their actions take. If you truly didn’t want to track relative morality then you’d just drop AoH altogether.

Comment

It just doesn't serve any purpose for me. If people behave unwise I'd rather deal with the consequences in play rather than having a mechanical stick for it. Maybe it's because I'm coming from an Ascension, but I don't feel like Mage needs a morality trait (which yes, it still is, just very different from what is commonly understood as morality in our society). If I feel a certain act would damage the soul inherently I'll represent that through a custom condition.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post

It just doesn't serve any purpose for me. If people behave unwise I'd rather deal with the consequences in play rather than having a mechanical stick for it. Maybe it's because I'm coming from an Ascension, but I don't feel like Mage needs a morality trait (which yes, it still is, just very different from what is commonly understood as morality in our society). If I feel a certain act would damage the soul inherently I'll represent that through a custom condition.
                            I don't see any advantage in removing it. After all the poisoning of the soul by Hubris is supported well when Wisdom gets low and paradox starts kicking like a mule. I like that it doesn't follow the same markers as Morality does for mortals, or Wisdom/morality in 1e, but I really don't see what's added to the game by removing it. Maybe seeing it in practice would change my mind, but so far nothing said here gives me any reason to try it in my games.

Comment

I don't see any advantage in removing it. After all the poisoning of the soul by Hubris is supported well when Wisdom gets low and paradox starts kicking like a mule. I like that it doesn't follow the same markers as Morality does for mortals, or Wisdom/morality in 1e, but I really don't see what's added to the game by removing it. Maybe seeing it in practice would change my mind, but so far nothing said here gives me any reason to try it in my games.
                              That's fine! Everyone has their own taste. For me Wisdom adds things I find contraproductive to the game, hence why removing it is an improvement. If you like wisdom and feel it adds something to your game do keep it in!

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Working...
                              X