Left Hand Path and 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Hand Path and 2nd Edition

I might be running a game of Mage in the near future, and during the current Drive-Thru sale, I noticed that Left Hand Path is only $3.50. I vaguely recall that by the time the book was being written, the developers of Mage already had some ideas of the direction that the gameline's 2nd edition would take. So, how compatible is this book with the new edition of Mage? Has anyone here used its contents (setting or mechanical) within a 2e game?

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    I might be running a game of Mage in the near future, and during the current Drive-Thru sale, I noticed that Left Hand Path is only $3.50. I vaguely recall that by the time the book was being written, the developers of Mage already had some ideas of the direction that the gameline's 2nd edition would take. So, how compatible is this book with the new edition of Mage? Has anyone here used its contents (setting or mechanical) within a 2e game?
    I haven't looked at it in a long time to see if the mechanics can work with 2e, but I would strongly recommend buying it regardless. It has a lot of really cool stuff and some much needed clarity on it's subject matter.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

ArcaneArts That's good to know. I remember seeing people singing its praises on this forum as well. I'll definitely consider it then. Thanks!

Comment

I agree with ArcaneArts the book is more useful for it's lore elements and it's exposition on various types of left-handed mages. Like all 1e legacies, the ones presented there would need some tender conversion to 2e (they have 3 attainments instead of 5).

Also if you are not familiar with 1e, watch out for terms like covert and vulgar, they have no meaning in 2e. (vulgar spells always risked paradox, covert spells didn't unless they somehow stretched credibility for witness sleepers. The 2e system doesn't have this as an explicit trait of spells and is mainly handled through Reach and dissonance)

Comment

Left Hand Path is the book that made me apply to be Mage Developer; the game ddn't have a regular person at the time (Eddy and Matt McFarland did individual books) and we were slightly constrained in what we could do as we couldn't make any decisions for the whole game line.

BUT! It's (and to a much, much lesser extent Imperial Mysteries) is pretty clearly the game evolving into its second edition. The Orders are mostly as they'll end up, it's got the moral nuance of all mages being kinda awful, and looking at why the red lines mainstream ones do have are there that I associate with 2e, it treats the Seers as an equal but seperate Order, etc.

Mechanically, Scelesti, Tremere, and Rapt (nee Mad Ones) are going to be in the next-but-one Awakening sourcebook, Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed. That does have background info in it, too, so as to not require Left Hand Path, but as a Night Horrors book it's skewed toward "let us explain Scelesti's deal and rules so we can then present X example Scelesti" - it doesn't have an equivalent of the chapter in Night Horrors about what tempts a mage from the doctrine of their Order, or the Legacies that were in LHP.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Working...
          X