Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Reaper Legacy

Good day to everyone,
    I am currently GMing a campaign setted in Florence during the first Black Plague and i m stucked with one of the antagonist.
    I need some cool idea for a Reaper mage with a self made legacy that uses the souls with the Prime or Spirit arcanum to obtain some kind of boon
    Any ideas?

Thanks

What kind of boon? Why Prime or Spirit?

Obviously part of the point is someone stealing souls, but what else defines what you need for the Villain? Technically, even normal Mages can steal souls for sacrament Yantras or research without turning it into a Legacy.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Well, the png is a thyrsos, of the diamond order, a provost probably, he/she (not yet decided) keeps the reaper activity well hidden.
      I need a unique legacy attainment based on spirit, prime or both, fift level, the mage has worked on it for years and still has not attained it.
      All the work and risk should have a great meaning to it, i don t want e pure evil antagonist but an ethical questionable one

Comment

Combining Spirit/Prime would be difficult since Death is used to manipulate souls. You'd have to use the soul while it's still inside a person in that case, and even then you might have to stretch what Prime and Spirit can do with souls.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

One reaper legacy I wrote up used souls to perfect their spells into attainments via prime, thus making it all but impossible to dispell them. Something else I allow reapers in geenral is to relinquish spells safely by sacrificing a soul instead of a willpower dot.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Prime has the symbols of Magic and Truth, some degree of Auras and Leylines. Spirit largely manipulates, well, Spirits and the Shadow. Both have some overlap with the concept of Resonance (Prime has direct Resonance manipulation, Spirits deal in Resonance Flavored Essence). So, you might be able to turn a Soul into a Hallow/Loci, which would provide a bounty of Mana and reshape the local Shadow's topography by supplying Resonance compatible Spirits with Essence. Like funneling arms to your chosen faction. (If set during the Black Plague, maybe they are turning souls in "health" Hallow/Loci, reinforcing those Spells/Spirits to combat the plague?)

Souls and Spirit also brings to mind the crazy things Idigam can do with souls.

Prime, what with Imbuement and such, and Spirit, what with Fetish and such, both involve making X into a magic item. Maybe turning the soul itself into an Imbued Item and/or Fetish? Mechanically it might be similar to what Flinty said above, where it gets counted as a Legacy Attainment instead of a normal spell and/or doesn't need a Willpower Dot to be Relinquished. (Goal: Give Sleepers a little magic to call their own. Unless their soul, which has the magic, gets stolen...)
            Last edited by Vent0; 09-22-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              Combining Spirit/Prime would be difficult since Death is used to manipulate souls. You'd have to use the soul while it's still inside a person in that case, and even then you might have to stretch what Prime and Spirit can do with souls.
              He/she has also death 3 for extracting souls but that arcana will not be a part of the legacy

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                Prime has the symbols of Magic and Truth, some degree of Auras and Leylines. Spirit largely manipulates, well, Spirits and the Shadow. Both have some overlap with the concept of Resonance (Prime has direct Resonance manipulation, Spirits deal in Resonance Flavored Essence). So, you might be able to turn a Soul into a Hallow/Loci, which would provide a bounty of Mana and reshape the local Shadow's topography by supplying Resonance compatible Spirits with Essence. Like funneling arms to your chosen faction. (If set during the Black Plague, maybe they are turning souls in "health" Hallow/Loci, reinforcing those Spells/Spirits to combat the plague?)

Souls and Spirit also brings to mind the crazy things Idigam can do with souls.

Prime, what with Imbuement and such, and Spirit, what with Fetish and such, both involve making X into a magic item. Maybe turning the soul itself into an Imbued Item and/or Fetish? Mechanically it might be similar to what Flinty said above, where it gets counted as a Legacy Attainment instead of a normal spell and/or doesn't need a Willpower Dot to be Relinquished. (Goal: Give Sleepers a little magic to call their own. Unless their soul, which has the magic, gets stolen...)
                Transform souls into health node to contrast the plague would be a great idea, but a spirit master could create one even without a soul and an attainment, or am i missing something?

Comment

But maybe, a fifth level attainment could extend the scale to a whole city by consuming a soul...

Comment

Legacy Attainment means it can't be dispelled or vulnerable to Dissonance. Which might be important for curing a largely Sleeper population. A Hallow would also mean a steady supply of Mana for spells, and prior Legacy Attainments might do something with Resonance that might play into the 5th one.

Comment

True, but a non reaper legacy could do the same.
                      What could add the soul burning?

Comment

This is actually a little similar to an idea I had last night which was a Rapt who was experimenting with merging souls with manifestations of Prime like Nodes, Ley Lines and Hallows. My thinking was that souls being able to power spells of the subtle arcana would allow him to merge a soul with those for a magical effect. In particular, Nodes already have magical effects based on the Gross arcana, and merging a soul into it would pair it with a subtle arcana effect. The effect might vary a bit depending on the Resonance of the Node, this is really rough but I was thinking basically along the lines of Death, the Node gains the Universal Anchor Condition. Fate, tasks attempted in the Node either dramatically succeed or fail. Mind, Meditation rolls take only an instant action, and exceptional success only takes 3 successes. Prime, the Node helps ground a Mage’s mana when they use FMS granting an extra 3 safe rolls. Spirit, The Node also becomes a locus.

Another idea is bending the rules a bit and finding a way to merge spirits and souls in an attempt to give spirits a sense of benevolence and other more human characteristics that they usually lack.

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                          True, but a non reaper legacy could do the same.
                          What could add the soul burning?
                          Maybe the exotic Sacrement requirement could justify a Reach, letting a 5 dot spell Attaintment have 2. That's enough for Advanced and Indefinite.

Comment

Those are interesting options, thanks to everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X