Reshaping the Divine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshaping the Divine

I've immensely enjoyed reading Acrozatarim's writeups of Pangaeans in this thread (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...gaea-unleashed). However, the idea of heart stones containing the essence/Essence of some of these mighty and terrifying beings really caught my interest. Werewolves seeking to revive Father Wolf are already a minor feature of the CoD setting. However, for some reason the idea struck me that trying to resurrect a dead Pangaean is exactly the sort of hubristic thing some Mages (Pentacle, Seers, others?) might do.

Anyone have thoughts on specific Awakened groups that might wish to bring back one of the old deities as it was (or even try to alter its nature slightly)? What symbolic rituals and sacrifices might be needed to make such a thing possible?

What a fascinating proposition. Let me ask you this,do you think a master of Life and Spirit might create a spell to alter an Pangaean nature?

Comment

Hmmm, if I were houseruling this as a GM, it might be feasible for a Rank 3/4 Pangaean. Rank 5 and above were basically gods in the Sundered World era, and also each seem to have several purviews rather than just one. I think permanently changing the nature of such a being should be a mythic event, and thus not handled by spells (at least below archmaster level).

Comment

For reshaping a dead Rank 5+ Pangaean in the process of reviving it, obviously the method and likelihood will vary by game. One concept I had is for a group of Seers (the scale might demand multiple Pylons collaborating) who work to set up the necessary conditions to resurrect, say the Fox. However, the directives from the Exarchs require sacrifices - dozens or hundreds of humans killed and their flesh fed to three hundred and thirty-three specially raised foxes. The apex of the process would necessitate that one Seer who is a Prelate of [insert instigating Exarch here] also be sacrificed in front of the collected Omphalos Stones. The Prelate's soul will act as a nucleus for the Pangaean to coalesce around. Fox, Vermillion and Wise will be alive once more.... with a convenient backdoor into her mind, assuming she is not outright loyal to the Supernal tyrants thanks to the remaining tatters of the old personality.

Comment

Well, you want to bind a doomsday wolf's mind to the Exarch's will, and as the Seers see it, the way they manifests it in the Fallen is through the Chains (aka the Seers' name for yantras). So what is the most powerful wolf binding chain of them all ? Gleipnir !

That particular chain was forged by combining some "impossible" things : the sound of a cat's footfall, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, the sinews of a bear, the breath of a fish and the spittle of a bird.

But this is Father Wolf, so things are not that simple. So first you need to gather all those ingredients in the Astral, then forge the chain, which can only be created by a Changeling who "succeeds the dwarven crafts". Then it can be used to chain the appropriate words from the Omphalos and drag them inside the Prelate's Oneiros. Its fine, what is the worst that could happed by making a "hole" in High Speech and trapping a part of the ineffable in a powerful mage's mortal mind ?

Second is that you need the Changeling to forge pure lunargent into a mead horn, which the Prelate needs to engrave with the stolen runes. Then it needs to be filled with mead brewed with water from the Underworld's Ocean of Fragments and the heart blood of a true poet that was hunted down until he broke (became a vegetable at Integrity 0).

Third you need to collect Essence from spirits whose domain contains those impossible things and have the Changeling forge them into the thin, silken thread that is the physical Gleipnir.

At the apex of the ritual you mentioned, the Prelate drinks from the mead horn and hangs himself from a tree located in a field of wolfsbane.

Thus is Urfarah bound to the Exarchs in a way that can sidestep imperial magic. I may have gone overboard with the steps, but reviving Urfarah is world shattering big and I wanted the Seers to be busy on "weird, disconnected projects, yet they pursue them with a disturbing intensity".
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 09-23-2018, 01:16 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by Kvedulf View Post
            What symbolic rituals and sacrifices might be needed to make such a thing possible?
            It's pretty easy to just bring them back. How to do it is in the Dark Eras book, where they were first introduced.

'As long as its heart remains — its soul, a physically solid thing — it will reform just like a spirit that still has Essence when discorporated. If the heart is taken, then the Pangaean cannot reform; but as long as its carcass remains, should the heart be returned it will be restored to life.'

While knowing about it might be a feather in the cap for Seers, actually letting loose a primal foundational element of a more predatory world would be against much of what the Seers stand for. They're not trying to bring about a world of monsters and wonder, even if it could conceivably be a controlled chaos, they focus a lot of energy on making sure those things don't get out in the first place. Not counting solitaires it seems like it might fit for a radical Mysterium or Adamantine Arrow faction. Of course you could always have a coalition of wolf-blooded magi who are driven to it, or really anyone under the influence of the remnants of a lost Pangaean.
            Last edited by nofather; 09-23-2018, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Isn't that what the Nemesis would want ? If they controlled the most powerful hunter ever, then any spirits who does not get Seers approval would not be able to do cross over at best and will get destroyed at worst, with ones they want to cultivate getting premium resources.

Even if the Shadow was pacified by their standards, they can just use a Spirit master or imbued item to keep him fed and send him to hunt the Orders.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                Isn't that what the Nemesis would want ? If they controlled the most powerful hunter ever, then any spirits who does not get Seers approval would not be able to do cross over at best and will get destroyed at worst, with ones they want to cultivate getting premium resources.
                No? 'This Exarch enforces the division between flesh and spirit...The Spirit Seal lets human ignorance and passions breed monsters in the Shadow, but it conceals the arts that shamans and traditional sorcerers use to placate and bind them.'

Pangaea existed in opposition to that, it was a passage where you could literally walk into the Shadow, or maintain contact with gods and understand that actions have consequences. Now when people are lousy and spirits get out of control, they can't just go over and see rabid spirits going out of control, they remain ignorant that actions have consequences.

Plus there's the potential that bringing back Father Wolf (though not likely the other Pangaeans) may bring back Pangaea and basically wreck everything for the Seers. Fortunately there seem to be plenty of lesser Pangaeans to work with.

Even if the Shadow was pacified by their standards, they can just use a Spirit master or imbued item to keep him fed and send him to hunt the Orders.
                Which is something they could do with a spirit, or a person or mage, without bringing an ancient unearthly god-thing into the mix.

Pangaeans aren't spirits, and they don't seem to have any particular control over spirits beyond their individual spirit arcana may allow.
                Last edited by nofather; 09-23-2018, 02:03 AM.

Comment

One possibility that seems interesting is the creation of an apex guardian would absolutely fit Nemesis but a a resurrection of Father Wolf would not. Don't forget about side effects, though. It's easy to imagine that the Imperium to generate a mighty border guardian could have the unplanned consequence of reinvigorating the former holder of that title. (Maybe as a Spirit with loads of manifestations and perhaps as a Pangean.)

Another interesting option would be success leading to a very different apex predator in the distant past resulting in a different Uratha as a result of their "parent" having always been quite different (as a consequences of claiming that symbolism for the Nemesis) This would, of course, not escape Luna's attention, who could do quite a bit about it. A few shenanigans later and you could end up with Father Wolf being woken by a strange alliance of lunes, magi, archmagi, and werewolves, reverting his nature and capping off a counter Imperium. You could have a series of campaigns out of that mess.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

My long term aspiration in every game is literally ressurect Fox. I've tried to set up something involving that but, schedules and such...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                      My long term aspiration in every game is literally ressurect Fox. I've tried to set up something involving that but, schedules and such...
                      Why Fox? Think he'd probably have a grudge against mages since they ripped out his heart & soul.

Our last mage game had the resurrection of Ant, which tied into the destruction of the Seer Myrmidons.
                      Last edited by nofather; 09-23-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Why Fox? Think he'd probably have a grudge against mages since they ripped out his heart & soul.

Our last mage game had the resurrection of Ant, which tied into the destruction of the Seer Myrmidons.
                        I don't have a good answer. Sorry. It's just kind of personal.

Cool about the ant thing. Thats clever. I don't have a clever answer.

Comment

Nothing wrong with just liking Foxes.

Comment

I don't know about that... My previous ST and I had a serious falling out over stuff like that, and even here on the forums I get the impression that doing something "just because it sounds fun" is a lousy excuse. I probably need more sobering reminders that being a skilled player and helping the ST tell their story is more important than character arcs for tabletops.

I don't know what I was thinking. I think it was to do with supernal ascension in an archmage game but I can't tell anymore how bad of an idea that is

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                              I don't know about that... My previous ST and I had a serious falling out over stuff like that, and even here on the forums I get the impression that doing something "just because it sounds fun" is a lousy excuse. I probably need more sobering reminders that being a skilled player and helping the ST tell their story is more important than character arcs for tabletops.
                              To be fair it's supposed to be the players story, too.

I don't know what I was thinking. I think it was to do with supernal ascension in an archmage game but I can't tell anymore how bad of an idea that is
                              Fox is Wise enough to probably have some hints for that, might be a good patron for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X