Reshaping the Divine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
    I don't know about that... My previous ST and I had a serious falling out over stuff like that, and even here on the forums I get the impression that doing something "just because it sounds fun" is a lousy excuse. I probably need more sobering reminders that being a skilled player and helping the ST tell their story is more important than character arcs for tabletops.
    That is the opposite of true. If an ST wants to tell a story they’ve pre-crafted themselves they can write it. Tabletop gaming is player character centric and collaborative between all parties.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I agree with both posters. First off, all players narrate the story of the game. The ST sets up the scenes and have the majority of the creative power, but the other players will shape each scene in return and through that have immense creative power as well.
      And character arcs are part of the story. The only time I look down on character arcs is if one player takes too much time from the others so they don't get to shine, or if a player consciously chooses a character path that becomes a hinder for the other players and the story.
      "Just because it sounds fun" is the number one way for players to introduce new and exciting stories that no one expected when going into the game, and what's led to some of the most fun moments we've ever had when playing roleplaying games.
      Like the time my mage cast a spell that put his own Awakening in a state of paradox which led to Paradox and a fun journey for the rest of the Cabal to the center of his Abyss-ridden Oneiros and dispell the spell that kept the whole thing going. Or when my mortal (who had the least amount of combat training before being put in a combat situation) thought it was a good idea to shoot a hostage with intentions to wound; completely unplanned but still colours what the rest of the PCs thinks of him about a year after it happened.
      Last edited by Tessie; 09-24-2018, 06:34 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
        I don't know about that... My previous ST and I had a serious falling out over stuff like that, and even here on the forums I get the impression that doing something "just because it sounds fun" is a lousy excuse. I probably need more sobering reminders that being a skilled player and helping the ST tell their story is more important than character arcs for tabletops.

I don't know what I was thinking. I think it was to do with supernal ascension in an archmage game but I can't tell anymore how bad of an idea that is
        Well, I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but I play and run games for fun.

Fun-shaming is as reprehensible as any sort of shaming is. Game on.

Comment

I wince at that from both side. "Doing something for fun" is the entire point of playing a game. If your not doing it for fun, what's the point of playing? Fun should absolutely be the driving principle.

On the other side: I've had or played with people that would come to the game -as a rule not a exception- and use it as their personal playground or power trip, not understand why everyone else could not just get with their program, and had zero or little concept of how to socialize in a social game.

I've also had GMs that were just as bad.
          Last edited by HarbingerLeo; 10-02-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

The problem is not that they are having fun. The problem is that they don't take the other players' fun into consideration.
            As I said: "The only time I look down on character arcs is if one player takes too much time from the others so they don't get to shine, or if a player consciously chooses a character path that becomes a hinder for the other players and the story."

Some ground expectations should be put down before the game. This is the premise, this is the intended tone, and this is how we want the game to go forward. There will always be side tracks, and that's completely fine (unless you've all agreed not to deviate from the intended story) but if you consistently can't or won't keep within those parameters then you're wasting the other players' time regardless if you did it for fun, for realism, for "serious" storytelling, or whatever.

Tl;dr
            The problem is not the player's motivation. The problem is their disrespect for the other players.
            Last edited by Tessie; 10-03-2018, 06:59 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
            X