Forge Hyperium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forge Hyperium

Perhaps this belongs in Creative Thaumaturgy, but I feel this is still too much in the category of "needing development." The idea is simple: an amalgam of the seven Perfected Metals called tentatively "hyperium." The current idea is that the basic success gets an object that acts as a +2 Tool yantra for any magic, and can store one point of Mana. Dots of Potency can be allocated to raising the Yantra bonus ad the mana capacity: one point of Potency raises one of these attributes by one. For +2 Reach, the result can be Lasting.

Given how powerful and rare yantras beyond +2 are I'd refrain from letting potency increase the yantra bonus offered. Especially since yantra bonus is never a function of potency of a spell and rather the quality of the symbol involved.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

I can see that. Any suggestions on alternative properties? Whatever it is, it needs to be pretty impressive given how much of a pain it would be to create.

Comment

It's probably not the interpretation you're going for, but I'd generally not give it any properties beyond the universal +2 yantra.
        Unless you want there to be some special "Symbol for Metal" metal, it'd be like you're taking the 7 symbolic flavours of ice cream, and mixing them together. It's not going to be as interesting as a more specific combination.
        Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 10-01-2018, 12:49 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Maye something sideways to that?

Maybe steam driven cars that have perfect energy efficiency, zero friction surfaces, and weights barely enough for gravity to hold it to the ground. It may look like steampunk's dream out of the Victorian Era, but out runs and preforms anything any car maker was even thinking of making.

Maybe hand the perfectly conductive perfected copper to a CPU chip manufacturer and watch them babble with glee as they make smart phone that out preforms anything for the next fifty years, and anything less then a super computer for the next century!

Make simple arrows that shoots straight through main battle tanks the long way without slowing down.

Make a violin out of perfected wood that make people wonder if you've uncovered a there to unknown Stradivarius.

Use a little forces magic to convert energy types, and make your power intensive smart home home run off the fire in your fireplace for weeks with a single log of wood.
          Last edited by HarbingerLeo; 10-01-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Stradivarius violins, in all honesty, aren't all that special in terms of sound quality. I've seen the oscilloscope tracings myself, and the closest we have today aren't high-end custom-crafted instruments, but cheap, factory made student violins.

Comment

That's kind of disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by HarbingerLeo View Post
                Maye something sideways to that?

Maybe steam driven cars that have perfect energy efficiency, zero friction surfaces, and weights barely enough for gravity to hold it to the ground. It may look like steampunk's dream out of the Victorian Era, but out runs and preforms anything any car maker was even thinking of making.

Maybe hand the perfectly conductive perfected copper to a CPU chip manufacturer and watch them babble with glee as they make smart phone that out preforms anything for the next fifty years, and anything less then a super computer for the next century!

Make simple arrows that shoots straight through main battle tanks the long way without slowing down.

Make a violin out of perfected wood that make people wonder if you've uncovered a there to unknown Stradivarius.

Use a little forces magic to convert energy types, and make your power intensive smart home home run off the fire in your fireplace for weeks with a single log of wood.
                So, since it is Perfected, maybe a +5 Equipment Bonus, with potentially 8-Again or Rote thrown in?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I suppose you could go that route. I'd normally reserve 8-again for the work of a gifted master that had spent decades practicing their craft. I was thinking perfectly mundane things "cheated" their way around normal limits to the point of even mildly well put together things became extraordinary.

+5 & 8-again works though I suppose.

Comment

Don't ignore the possibility of an Exceptional Success on the casting. You could have a bonus that allows assigned successes to tweaks to, say, mana capacity, but have a fixed +1 to tool Yantra bonus from simply being an especially magical material. (+1 to the tool bonus meaning it increases a +2 to a +3, mind)
                    Then, on an Exceptional Success, it could improve to a +2 to a tool Yantra bonus and maybe some other especially nifty thing.

I rather like adding a bonus to revealing truths with the item. (quite possibly the same as the tool Yantra bonus.) If the item is designed to do just that, it gets magically better as part of the equipment bonus. If not, it's more incidental. Perhaps Exceptional Successes or Dramatic Failures using the item tend to also uncover something unknown.

Also consider that adding mystical properties to a material might better be a function of symbolism added to material through the process of creation and not via the skill with which it is made. That, to me, suggests a maximum effect that casting can achieve and that is revealed as your success improves. (Could just use Exceptional Success for that distinction) Further options could open up if you use Reach.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

You could make it a semi-transparent, glass like substance that looks like it has mists swirling inside it perpetually. Its property is to pierce non-Supernal deception, like a Changeling's Mask, a Werewolf's stealth in Hishu, a Vampire's use of Obfuscation, a Mummy's Sahu, etc. It can let you see them for what they are, but not end them. Further, while carrying an item made of Hyperium, your Peripheral Sight will ping when one is actively being used nearby. If you have the presence of mind to look at the item, the mist will shift in some way to give a clue of what it is. Lastly, it can be used as a +2 yantra for any spells concerning prediction or revelation. That way, you can make it into a magical magnifying lens, or a monocle, a crystal pendulum for scrying, or even a crystal ball.

Thematically, you are uniting many metals with strong symbology, which lets you call down Matter that does not occlude Fallen magic.
                      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-01-2018, 10:04 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Forge Hyperium (Matter ••••)

Practice: Patterning
                        Primary Factor: Duration
                        Cost: 1 Mana
                        Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Occult, Science

This spell combines the perfected metals to create an exotic alloy with strong connections to the Supernal, especially to Truth. Created from equal amounts of the seven metals, hyperium has a distinctive iridescent shimmer, and is normally Durability 1, with the the ability to hold 1 point of Mana. Both these values can be increased by allocating dots of Potency.

Equipment made from hyperium gives a +5 bonus, and any hyperium object can be used as a +2 Tool Yantra for any spell, even if the semiotics don’t line up, as with a sword used in a spell to fix a house. Additionally, hyperium allows its bearer to see through any form of supernatural concealment, Supernal or not, including but not limited to a changeling’s mask, a vampire’s Obfuscate or a werewolf’s Hisil stealth, and use of such in the bearer’s vicinity will trigger Peripheral Mage Sight. Attempts to pierce active concealment abilities, such as Obfuscate, provoke a Clash of Wills.

+2 Reach: The effect is Lasting
                        Last edited by LadyLens; 11-02-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Where bouts can I find information on the perfected materials? I'm not familiar with them.

Comment

Originally posted by TenguGrib View Post
                            Where bouts can I find information on the perfected materials? I'm not familiar with them.
                            http://theonyxpath.com/sheer-perfect...n-development/

Comment

Something semi-relevant I just came across; I've found a claim that the word for Hyperium would be 'Electrum' (sorta, it'd be an alloy of the seven planetary metals). I've not been able to verify it though. (It's also the name for white gold, which might make it less useful a name.)

Comment

Working...
                              X