No announcement yet.

Are Mages allowed to talk about magic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Mages allowed to talk about magic?

This was inspired by the book and film "Heaven is for Real", and how you could use it in an RPG adventure. Let's say a child has a near-death experience and describes how he went to Heaven, then returned to Earth. A Guardian reads the book and immediately recognises his story as an Obrimos Awakening. He has none of the occult jargon, but every detail he describes matches up. But the child doesn't claim to have any supernatural powers or even any information he couldn't have got through mundane means. What's the reaction of the Guardians? On one hand, it's a security breach that needs to be locked down. On the other, he's not performing any magic in front of Sleepers, so he can't be doing any real harm. Occult stories are all over the media - even Phoebe from Friends did a ritual casting and got hit by Paradox. Without any actual evidence, what makes this story so dangerous? More generally, what if someone Awakened and then went on Youtube to describe it, without performing any magic? "Yo, what up Youtube, it's ya boy Logan Paul! Just went to the Primal Wild and Awakened as a Thyrsus, so that was intense..." Do the Guardians censor that kind of information?

The thing is with mage, is that not keeping magic secret has a price that affects all mages. Paradox. So it's pretty much as much as a safety concern as it is a secrecy one. As for the reaction to the kid, well I don't think it would be that bad. One I doubt they will kill him straight up when they could instead just invite him into the Order(though maybe with some force and veiled threats). As for the YouTube thing, most people wouldn't believe and think you were just acting up. If it was that easy to capture the supernatural on video you wouldn't see Network Zero having that hard of a time don't you. While I don't know exactly the effect that the sleeper curse has over video I do think it would work on some extent or unless someone contradicts me on this.

Comment

That's what "The Veil" in the Guardian's name is - the law against revealing magic to Sleepers. It's meant for the protection of Sleepers from the soul-damaging effects of the Abyss more than for mages' protection, and it gets broken a lot.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Though that’s Sleepers at large from what I understand. Some Sleepers can and do believe in magic, and Mages employ them. They just don’t get to see the magic happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
          That's what "The Veil" in the Guardian's name is - the law against revealing magic to Sleepers. It's meant for the protection of Sleepers from the soul-damaging effects of the Abyss more than for mages' protection, and it gets broken a lot.
          Right, but does just hearing someone describe magic cause any harm?

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth3 View Post

Right, but does just hearing someone describe magic cause any harm?

No, so mage frequently do tell them. They just can't show them.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Even if you're not directly exposing sleepers to magic, the real problem with putting out a book, online video, or newspaper ad, any way of public claim, especially one that uses the proper names for anything. Is that the Seers are just as likely to find you as the Guardians are, and having either investigating deeper into your life can become inconvenient very quickly.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seth; Inept shaman, Wildlife studies major, Recently changed Irraka. Probably the most fun I've had putting my own character through so much.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Yep, they can tell Sleepers, but its a big breach of the law of the Veil. Which is fine, so long as they don't get caught. Sure, Paradox can be deadly at the wrong time, but antagonizing the Seers, Guardians and especially the Lex Magicka has very dire consequences. Or any other supernatural, werewolves do not like having their Veil lifted or vampires enjoy breaches of the Masquerade.

But the real problem is Quiescense. Sure, you can tell people, they can wholeheartedly believe you. Yet the moment a Sleeper sees overt magic, they will overwrite their memory to "rationalize" it away. That would be fine if they didn't break on a fundamental level each time, suddenly a very nice person has too many magic induced breaking points and becomes a killer, or goes insane, or has panic attacks or develops schizophrenia. Those are the best case scenarios, because they might figure out the truth, become hunters and actively try to kill you.

In short, Sleepers interacting with mages engaging in their shadow identity will either be caught in the crossfire or be statistically doomed to have their mind torn apart from repeated exposure to the unveiled Supernal.
                  Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                    Yep, they can tell Sleepers, but its a big breach of the law of the Veil. Which is fine, so long as they don't get caught.
                    Not really, since the Orders employ Sleepers who know full well that they're working for Mages. Someone has to do the paperwork.

Comment

I thought those were Sleepwalkers. Unless it was a Silver Ladder or Guardians created cult, I thought telling Sleepers directly what they were involved in was a breach of the Veil. Well, I guess the law technically states telling unitiated Sleepers about the Mysteries is the issue, makes sense.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

It's not like you're going to invite a Sleeper into your Sanctum to clean it.
                        But you might tell one who has to do your taxes and is wondering what all the candles and goats are for.
                        Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 10-14-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                          I thought those were Sleepwalkers. Unless it was a Silver Ladder or Guardians created cult, I thought telling Sleepers directly what they were involved in was a breach of the Veil. Well, I guess the law technically states telling unitiated Sleepers about the Mysteries is the issue, makes sense.
                          It may well not be a hard and fast rule. Left-Hand Path details the Scelesti Angrboda's backstory where his cabal led a sleeper cult until it was wiped out by a Seer ministry. The way the story is told, it's not that the cabal were actively punished for having such close contact with sleepers, it's that other cabals refused to help them. If the Seers murder your cabal because you were an obvious target, that's your problem.

Comment

Remember, “Sleepwalker vs. Sleeper” doesn't necessarily match up with belief in magic. In particular, belief in magic is not enough to make you a Sleepwalker.

Comment

even Phoebe from Friends did a ritual casting and got hit by Paradox.
                              Which episode was that?

Comment

Working...
                              X